Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 03:58 PM

493 posts, read 443,240 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I am looking for recommendation for 15 yrs fixed mortgage lender. Can someone recommend a good lender to work with?
(0 points, 0 fees) Refinancing, not new mortgage.
Thanks!

Last edited by hawaiishrimp; 05-18-2016 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 04:06 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,125,281 times
Did mine with wells Fargo last year. No points. Simple interest. I also put 20% down. No PMI!!!!

13 years and 8 months and this sucker will be paid off. Highly recommend a 15 year loan. I can't imagine doing a 30 year loan.

After our family heard about our 15 year loan, My brother and my wife's sister both refinanced to a 15 year. We are talking over 100,000 dollars in savings for a few hundred extra bucks a month.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:02 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
At some level, it doesn't matter. It will be bunched with a group of other mortgages and sold as a mortgage backed security. It's not like banks actually hold many mortgages in their portfolio these days. The money is in sub-prime car loans and 18% credit card interest, not 15 year mortgages at low interest rates. If you go with a bank instead of a mortgage broker, bank that issued the mortgage might or might not be the outfit that collects your payments. Part of the contract you sign allows it to be transferred or sold to anybody.

Some banks mostly keep the servicing part of the mortgages they write. My bank gave me a modest "preferred customer" account status where I got a few free banking perks I wouldn't have otherwise received. Their rates and fees were the same as everybody else so I went with them. I zeroed out the mortgage in 3 1/2 years so I didn't have those perks for long but it's better'n nuthin'.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
At some level, it doesn't matter. It will be bunched with a group of other mortgages and sold as a mortgage backed security. It's not like banks actually hold many mortgages in their portfolio these days. The money is in sub-prime car loans and 18% credit card interest, not 15 year mortgages at low interest rates. If you go with a bank instead of a mortgage broker, bank that issued the mortgage might or might not be the outfit that collects your payments. Part of the contract you sign allows it to be transferred or sold to anybody.

Some banks mostly keep the servicing part of the mortgages they write. My bank gave me a modest "preferred customer" account status where I got a few free banking perks I wouldn't have otherwise received. Their rates and fees were the same as everybody else so I went with them. I zeroed out the mortgage in 3 1/2 years so I didn't have those perks for long but it's better'n nuthin'.
I went with the credit union and I got a better rate than the other lender. I did a 30 year but I'm making 2 extra payments a year so that 30 year loan is inconsequential in the long run. It will be paid off well before the 30 year mark. Probably well before the 15 year mark.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:12 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Did mine with wells Fargo last year. No points. Simple interest. I also put 20% down. No PMI!!!!

13 years and 8 months and this sucker will be paid off. Highly recommend a 15 year loan. I can't imagine doing a 30 year loan.

After our family heard about our 15 year loan, My brother and my wife's sister both refinanced to a 15 year. We are talking over 100,000 dollars in savings for a few hundred extra bucks a month.
A few hundred dollars a month wouldn't be what I'd call the difference between 30 and 15 year mortgages

Old 05-18-2016, 06:19 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
I would stay away from Wells Fargo. The worst place to apply for a mortgage. My sister had bad experience with them even after paid off two mortgages with them. They treated her like dirt. A nobody with bad credit. I had to step in and help her.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I would stay away from Wells Fargo. The worst place to apply for a mortgage. My sister had bad experience with them even after paid off two mortgages with them. They treated her like dirt. A nobody with bad credit. I had to step in and help her.
Did she have bad credit?

Old 05-18-2016, 06:52 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Did she have bad credit?
No she has good credit. But they first said she can put down 20%, she decided to buy the house by putting down the deposit, then they said she have to put down 70% in down payment months away. What the heck? Who has that kind of money?

Old 05-18-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
No she has good credit. But they said she can put down 20%, then they said she have to put down 70% in down payment. What the heck? Who has that kind of money?
There's more to the story either bad credit, income, debt to income or property value. Wells Fargo doesn't require 70% down payment on home loans

Old 05-18-2016, 06:58 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Wells Fargo treated us just fine a few years ago when we were applying for a jumbo mortgage. They offered a better rate than our other banks, everything was pretty straightforward and we closed on time.

I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance