Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 09:59 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times

Advertisements

I'm preparing to file my taxes and need some help figuring out the Casualty Loss deduction.

In late Dec 2015 my home was damaged due to a flooded basement from weather. I also had to move my home office to another area of the house and remove all the vinyl flooring, drywall, etc from the basement.

Pres Obama recently signed emergency declaration for the state of Missouri. Article here: https://www.fema.gov/disaster/3374 .

I need help estimating my home casaulty loss AND my home office casualty loss. So, there are two things going on here.

First, on the Casualty Loss form 4684, what do I put for the following fields?

1.) Property A: Home
Property B: Home office

2.) Cost or other basis of each property
A: (what goes here?)
B: (what goes here?)

3.) (No insurance claim filed, skip this.)

4.) Gain from casualty or theft. If line 3 is more than line 2, enter the difference here and skip lines 5 through 9 for that column. See instructions if line 3 includes insurance or other reimbursement you did not claim, or you received payment for your loss in a later tax year

5.) Fair market value before casualty or theft....

6.) Fair market value after casualty or theft...

I paid $316.24 in expenses for tools (mops, buckets, vaccuum, etc) in 2015. Do I add this somewhere? The bulk of my cleanup and restoration expenses started in early January, so I won't be able to claim that for 2015, right?

Last edited by doss1; 01-24-2016 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance