Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:27 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,636,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Oddly, I find the worse someone's financial shape is the more they talk about it. Some people almost sound proud to say they are living paycheck to paycheck or are up the creek because of a modest car repair bill.

At the other end of the spectrum, people in great financial shape tend not to say a word other than whining about their taxes.

This is my anecdotal observation but it repeats itself time and time again.
This is because there is nothing to lose if there is nothing in your pocket.

There is plenty to lose if you blab your money story to everyone else. One thing I can't help but notice is that everyone wants your money. Haven't any of you have friends or someone else try to help you spend if they find out you have it? It becomes abundantly clear why they never have any themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 10:30 AM

26,205 posts, read 21,706,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
This is because there is nothing to lose if there is nothing in your pocket.

There is plenty to lose if you blab your money story to everyone else. One thing I can't help but notice is that everyone wants your money. Haven't any of you have friends or someone else try to help you spend if they find out you have it? It becomes abundantly clear why they never have any themselves.
nope not one time, never happened to me and I have a fair amount of interaction on the topic

Old 05-05-2016, 10:37 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,636,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
folks tell total strangers on the web about their illicit affairs yet heaven forbid someone knows how much money that have . it is laughable .
Telling people anonymously on the internet is different from personal friends knowing it.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:41 AM

107,211 posts, read 109,534,640 times
years ago money magazine wanted to do a story on us . at first we declined because we didn't want all our financial info out there for 8 million readers to see as well as be on the cnn website in front of millions more .

but then we thought about it rationally and we could not think of one reason everything had to be kept hush hush .

were relatives going to come out of the woodwork ? nooooooo

were kidnappers going to get me ? noooooooo

were we living a lifestyle that was a lie and we didn't want anyone to know ? nooooooo

were our friends not going to be our friends ? nope .

were charity's going to call ? maybe .

were we proud of what we did ? absolutely

so we did it and there was not one problem .

in fact shortly after the article came out fidelity investments contacted us and since we used all fidelity funds wanted to feature us in the fidelity investments magazine they used to have so we did that too .

in the interest of related discussions i have no stigma against talking numbers .

Old 05-05-2016, 10:52 AM

58 posts, read 59,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
folks tell total strangers on the web about their illicit affairs yet heaven forbid someone knows how much money that have . it is laughable .
Very true. I think at least some of this comes from companies that don't want their employees comparing incomes and that just sort of carries over.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:54 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,401,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Oddly, I find the worse someone's financial shape is the more they talk about it. Some people almost sound proud to say they are living paycheck to paycheck or are up the creek because of a modest car repair bill.

At the other end of the spectrum, people in great financial shape tend not to say a word other than whining about their taxes.

This is my anecdotal observation but it repeats itself time and time again.

I've observed this myself. People that are wealthy don't tell you they're wealthy

Old 05-05-2016, 10:56 AM

10,641 posts, read 12,205,382 times
I'll discuss finances with people. Depends on what the exact topic is…general strategy? budgeting? investing? how much percentage to put in a 401K? how much a person makes? How they can "afford" to travel or do whatever? Usually I'd say, specific numbers aren't needed. but I don't necessarily have an aversion to mentioning them if I think they're pertinent.

For example a couple of friends are government GS pay scale workers. They're pay grades are public knowledge, Once you know they're a GS 7 or 9 or 13 and their city….you know how much they make. So what?

I'm SINK, so my personal hangup that I had to get over was feeling bad about not being able to have, do, spend -- OR SAVE -- as much as my married friends. But eventually I had to accept that they have TWO salaries and YOU only have one. The TRUTH IS you're NOT going to be able to save or do or stretch you money as much as they can.

Plus I THINK most of my friends make within about 20K of each other. Besides there are other factors related to "finances" that I personally consider and aren't really financial…..if one person makes 100k and has no retiree health care coming eventually…but another makes 85k but has two months every summer off, or another makes 90 and gets every government holiday off…..other than having two salaries instead of one...to me we're all in the same ballpark…and other than having two salaries instead of one. so none of us need to feel "a certain way" about discussing finances. (other than the tapes you play in your head that come from how you were raised when it comes to talking about money.)

Last edited by selhars; 05-05-2016 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 11:08 AM

22,713 posts, read 47,922,292 times
Quote:
Haven't any of you have friends or someone else try to help you spend if they find out you have it?
No.
Never.
Not with family or friends over all the decades of my life.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:43 AM

4,664 posts, read 4,570,990 times
Quote:
One thing I can't help but notice is that everyone wants your money. Haven't any of you have friends or someone else try to help you spend if they find out you have it?
Due to our professions and background, it's pretty obvious to our friends and family that my wife and I are very well off. Not once has anyone hit us up for money.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:46 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,869,800 times
Sometimes you need an outside perspective on your money and spending habits. Its not a bad thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance