Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:20 AM

547 posts, read 508,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That's just as much nonsense as the Ponzi angle
Wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:22 AM

26,205 posts, read 21,706,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The idea that most of America can fund a retirement even coming close to what they'd get if they had a pension is laughable. As posted, median income is $52k and you're seriously suggesting people can live on 2/3 of their available pay? That is a joke and I don't blame anyone for not maxing out their 401ks at lower incomes. The reality is most of America can't retire comfortably simply because they didn't earn enough to do so.

People don't get paid more now, they get paid less, all the well paying union jobs with pensions are in China now.

If you've been a saver all your life you can often times make it on 2/3 of your pre retirement income. SS knocks down the requirement to come from your assets a good deal as well. I think it's mostly a lack of financial understanding combined with the idea of retiring at 55-65 that is the biggest issues, a higher income would lead most to spend even more so that isn't the fix alone

Old 03-07-2016, 11:28 AM

997 posts, read 856,840 times
It's only public sector jobs where defined benefit pensions still exist. Even there, younger workers are most

WRONG!!!!

Old 03-07-2016, 11:36 AM

5,344 posts, read 6,188,023 times
If people want a pension when they retire why don't they save money in their 401k and then go by an immediate annuity when they retire.

I just ran a calculator. If a married couple started saving $5k/yr at 25 ($2.5k each per year), then at 30 started saving an additional 3% per year on that 5k if they only got a real return of 4% CAGR by the time they are 65 they would have roughly $750k. If you took $750k and put it into an immediate annuity you could get roughly $3.6k/month. That plus two social security paychecks would be more than enough to live on in most parts of the US. As many people on here have mentioned the issue isn't the 401k, the IRA, or anything else, it's that people can't picture their future selves, so they don't bother saving. If you assume a real CAGR of 5% you will end up with the same amount if you save $4k/yr then an additional 3% every year after 30.

Last edited by mizzourah2006; 03-07-2016 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 11:43 AM

107,173 posts, read 109,534,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The idea that most of America can fund a retirement even coming close to what they'd get if they had a pension is laughable. As posted, median income is $52k and you're seriously suggesting people can live on 2/3 of their available pay? That is a joke and I don't blame anyone for not maxing out their 401ks at lower incomes. The reality is most of America can't retire comfortably simply because they didn't earn enough to do so.

People don't get paid more now, they get paid less, all the well paying union jobs with pensions are in China now.
most Americans do retire . they just make do with what they have . money will always seek its own level like water .

it may not be a lifestyle you or i would want but every day more and more folks are retiring on what they have and making it work

Old 03-07-2016, 11:47 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,525,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most Americans do retire . they just make do with what they have . money will always seek its own level like water .

it may not be a lifestyle you or i would want but every day more and more folks are retiring on what they have and making it work
Where in my post did I say people aren't retiring?

Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM

well they are managing to fund their retirement enough to retire . like i said they may not like the lifestyle but it is what it is .

Old 03-07-2016, 11:54 AM

a huge part of our savings in retirement goes just to funding healthcare and long term care . for those with low enough incomes and low net worth all that is given to them or close to it . for a couple that is the equivalent to as much as 300-400k in assets they don't need because they have healthcare subsidized or medicaid ..

Old 03-07-2016, 11:59 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,583,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a huge part of our savings in retirement goes just to funding healthcare and long term care . for those with low enough incomes and low net worth all that is given to them or close to it . that is the equivalent to as much as 300-400k in assets they don't need .
That's the biggest part of why I think pensions are still good :S

The money part, while nice, my 401k "should" provide more. But it's the health insurance that I can carry into retirement that is what makes having it good to me. Though kind of off subject for this thread about "retirement money"

Without the politics, wasn't ACA suppose to help with this some? Not entirely sure how ACA works since I don't shop on that market.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:02 PM

5,344 posts, read 6,188,023 times
It also doesn't help that most people with 401ks are still subject to the emotional turmoil of market swings. Many people will sell their 401k investments and move to straight cash when the market drops significantly and won't buy back in until the market is significantly higher than it used to be.

IMO that is one of the main reasons pensions are more successful. You are forced to contribute and you don't have a say in how your money is invested. I want neither of those, but I do understand that for most people it is the best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance