Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 02:40 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

In the end even the fund beta does not matter. It is the total portfolio performance.

I used those funds but at the end of the day the portfolio beats the s&p with 15% less volatility because of the overall structure. So i never look at fund beta , only portfolio volatility is important .

By the same token if they are going to proclaim that indexing beats 80% of funds shouldn' t they be subtracting out those with a smaller beta number then spy ?

Also funds vary their beta from time to time . I get a beta rating on the funds weekly from insight , it changes.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-20-2015 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 02:54 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
In the end even the fund beta does not matter. It is the total portfolio performance.

I used those funds but at the end of the day the portfolio beats the s&p with 15% less volatility because of the overall structure. So i never look at fund beta , only portfolio volatility is important .

It's great you never look at fund beta but the point still stands, something more volatile than the broad index should outperform in an upmarket and underperform in a down. On a risk adjusted basis things may or may not be different but you simply throwing this 6-7 year time frame for these fidelity funds is overlooking the obvious, they should be outperforming the index

Old 11-20-2015, 02:57 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
you want me to build you a fund that will beat the S&P 500 on most years?

i'd just invest 90% in SPY and 10% in one of the following (AAPL, BRK-A, GOOGL, etc.). more risk but in an up market, we'll prob be good.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm not sure what your basis for this is
take a look at 2010 target fund performance in 2008. they are supposed to be pretty conservative yet many lost 20%+, which is too much to lose for someone planning to retire in 2 years. even in a bad year like 2008, these should be losing 10% tops IMO.

Why Target-Date Funds Are Off-Target for Many Investors-Kiplinger

Old 11-20-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
take a look at 2010 target fund performance in 2008. they are supposed to be pretty conservative yet many lost 20%+, which is too much to lose for someone planning to retire in 2 years. even in a bad year like 2008, these should be losing 10% tops IMO.

Why Target-Date Funds Are Off-Target for Many Investors-Kiplinger

Retire in 2 year but live for another 20-30 possible? It's not really that risky

Old 11-20-2015, 03:05 PM

you seem like you might have highexpectations...

Old 11-20-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
you seem like you might have highexpectations...

I just countered your opinion with a a realistic timeframe, if that's your response then your already disclosed risk aversion isn't allowing you to see facts

Old 11-20-2015, 03:33 PM

lol, it depends on your level of risk aversion. i'm not going to tell you to be less risky if you know what you're getting yourself into.

when i get closer to retirement, it's much more about wealth preservation than growth even if i hope to live for 20-30 more years.

but then again, it depends on how much you have saved up. if you don't have much saved up, you may be more or less forced to take on more risk.

i.e., i don't think it's accurate for anyone to say "how much do you want to make in a year?" since there's no limit. but it is accurate to say "how much are you comfortable losing in a year?" and that can help assess asset allocation.

if you're retiring in 2 years (2016) and you're comfortable losing 25% in a year, then that's fine for you. in my case, i'm comfortable losing more like 10% in a year and would seek an asset allocation that will help me with my goals.

the answer to that question for my wife is "0 (little to no chance of loss)" so she tends to put all of her money into savings accounts and CDs.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
lol, it depends on your level of risk aversion. i'm not going to tell you to be less risky if you know what you're getting yourself into.

when i get closer to retirement, it's much more about wealth preservation than growth even if i hope to live for 20-30 more years.

but then again, it depends on how much you have saved up. if you don't have much saved up, you may be more or less forced to take on more risk.

i.e., i don't think it's accurate for anyone to say "how much do you want to make in a year?" since there's no limit. but it is accurate to say "how much are you comfortable losing in a year?" and that can help assess asset allocation.

if you're retiring in 2 years (2016) and you're comfortable losing 25% in a year, then that's fine for you. in my case, i'm comfortable losing more like 10% in a year and would seek an asset allocation that will help me with my goals.

the answer to that question for my wife is "0 (little to no chance of loss)" so she tends to put all of her money into savings accounts and CDs.

Your statement was "target date funds are too aggressive" and the basis for it was 2008 with 2 years to retirement, which ignores the possible decades of investing horizon still ahead

If you would have said "target date funds are too aggressive for me" that would have been different

Old 11-20-2015, 03:58 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpb2015 View Post
Hi,

I've decided to consult a financial advisor because I simply do not have the time to manage my finances. It's very hard for me to give up the control, but I have to imagine they can do a better job than me. At the bare minimum, I'll use them for a year to get a plan in order.

Can you please tell me if the following is normal:

1) He is a fee-only financial advisor that has been working in finance for 30 years. The fee is 1% of managed assets (he waived a lot of his normal "getting started" fees due to my income and potential for growth).

2) I have funds with Vanguard, Fidelity, and a few others - he requires that we "transfer" these funds over to Charles Schwab as a custodian (which he is in no way affiliated with). I put transfer in quotes because I'm confused with this point in particular. He made it seem like I could keep the original funds if that made sense (e.g. I could keep VFIAX from Vanguard).

3) I need to give him my username/password to manage my employers 401k.

Thanks!
I guess I am confused if he is a fee only based advisor. My fee based person gave me a suggested plan, reviewed what I had, and suggested some changes but only gave me lists of investments that fit each part of their suggested plan. They never gave me specific companies to move things to. They also charged me a one time fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance