Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:43 PM

26,197 posts, read 21,651,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
We warned the company that it was a possibility and they verified her employment a week early. But for me and my husband they called and verified 2 hours before the loan is closed.
The rearrange the ratios was way ahead of her closing. Sorry it was not clear.
My sister didn't have a job lined up.

It would be extremely odd that employment would be verified the day of closing.

Letting the mortgage company know ahead of time you may lose your job makes no sense either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:49 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,796,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It would be extremely odd that employment would be verified the day of closing.

Letting the mortgage company know ahead of time you may lose your job makes no sense either
Exactly, we were horrified. But I think, not closing but before they generate the loan document. Nobody warned us so I made sure it didn't happen for my sister.
I was worried that I would loose the interest rate lock.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:25 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,974,284 times
A mortgage broker has access to many money sources.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:42 AM

2,292 posts, read 3,095,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
OP, the bank will look at the last two years tax returns, last two months pay stubs, last two or three months bank statements, net worth, total debt load, and length of time employed in their current field.

So, if your brother had a decent income the last two years, a decent credit score, a decent net worth, bank statements that were consistent, reasonable length of employment at his last job (usually two years) and is currently employed in the same field at about the same or higher pay, the couple months unemployment would likely not be a significant problem for the underwriters, given everything else was in order.

Nailed it. This is exactly what they consider. I'm going through the home purchase process now and have been at my current job for just under two months. I was out of work for about 4.5 months after moving back to Phx but prior to moving here had 2.5 years employment history in the same exact field. The new job pays more. They needed my offer letter and two paystubs.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:23 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,952,568 times
I do mortgage loans for a living. The overall employment history will be reviewed, but being unemployed for two months is not a reason to not get a loan. What is important, how did he handle his finances while out of work? Did he add to his debt or did he have savings? We're other obligations paid on time? How long has he been in his field? Is there a particular reason he was our two months? Was he cautious and selective before he committed to a new company? If he is on salary, there would be no reason to average his income, unless he had several jobs, not just two with a 2 month gap.

The standard for the industry is to collect one month's pay stubs, if possible. If not available, a bona fide offer letter signed by the employer and the applicant. A call will go out to verify he started his job and to verify the terms in the letter. Some lenders may even require a post-closing pay stub, thinking this adds to the loans saleability.

As a result of the mortgage crisis, I do not know of a lender that does not do a pre-closing verification of employment. This can be as much as 10 days prior to close, all the way up until the day of closing.

It's a different mortgage world now. It feels like we've gone backwards in many ways, but the trend really is loosening up the reigns.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:52 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,307,324 times
Yes. I got a 5 year ARM right after i graduated in '04. salary was about 47k so not that high; condo was about 225k. I'm willing to bet that with a steady job, you shouldn't have any issue with a loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance