Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:34 AM

612 posts, read 844,283 times

Advertisements

I'm on the road to improving my credit and eventually get a 660 and higher FICO score. What I'm wondering though, is that when applying for any/all major types of credit (a house, apartment, car, etc), would I be turned down because of the Chapter 7 still being on record? I've seen landlords in the renting section of this forum say they don't rent to people who've had bankruptcy within a certain amount of years (maybe 5, can't remember). So again, would a good FICO score be enough to overcome a bankruptcy and previous bad credit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 11:03 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,631,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
I'm on the road to improving my credit and eventually get a 660 and higher FICO score. What I'm wondering though, is that when applying for any/all major types of credit (a house, apartment, car, etc), would I be turned down because of the Chapter 7 still being on record? I've seen landlords in the renting section of this forum say they don't rent to people who've had bankruptcy within a certain amount of years (maybe 5, can't remember). So again, would a good FICO score be enough to overcome a bankruptcy and previous bad credit?
It all depends on the credit policies of the seller. An auto dealer desperate and under pressure to clear inventory may lend the money. A bank probably wouldn't. But this is just a general sense I have of the mechanics. 660 is still very low so who knows?

Old 01-20-2016, 11:15 AM

19,788 posts, read 22,688,984 times
A 660 FICO is mediocre at best. Absent of the Ch.7 filing I'm sure it would be higher, but FICO may drop your overall score due to the filing.

With that being said- it all depends on the creditor. Some banks have minimum score requirements that may differ based on what you are trying to finance. A 660 may enable you to finance a car at above prime rates, but that score may not enable the lender to underwrite a mortgage (to be sold on the secondary market).

Some smaller community banks or regional banks may take credit score and situation into account and possibly perform an in-house mortgage, usually an ARM product. In any event the answer to your question is best found by making appointments with some local banks ans simply asking them.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:18 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
The FICO is based on all the issues in your credit bureau, of which the bankruptcy will be a large part. It's not just one line of your credit bureau that says "Bankruptcy". Every account you included in the bankruptcy will be tagged as a "Charge Off" and will further lower that FICO.

So saying you have a good FICO to offset the bankruptcy would not happen.

By the way 660, is not a good FICO score. You'd be better off having a goal of 775+

Old 01-20-2016, 11:46 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
It depends upon what else is on the credit report. 660 score isn't marvelous. The bankruptcy will make it difficult to rent.

No problems with buying a car. They'll give a car loan to anyone. Really bad credit just pays a really high interest rate and doesn't get any bargains on the car's price.

I've rented to someone with a bankruptcy discharged just a month before she moved in. However, there was not so much as single late payment on her credit report. She lost her job and lost her income. She had enough income to pay rent on a small house but could not make her house payments. Without a single late payment and enough income, I had no problems renting to her.

So, a bankruptcy is not necessarily the kiss of death for renting, but it can be if your credit report shows that you have a history of not paying your bills.

As for getting a mortgage, I don't know what you would encounter. Mortgages are harder to get than they used to be. The amount of down payment you can bring to the deal has an effect on whether or not you can get the mortgage. (Down payment makes a difference on the car loan, too)

Old 01-20-2016, 11:51 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
By the way, if your credit score was really low at the time you applied for the bankruptcy and you have gotten that score up to a 660 since then, you are on the right track. If your score was in the low 500's and you've gotten it up to 660, keep on doing what you are doing.

If you've gotten the score up to 660, and you keep working on it, you'll get it up over 700, and then your credit starts looking pretty good. I think that mortgages need abut 720 and over to get the good rates, but you are headed in that direction.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:55 AM

660 for me was only a starting point, as I did say I planned to go higher. I mention this number due to a couple sources I viewed as having 660 as being a good starting FICO score. Seems there's several different charts, is there an official FICO score range?

Old 01-20-2016, 12:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Yes, and 660 is considered fair.

https://www.credit.com/credit-scores...-credit-score/

What Are the Different Credit Score Ranges? Bad to Excellent and Everything in Between - NerdWallet

Old 01-20-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It depends upon what else is on the credit report. 660 score isn't marvelous. The bankruptcy will make it difficult to rent.

No problems with buying a car. They'll give a car loan to anyone. Really bad credit just pays a really high interest rate and doesn't get any bargains on the car's price.

I've rented to someone with a bankruptcy discharged just a month before she moved in. However, there was not so much as single late payment on her credit report. She lost her job and lost her income. She had enough income to pay rent on a small house but could not make her house payments. Without a single late payment and enough income, I had no problems renting to her.

So, a bankruptcy is not necessarily the kiss of death for renting, but it can be if your credit report shows that you have a history of not paying your bills.

As for getting a mortgage, I don't know what you would encounter. Mortgages are harder to get than they used to be. The amount of down payment you can bring to the deal has an effect on whether or not you can get the mortgage. (Down payment makes a difference on the car loan, too)
Appreciate your replies, this is helpful. As for the bolded, this is exactly what I'm wondering. I HAVE (past tense) had a history of non-payment, however I've never been late on rent-- could furnish three different landlords w/ a positive reference for this. Utility bill may not matter, but I have this if it did.

With the FICO score, I thought this took into account payment history and what not, and it takes a while to get a high FICO score, i.e. a long enough time of paying bills on time. So a high FICO score wouldn't be enough to overcome a history of non-bill paying and a chapter 7 still on record?

Old 01-20-2016, 12:10 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
Appreciate your replies, this is helpful. As for the bolded, this is exactly what I'm wondering. I HAVE (past tense) had a history of non-payment, however I've never been late on rent-- could furnish three different landlords w/ a positive reference for this. Utility bill may not matter, but I have this if it did.

With the FICO score, I thought this took into account payment history and what not, and it takes a while to get a high FICO score, i.e. a long enough time of paying bills on time. So a high FICO score wouldn't be enough to overcome a history of non-bill paying and a chapter 7 still on record?

You cannot have a high FICO with a history of non-payment and a bankruptcy. Your FICO is BASED ON your history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance