Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 01:57 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaliv View Post
This is highly illegal -- surprised no one else cared to mention. http://www.dhs.gov/human-trafficking-laws-regulations
WHAT? You mean all of my friend's sons I have stored in my basement to do "work around the house" is illegal? How does all of the law abiding citizens get a clean house?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 05:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
This is highly illegal -- surprised no one else cared to mention. http://www.dhs.gov/human-trafficking-laws-regulations
How is it illegal for a parent to buy a vehicle from a friend for their son? You lost me there.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:10 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
How is it illegal for a parent to buy a vehicle from a friend for their son? You lost me there.
Because s/he sold the car to a friend for his son. As in, accepted the son as payment. Human trafficking, as it were.

It was a joke.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:54 PM

70 posts, read 69,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
What is your long-term plan for the rental home? Was it your primary but now that you are living with a SO, you are renting it out because you do not wish to sell it?
Yes exactly. All expenses are met by the tenants. Eventually it may be my retirement home when we no longer feel like caring for 1.25 acres
. Or it will be all income when I'm 70. I haven't refied because I pretty much got laughed at by every lender due to low value and the heloc I guess. Its a conventional loan and didn't qualify for any handouts either. Plus my employment status was variable during the recession. I'm just happy I have great tenants right now.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Very funny. I sold the car forr 1k, he bought it as a first car for his son. And he's really tricking it out nice and caring for it. I hated selling it, owned it 11 years.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Without earned income, you cannot contribute to an IRA.
I have earned income from my job in 2015. Don't I still have time to contribute for 2015? Also I earn income on my craft sales. And 2016 is hardly going to be a zero income year. I'm transitioning to full-time self employment.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:19 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,929,257 times
My $0.02? Pay down the mortgage. With ALL of it.

1) You get a GUARANTEED return of whatever you're saving on interest payments - looks like 6.25%. Not a bad fixed return.
2) With the money locked into the home equity, you won't be tempted to dip into it.
3) If something comes up and you absolutely need some $$$, you can go back into the HELOC.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:21 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,338 times
Real estate is commission based, somewhat cyclical, and has the potential for months of high pay and a month or two of no pay in the same year.

Pay off the HELOC.

Pay off the car.

Put at least 3 months income in a savings account that is totally liquid and available if you need to cash flow a low/bad commission month (and replace it ASAP once the commissions start flowing again).

This (above three suggestions) will significantly lower your financial exposure/risk to market variations and allow you to get your new career firmly on track. Once you are an established producer and have an idea of what type of income you can consistently produce, use the balance of the money you inherited to jump on undervalued properties for sale (become an investor, not just an agent/broker) - money is always best made on the FRONT END of a real estate deal.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 01-12-2016, 07:25 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeLand View Post
Yes exactly. All expenses are met by the tenants. Eventually it may be my retirement home when we no longer feel like caring for 1.25 acres
. Or it will be all income when I'm 70. I haven't refied because I pretty much got laughed at by every lender due to low value and the heloc I guess. Its a conventional loan and didn't qualify for any handouts either. Plus my employment status was variable during the recession. I'm just happy I have great tenants right now.
In this case you should pay off (and close) the heloc and pay down the first mortgage just enough to refi on favorable terms.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
My $0.02? Pay down the mortgage. With ALL of it.

1) You get a GUARANTEED return of whatever you're saving on interest payments - looks like 6.25%. Not a bad fixed return.
2) With the money locked into the home equity, you won't be tempted to dip into it.
3) If something comes up and you absolutely need some $$$, you can go back into the HELOC.
And actually, if he pays off the mortgage, since mortgage interest is front loaded, he will be saving/making more than 6.25 percent interest.

He says he's receiving rent that pays the mortgage. He can put that rent into a retirement account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance