Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:43 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,839,150 times

Advertisements

Yes, keep the credit cards.

Why don't you just pay off the house if you have THAT much cash and are only earning an average of .09% when your mortgage is 4.0%?

If I were you, I would pay off the house. Take the usual monthly payment and save it into a Roth IRA instead.

I also strongly recommend Petunia's advice of doing a one time contribution to some sort of retirement account and then investing the rest of the money (sans Emergency Fund) into a mutual fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 09:53 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,534 times
If someone is terrified of investing I'd say keep 1 year worth of expenses as an emergency fund and pay off all your debt. Its not the best move with the money, but its a guaranteed 4% return by paying off your mortgage. Maybe ease back into investing with some 20 month CDs making you 3%, once you see the returns coming in you may feel more comfortable to jump into other investments. Def max a ROTH IRA, the long term tax benefit alone removes the risk.

Personally at your age I'd take about $100k and buy 4 rental properties with $25k down on each. I'd keep $50k in a business account for emergencies and vacancies on the property. If you can buy a home in your area for $100k and rent it for $1,000 a month you'll be spending about $525 on Mortage/taxes/insurance. Then I'd figure another $100 for emergency and repair, $100 for vacancy, and $75 for property manager each month. You'd be cash flowing $200 a month (more if you have good tenants that stay for a long time) and they'd be paying down your mortgage. You'd be making about 10% on your original $25,000 investment per unit in cashflow, not including home appreciation and the tenants paying down the mortgage. In 30 years you'll be hitting retirement age and you're 4 homes will be completely paid off which means you'll be collecting full rents, which would be like making $600-$800 cash on each property today or $2,400-$3,200 total. That coupled with your IRA and social security would make for a very comfortable retirement.

(Note: Realestate investing is not for everyone and you should do a ton of research before considering it, at least 6 months worth. At some point those properties are going to need new water heaters, septic work, roofs, etc. You have the capital to make it work and relatively stress free but you just need to go into it knowing you never have full control)
Maybe your spouse could become a real estate agent / property manager and could help save you big $ on those investments.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:29 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
If your house is valued at 155k and you owe 89k, how is that only 6k of equity? Do you owe 149k?
I bought the house for 95K. It was under market value then because of repairs it needed. Housing prices in my town have increased 70% in the past year. They appear to have plateaued & are now rising at the rate you'd expect. I don't think they will fall significantly any time soon but you never know although I don't think the house will ever go to sub 100K values again given the growth we've seen.

I think the window of opportunity for me to buy rental properties has closed for the moment due to the rapid rise in housing prices - rentals go for top dollar too these days, I would have to sink almost everything into one purchase. There used to be duplexes or 4-plexes for under 200k but not any more. I would have to look at outlying areas for that where the returns would be much less.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-04-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 07:39 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The only reason to cut up cards and close accounts is if you have a total lack of self control(and possibly fees) otherwise keep the cards is a smarter thing to do
For what reason? What exactly would OP need credit for going forward?

Old 05-05-2016, 09:17 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
For what reason? What exactly would OP need credit for going forward?

They are early 30s so who knows what might happen over the next 30-50+ years. What would they need credit for? Well just about anything really and having good credit especially if it cost you nothing is only a benefit. Can you really argue against that? Not in a rational manner you can not

Old 05-05-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
They are early 30s so who knows what might happen over the next 30-50+ years. What would they need credit for? Well just about anything really and having good credit especially if it cost you nothing is only a benefit. Can you really argue against that? Not in a rational manner you can not
Who knows what might happen?

With a paid off house, a good income, and money socked away?

Old 05-05-2016, 10:07 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:

Medical emergency, long term health issues, kids, investment opportunities...

You still have more options with good credit than without.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:13 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,474 times
Quote:
Pay off, cut up, and close the credit cards.
No, no, no.

Unless they have high annual fees or the OP and his wife are compulsive spenders.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Medical emergency, long term health issues, kids, investment opportunities...

You still have more options with good credit than without.
Health insurance? Savings? Budgeting? Not investing with money one doesn't have?

What exactly is a credit card going to do for them when they'd have hundreds of thousands of dollars (and counting) saved?

Old 05-05-2016, 10:32 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:

You provided no counter whatsoever. Please try again and explain in what scenario keeping good active credit history at no cost is a bad option or worse than shutting down all credit facilities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance