Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 12:27 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Been debt free for 26 years now, and by being and staying debt free brings about much freedom! My adivce get out and stay out!
So I've never been one of the "debt free" at all cost type of people. My mindset is more of "let my money make as much money" as I can.

I have a mortgage. my mortgage rate is 3.99. currently I'm at ~10% gains on my investments. so right now being one year out from retirement I want to increase my net worth as much as possible. so pulling money out to pay off a mortgage, just to say I'm "debt free". nope.

I'm not sure what "freedom" it would bring me. I'm still working lol so my freedom is dependent on my vacation time.

Anyhoo I'm 58, I live in the Northeast US. cash assets about 1.5 mil, an annuity of 500K and about 600K equity in my house. I'm unfortunately at the top of my payscale at 77,000 bucks.

I've got children who's job they think is to burn money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 12:29 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I've never been one of the "debt free" at all cost type of people. My mindset is more of "let my money make as much money" as I can.

I have a mortgage. my mortgage rate is 3.99. currently I'm at ~10% gains on my investments. so right now being one year out from retirement I want to increase my net worth as much as possible. so pulling money out to pay off a mortgage, just to say I'm "debt free". nope.

I'm not sure what "freedom" it would bring me. I'm still working lol so my freedom is dependent on my vacation time.

Anyhoo I'm 58, I live in the Northeast US. cash assets about 1.5 mil, an annuity of 500K and about 600K equity in my house. I'm unfortunately at the top of my payscale at 77,000 bucks.

I've got children who's job they think is to burn money.

Sweet~ I advocate living the life you want! I was just sharing ours~...

Old 06-21-2018, 12:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
No we are not scared of debt, just been there and done that before and yes it's stressful way to live, owning beyond your means and having to work to keep things you don't really own! By becoming debt free we have made more money and enjoy a life of traveling etc! It took 4 years to get out debt, wasn't easy at first, since we live in a world of want and gratification yesterday! But hey we did it, yes we own everything out right, money not issues or working a job we might hate to keep things we don't own! I should also add, we owned our business as well, sold it six years ago and retired! Life is short was meant to enjoy, and that's what we are doing! ~~~ I'm just sharing what we've done...Basically live the life you want, there no right way or wrong way, just yours! Peace Out! ~~~
none of this means anything. you type a lot for someone who says nothing. im assuming your husband handled all the finances.

you probably belong in some kind of philosophical discussion forum. in the economics forums people are expected to say stuff that actually has some kind of meaning.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
none of this means anything. you type a lot for someone who says nothing. im assuming your husband handled all the finances.

you probably belong in some kind of weird philosophical discussion forum. in the economics forums people are expected to say stuff that actually has some kind of meaning.

We're partners in all things, there is no mine or yours! Like I said, you live the life you want, I was just sharing mine, I have nothing to prove to anyone, let alone strangers!

The meaning here? I guess it would be this... You can have a life living debt free and still be happy, that's all! Peace Out!

Old 06-21-2018, 12:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
We're partners in all things, there is no mine or yours! Like I said, you live the life you want, I was just sharing mine, I have nothing to prove to anyone, let alone strangers!

The meaning here? I guess it would be this... You can have a life living debt free and still be happy, that's all! Peace Out!
that doesnt mean anything. you can be debt free and be happy. you can have debt and be happy. nobody has ever argued against either of those statements.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that doesnt mean anything. you can be debt free and be happy. you can have debt and be happy. nobody has ever argued against either of those statements.

True! Why I said live your own life! Debt didn't make me happy~

Old 06-21-2018, 12:50 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Sweet~ I advocate living the life you want! I was just sharing ours~...
I was pretty lucky in that when I was growing up consumer debt was really not the "thing". people didn't have credit cards they way the do now so I never really got hooked on it. my parents were strict cash and carry type of individuals. but things like mortgages and car notes don't bother me.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I was pretty lucky in that when I was growing up consumer debt was really not the "thing". people didn't have credit cards they way the do now so I never really got hooked on it. my parents were strict cash and carry type of individuals. but things like mortgages and car notes don't bother me.

Same here, I was brought up not to have debt, credit cards etc, and work for yourself. So I followed in my parents footsteps!~ ..

Old 06-21-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Moderator cut: delete

It does help to own your own bushiness you built from the ground up and then sell it one day! We ran that business debt free! For the record I didn't marry a lawyer, I married a college student who was working at a bike shop, then became a lawyer some years later! ...

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-23-2018 at 10:01 AM..

Old 06-23-2018, 12:34 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
HHI: six figures
NW: seven figures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance