Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:46 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Then feel free to give your dollar amount if you wish to share with everyone, but percentages are often used to keep everyone's actual dollar amounts private. Or don't participate in the thread if you see no point in it.
burn and I agree with you
"What is the point?"
"There is no point."

Can you spot the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:08 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
"What is the point?"
"There is no point."

Can you spot the difference?

Maybe the point is simply calculating your number, if you don't get it or think there's no point you can exit. What's the point of your questioning? Clearly many people are participating without issue and finding something in the thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
I think you missed my point. 2% could be an amazing increase or extremely mediocre. The percentage is meaningless without context.

And "context" doesn't mean dollars, that turns this into a bragging thread.
yes, everybody understands your "point." nobody thinks its a very good one though.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:33 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Interesting to read here..because poster's vary in that their ages's and their net worth mean totally different things....Those working and still generating incomes and investing..then there's those retired who are totally reliant on their investments/SS.....But I I can only speak as a middle class Canadian, retired for over 2 years..lived off investments, Government CCP/OLS ( Canada Pension Plan ala SS in USA) (OAP/Old Age Pension/Provincial Pension) which we all paid into ( me for over 50 years)....

Okay...On paper, given investment's have gone down...BUT that's on paper only and means and unless I cash out..then there's property/home..proce has maintained and gone up..meanwhile small mortgage going down annually..then of course my SS income as a US military war vet widow...even tho measly..has gone up by 39% due to dollar exchange.....

Bottomline..My net worth has remained status quo++...and am other than scant mortgage @ 2.79% until 2020...I am DEBT free!! Even If I get sick....no bills will affect my net worth between known as "Universal HC".. no more costs unless I want to somehow do some plastic surgery to make look 20 years younger... Nope..won't waste such money...LOL I'm a fine wine..only get better with age..and so far..haven't turned into vinegar...

Old 01-04-2016, 07:40 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Down about 3.1%. From our assets the big loser was total international stock market index fund.

We're in our 40s but retired early so no income just draw down. I think 2015 was our first negative net worth year since 2008.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:56 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Interesting to read here..because poster's vary in that their ages's and their net worth mean totally different things....Those working and still generating incomes and investing..then there's those retired who are totally reliant on their investments/SS.....But I I can only speak as a middle class Canadian, retired for over 2 years..lived off investments, Government CCP/OLS ( Canada Pension Plan ala SS in USA) (OAP/Old Age Pension/Provincial Pension) which we all paid into ( me for over 50 years)....

Okay...On paper, given investment's have gone down...BUT that's on paper only and means and unless I cash out..then there's property/home..proce has maintained and gone up..meanwhile small mortgage going down annually..then of course my SS income as a US military war vet widow...even tho measly..has gone up by 39% due to dollar exchange.....

Bottomline..My net worth has remained status quo++...and am other than scant mortgage @ 2.79% until 2020...I am DEBT free!! Even If I get sick....no bills will affect my net worth between known as "Universal HC".. no more costs unless I want to somehow do some plastic surgery to make look 20 years younger... Nope..won't waste such money...LOL I'm a fine wine..only get better with age..and so far..haven't turned into vinegar...

Net worth changes even on "paper" are real fwiw

Old 01-04-2016, 10:59 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Maybe the point is simply calculating your number, if you don't get it or think there's no point you can exit. What's the point of your questioning? Clearly many people are participating without issue and finding something in the thread
The point of my questioning was to find out the purpose of this thread. It was not clear to me, and I genuinely wanted to know. Some people viewed my question as an attack and got aggressive. No big deal.

Anyway, question answered I guess. It looks like the purpose of this thread isn't to establish some kind of net worth gain by assets or age or anything. There's no way to tell if somebody's 2% gain is amazing or mediocre, checking to see if they're on track or need to make adjustments in 2016+. It's simply people sharing percentages that are meaningful to themselves only.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:25 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
I made about 1%.

Up: real estate fund (up 8%%), guaranteed annuity (up 3%), S&P 500 index fund (up 1%).
Flat: cash.
Down: everything else: bonds, TIPS, international equities, emerging markets.

I don't have any commodities or hedge funds.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
I zeroed out my mortgage last January and dramatically increased my savings rate. I bought a car out of cash flow. My portfolio was pretty much flat other than money I added. Between tax deferred and after-tax, I'm saving 40% of my gross income.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
The point of my questioning was to find out the purpose of this thread. It was not clear to me, and I genuinely wanted to know. Some people viewed my question as an attack and got aggressive. No big deal.

Anyway, question answered I guess. It looks like the purpose of this thread isn't to establish some kind of net worth gain by assets or age or anything. There's no way to tell if somebody's 2% gain is amazing or mediocre, checking to see if they're on track or need to make adjustments in 2016+. It's simply people sharing percentages that are meaningful to themselves only.
you are just wrong. percentages are meaningful. the fact that you dont understand that is your shortcoming, not ours. much less meaningful than % would be dollar amount but you seem to think otherwise. you should try to realize why this is the case instead of acting like you know something that you dont. it will help you become more financially literate.

of course, no single number is going to give you a full financial picture of someone. so you will always be able to point out shortcomings of any single piece of data. but if you picked 1, it would be %.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance