Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:39 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Both opposing points have one similarity: How to get yours and get the most you can out of life so you and your family can be as comfortable as possible. To that end there is no comparison in terms of what would benefit the average person most. DB would win all day hands down. This is because they provide generous benefits without any real effort on an individuals part. There is a reason why they are being phased out.

But Mathjak is correct regarding learning to play the cards your dealt. Most people never do that and that's why the mean retirement income is astonishingly low at $34K. The majority of the population put in literally zero thought into retirement until they are about 5-8 years away from it. Most just work, spend money, save a little and repeat that cycle all their lives without ever taking control. Anyone would be wise to start planning asap to reap the rewards later. I started when I was 25 (and I still kick myself for not starting sooner) and it has improved my financial position exponentially.
I started at 26, you still got a year in on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
But, aren't most 401K's also pretty much contributory on the employee side (up to about 50% with matching employer funds)?

yes but pensions were not usually funded by the employee with as many employee fed dollars .

many pensions required very little in employee contributions so that is why the spia is not the same .

Old 03-07-2016, 09:01 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
many pensions required very little in employee contributions so that is why the spia is not the same .
not "up front" exactly...

Before, it seems like jobs with pensions got paid less, that was the "contribution" by the employees... IE 30 years of lower pay for a pension.

Now when people get paid more, but instead of putting that money aside for retirement, they just spend it...

Mostly, the 401k(s) for people under 55, can max it at $18k... do that for 30 years and you'll have more than enough to retire on. So... how many people max their 401ks? Do they even come close? What about just half that? The "advice" is put in enough to get matching... so what 5%?

People only put in 5% and expect to retire?

Old 03-07-2016, 09:02 AM

547 posts, read 506,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Defined Benefit is the Ponzi scheme.
Wall Street is the Ponzi scheme.
Defined benefits were a victim.
401k s will be next.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:49 AM

813 posts, read 601,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Social progress means not accepting the status quo...
It seems to me that being responsible for your own retirement is rejecting the idea that you will let someone else plan for it, so if you don't want status quo (as in forced savings that you have no control over) then make your own plan, be a rebel, you can do it!

Good luck, Rg

Old 03-07-2016, 10:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
But, aren't most 401K's also pretty much contributory on the employee side (up to about 50% with matching employer funds)?
This is nonsense. Only 15% of 401(k) plans match 6% or higher. The median is 3%. I've been working for 30+ years. Last year was the first time I ever got any 401(k) match at all and it was a lousy 3% safe harbor.

The problem is that people pick the fancy smartphone and new car instead of mundane things like maintaining a high savings rate. With a pension, there was no decision. With a 401(k), people, being human, tend to go for the immediate gratification.

No corporation is ever going to take on the risk of a defined-benefit pension again. They want their employees to assume 100% of the risk. You don't like it? Go on strike demanding the benefit and watch them chain the doors and move your job offshore. It's only public sector jobs where defined benefit pensions still exist. Even there, younger workers are mostly being shifted away from defined-benefit pensions. There are a huge number of states and cities/towns with enormous unfunded pension obligations. It's pretty easy to predict that Federal law will change allowing states to go bankrupt and walk away from most of that obligation.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:55 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
For some people, everything is a Ponzi scheme. It's a phrase that comes up easily without actually thinking about what exactly does that mean.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:59 AM

547 posts, read 506,942 times
Ok
Pyramid scheme

Old 03-07-2016, 11:08 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
Ok
Pyramid scheme

That's just as much nonsense as the Ponzi angle

Old 03-07-2016, 11:11 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
not "up front" exactly...

Before, it seems like jobs with pensions got paid less, that was the "contribution" by the employees... IE 30 years of lower pay for a pension.

Now when people get paid more, but instead of putting that money aside for retirement, they just spend it...

Mostly, the 401k(s) for people under 55, can max it at $18k... do that for 30 years and you'll have more than enough to retire on. So... how many people max their 401ks? Do they even come close? What about just half that? The "advice" is put in enough to get matching... so what 5%?

People only put in 5% and expect to retire?
The idea that most of America can fund a retirement even coming close to what they'd get if they had a pension is laughable. As posted, median income is $52k and you're seriously suggesting people can live on 2/3 of their available pay? That is a joke and I don't blame anyone for not maxing out their 401ks at lower incomes. The reality is most of America can't retire comfortably simply because they didn't earn enough to do so.

People don't get paid more now, they get paid less, all the well paying union jobs with pensions are in China now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance