Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:48 PM

403 posts, read 474,658 times

Advertisements

My brother was just unemployed 2 months ago and been on his job for about 5 weeks and was able to get a mortgage? I thought that you had to show financial stability to get approved for a house by being being employed for atleast 5 years in a row? Even if that was not the case why would someone want to make a decision like that and don't even know how stable their new job is?

Me and my mom does not understand his decision at all to jump to a house right unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 12:58 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,249,786 times
It's a factor but not the only factor. Down payment amount and credit score/report are probably more important.

Its a personal decision for him...most people who take on debt don't see the risk in it.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:05 PM

107,140 posts, read 109,499,736 times
banks are getting stricter and stricter about income requirements . many of the company's that buy these mortgages have increased their requirements for loans and will not buy mortgages without a proper work history .

in fact we are retired and have multiple 7 figures in our portfolio . no bank can say if we would be approved or not for a mortgage should i decide not to pay cash for a co-op unless i file for social security now and not delay it .

they all said it will be up to the underwriters to decide if they can do a mortgage or not without a steady source of income outside of our control .

no one here can tell you what the underwriters require for time on the job .

Old 12-28-2015, 07:01 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,703,797 times
When I bought my home, the bank said they required at least 6 months of being employed consecutively. I worked at a bank 2 years and it seems they look at much more then just the job. Perhaps he has great credit history and his previous employment has been very steady.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,770 posts, read 81,689,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
When I bought my home, the bank said they required at least 6 months of being employed consecutively. I worked at a bank 2 years and it seems they look at much more then just the job. Perhaps he has great credit history and his previous employment has been very steady.
Yes, they are looking at the risk, and if he was employed well before, and this job is similar to what he did before there is not reason to think he will fail. If there is a big enough down payment, the risk is minimal since they can sell it for enough to cover the loan if he does default.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:23 PM

62,058 posts, read 87,760,434 times
Not very likely. Most of them will want to calculate his average income based on his pay from the past 24 months.
Of course every situation could be different - great credit, big down payment, other assets are a plus. A letter from his employer stating that your brother have passed the probationary period may give the lender more confidence in his income.
His job matters because lenders want to compare his monthly house payments (incl. mortgage, property taxes and homeowners insurance) to his pre-tax income to decide the loan amount he can handle. Hourly employees are under the tightest microscope when it comes to getting a mortgage.
If his job by itself doesn't satisfy the lender, he may be able to improve his chances of approval by taking on a co-borrower with a more stable job history (someone who will be moving into the house with him).

Do you brother KNOWS how much money he would need UP FRONT to buy a house?

BTW: you and your mom are right.

Last edited by elnina; 12-28-2015 at 07:35 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 04:47 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,818,265 times
Go with a private mortgage, my sister got a mortgage on the day she got laid of. Also the previous two years, her income was on/off, it's how you sell yourselves. I got involved because she was so stressed out, they were going to denied her, but after talking to a private mortgage company,I helped her rearranged her ratios, and she was able to get her loan approved. She did put down significant down payment, more like 40-50% down payment.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:50 PM

26,204 posts, read 21,701,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Go with a private mortgage, my sister got a mortgage on the day she got laid of. Also the previous two years, her income was on/off, it's how you sell yourselves. I got involved because she was so stressed out, they were going to denied her, but after talking to a private mortgage company,I helped her rearranged her ratios, and she was able to get her loan approved. She did put down significant down payment, more like 40-50% down payment.

Why would her getting laid off on the day of closing matter at all? How would the mortgage company have even known? Unless she told them which is silly. I also don't understand how you would have helped, rearranged ratios on the day she got laid off, unless you are confusing got a mortgage with got a preapproval

My wife changed jobs after the preapproval process and the lender asked for the new offer letter and the first pay stub at that was it

Old 12-29-2015, 07:25 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,244,955 times
OP, the bank will look at the last two years tax returns, last two months pay stubs, last two or three months bank statements, net worth, total debt load, and length of time employed in their current field.

So, if your brother had a decent income the last two years, a decent credit score, a decent net worth, bank statements that were consistent, reasonable length of employment at his last job (usually two years) and is currently employed in the same field at about the same or higher pay, the couple months unemployment would likely not be a significant problem for the underwriters, given everything else was in order.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:51 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,818,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Why would her getting laid off on the day of closing matter at all? How would the mortgage company have even known? Unless she told them which is silly. I also don't understand how you would have helped, rearranged ratios on the day she got laid off, unless you are confusing got a mortgage with got a preapproval

My wife changed jobs after the preapproval process and the lender asked for the new offer letter and the first pay stub at that was it
We warned the company that it was a possibility and they verified her employment a week early. But for me and my husband they called and verified 2 hours before the loan is closed.
The rearrange the ratios was way ahead of her closing. Sorry it was not clear.
My sister didn't have a job lined up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance