Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 06:57 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,837,963 times

Advertisements

I think I would be inclined to tip the driver more if I weren't already getting nicked for that "delivery fee."

I still give them at least 20%, even if they are complete knuckleheads who are 30 minutes late and drive up and down the street five times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 07:08 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,970,060 times
I refuse to get pizza from a place that charges a delivery fee. I have no problem with tipping the driver, but I will not pay the company extra for it.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:55 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,927,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
I refuse to get pizza from a place that charges a delivery fee. I have no problem with tipping the driver, but I will not pay the company extra for it.
I'm the same way. I will not order from a place with a delivery fee. I'd rather give that money to the driver as an extra tip.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:30 PM

175 posts, read 202,057 times
I can't speak for all pizza places but the one I worked for, we received $3.40 an hour and then 23 cents per mile and whatever tip someone chose to pay. The company would charge a delivery fee of 2.50 an hour. We had the wear and tear on our car, out in all kinds of weather, and dealing with all types of people. Oh and we were allowed pizzas for half off if we did carry out. None of it was worth it but you do what you have to do.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Americans are lazy. They will pay more if they can get away with doing less.

Go to any FF place. The drive thru line is full while the inside of the store is empty.
Take out has more people ordering than the sit down section of many places. And if these same places delivered you'd bet they would go with that option.

Americans are becoming more sedentary. That is a fact. And companies are cashing in on that fact.
It doesn't have to do with being lazy. It has to do with time. People don't want to waste time driving to a pizza place and pick up $20 worth of food. In many areas that can use up as many as 30 minutes of your time for something that's only $20. Perhaps your time is that cheap but it's not for many other people.

Many people simply don't care to eat at a FF establishment. They rather grab the food on their way home after work than go home, pick up the family, and then sit down at a FF place. Your analogy makes no sense.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:20 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,861,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Something just as absurd is companies who now charge a gas surcharge. I know a company that charges a gas surcharge to come out and cut your lawn. Another charges a surcharge for doing your annual heating/cooling system maintenance. How exactly were they going to provide this service without coming to your house? Why should the customer pay for the service AND the cost of getting there to provide it.
Might depend where you are. I charge a surcharge for my mobile cleaning service. I have to. Now, if it is within a certain radius of my house I don't. But if I have to drive further I do. And I'll charge more if I have to go even further. So basically, someone who lives 50 miles away from me is going to pay more for the same service as someone who lives in my town. I'm trying to make money by providing a service, not just provide a service. So all costs will get passed on. I have tried it by adding it separately or by just adding it in the price I quote. Either way, it's been a non issue for me.

I don't see much difference in pizza delivery. They are trying to make money by having a business. Someone else mentioned, boxes, etc can add to the cost. How that particular place decides to charge is up to them. hide it into the cost of all pizzas/menu items in the restaurant? Or add it to the cost of just the deliveries and call it that? It's going to be payed any way. How much is it overall? Some places may like to give the "perception" of having a cheaper pizza if you order in the restaurant. Or some customers may feel like they are getting a "cheaper" pizza if it is priced less and gladly just pay a bit more as a delivery fee. Other places may feel it's better just to add all costs into everything. Your paying either way. Still need to tip the driver though. Just some of the extra costs of convenience.

Want the cheapest? Cook it yourself!

Old 09-14-2015, 04:37 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,719,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Out of all our pizza places that deliver, only one charges a delivery fee. And that place is the worst run, pizza is delivered in an hour, cold, by some guy who I think is on something. We don't go there anymore.
And that's the appropriate solution. Not punishing the delivery driver because you don't like the pizza place's business model.

Quote:
It is NOT a standard way of doing business.
It is now a standard way of doing business in many, if not most, if not all parts of the nation. Perhaps you lived someplace where it wasn't, or are remember back when it wasn't, but today, in many places, it is.

Quote:
Pizza restaurants have historically viewed delivery as a necessary part of business, and have not charged a "delivery fee."
The two things are not mutually exclusive. It seems like you're trying to fit reality to your argument rather than fitting your argument to reality.

Quote:
As someone else said. They pay none of the drivers costs
Cost is irrelevant. See above.

Quote:
Unfortunately, if people just accept that. It wi soon be the standard.
It already is in many, if not most, if not all parts of the nation. And this is another aspect of this: Even if you steadfastly oppose some change like this, even if you somehow manage to mind-control all your neighbors to do so as well, if it is just your little corner of America, your opposition will be swept away by trends that sweep the entire nation.

Quote:
Why should the customer pay for the service AND the cost of getting there to provide it.
If you aren't willing to live without, then... Because that's what is being offered.

Quote:
It's like the tip jar (or pizza party fund) on the counter at coffee shops. What happened to good old fashioned customer service?
Americans categorically failed to adequately reward providers of "good old fashioned customer service". No - worse than that - Americans actively rewarded providers of crappier customer service at a marginally lower price. And service providers jumped at the opportunity to exploit that lower end of the market, driving the upper end of the market out of business, leaving the entire market free to capitalize on by the low-service providers.

You want someone to blame? Don't blame the service providers: We Americans demanded more free market capitalism and the service providers did precisely what they were supposed to do in that context. Don't blame the delivery people: They are surely faultless in this. You want someone to blame? Blame the typical American consumer. I know people don't get to slake the complainers' visceral blood thirst by blaming something so amorphous, but it truly who is to blame.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:19 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,045,850 times
Like someone else said, if you decide to stiff the driver, I wouldn't order delivery from that place again. You might get something 'extra' on your pizza.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:49 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
I would never stiff the driver -- it's not his fault the place is charging a delivery fee. AND -- the standard delivery fee around here is 4.95.

My thinking is -- they charge because a lot of places are on some sort of outside delivery service, like order from mymenu.com, or eattonight.com (I have no idea what these places are called -- just made those up) and THEY charge, because they aggregate from multiple places who DON'T deliver and deliver for you.

So people are used to paying delivery charges....

My favorite pizza place doesn't deliver at all.... and it's expensive and worth it. So good...

Old 09-14-2015, 12:34 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,473,520 times
For me, it's an easy choice to tip. I am technically outside my preferred pizza place's catchment area. However, I am fairly certain that something on my file notes that I am undemanding, cheerful, and tip consistently. Therefore, somehow, in spite of the fact that they are not really supposed to be delivering here (and it costs the driver slightly more, due to the distance, in a couple of ways), not only do they seem glad to exceed their area, but somehow I am usually at the short end of the time window.

I just don't delude myself that there's any cost difference to me in my total charge. That's just what it happens to cost to maintain a good relationship that they could quite justly terminate if I did not give them an incentive to continue it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance