Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:53 AM

143 posts, read 133,946 times

Advertisements

From what I know, its impolite to discuss personal finances. You don't want to talk about how much money you make a year or compare yourself to others based on how much you make. A person's annual income is private stuff because we tend to rate people in our minds based on how much they make. If you know you make more money than the guy down the street than you might think you're better than them. Unfortunately this goes on quite a bit and people have too much of an ego based on how much they make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 09:57 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
So what is your point?

Old 05-05-2016, 10:09 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
From what I know, its impolite to discuss personal finances.
It's impolite to discuss personal finances during social occasions such as parties. There's nothing wrong with a private discussion of finances, provided all the parties involved agree to it and don't feel pressured into participating.

(Same rule as discussing politics and religion, really.)

Old 05-05-2016, 10:14 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,630,169 times
More than being impolite it just isn't smart to lay all you cards on the table and tell people what you have.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:16 AM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's impolite to discuss personal finances during social occasions such as parties. There's nothing wrong with a private discussion of finances, provided all the parties involved agree to it and don't feel pressured into participating.

(Same rule as discussing politics and religion, really.)
I agree with Aredhel, not the OP!

Old 05-05-2016, 10:17 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,141,478 times
Oddly, I find the worse someone's financial shape is the more they talk about it. Some people almost sound proud to say they are living paycheck to paycheck or are up the creek because of a modest car repair bill.

At the other end of the spectrum, people in great financial shape tend not to say a word other than whining about their taxes.

This is my anecdotal observation but it repeats itself time and time again.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:17 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
I'm guessing the OP isn't a high earner.

I think if that conversation comes up at a social gathering and it makes you uncomfortable, you excuse yourself and get another drink.

In our group of friends, nobody talks about how much they make. Everyone has a good idea, as salaries are pretty standard in the Valley.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:21 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
The lack of discussion in the area of personal finance breeds ignorance and drives bad decisions. I don't speak publcily about my finances but in smaller groups of friends or aquantances I will. Conversation sparks questions, discovery and often times education that can only be of benefit. I don't see why there would be a problem with people knowing what you make and the reverse, to me it has had zero negative impact. I've found most people are surprised when they find out how much my wife and I make because they assume we make a lot more than we do. When folks find out they get curious how we can afford to travel so much and save as much money as we do.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
Unfortunately this goes on quite a bit and people have too much of an ego based on how much they make.
Thinking about this some more...

If "how much they make" is based on their schooling and years of experience, I'd say they have a right to be proud of that. It's a lot of hard work.

I have a friend who holds five patents. He doesn't think it's a big deal but I'm impressed.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 AM

106,733 posts, read 108,937,910 times
folks tell total strangers on the web about their illicit affairs yet heaven forbid someone knows how much money that have . it is laughable .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance