Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:52 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,369 times

Advertisements

I received an introductory offer to try out LifeLock for 30 days, and then it would be $8.99 month afterwards. It's an interesting concept to help protect my identity and give me warnings about someone using my name and SS. This intro comes at a good time as I'm planning to move to California in October, and moving to a city that is literally 10x the size of where I come from, there will be more opportunities for crooks to steal my info during this transition in life.

I've known people who have had their ID stolen and it's a horrible experience.

Anyone currently enrolled with LifeLock? Do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:02 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I received an introductory offer to try out LifeLock for 30 days, and then it would be $8.99 month afterwards. It's an interesting concept to help protect my identity and give me warnings about someone using my name and SS. This intro comes at a good time as I'm planning to move to California in October, and moving to a city that is literally 10x the size of where I come from, there will be more opportunities for crooks to steal my info during this transition in life.

You can freeze your credit for free. I'm not sure I'd pay for this kind of insurance. Most identity theft occurs via online activity, so I'm not sure living in a large city exposes you to that much more risk.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:12 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,760 times
I get free notification service from Quicken and AAA that seem to do OK. AAA reports if there is any activity on Experian and I am not sure who Quicken uses. They have each reported the same activity.

You have to be a member of AAA to get their service (naturally) and Quicken is free for three years. You pretty much have to upgrade Quicken every three years as the online downloads stop working then anyway. In any case, either of these is way cheaper than $9/per month. Plus you get the benefits of their main product

eta..I have Quicken Rental Property Manager, I don't know if this feature is in all versions of Quicken,

Last edited by jw2; 05-23-2016 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
This intro comes at a good time as I'm planning to move to California in October, and moving to a city that is literally 10x the size of where I come from
If that is the reason you would spend the money on it, save your money instead.
Identity theft does not occur because you move to a larger city.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:39 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,742 times
Quote:

You don't need it. I used to use Identity Guard (which is more comprehensive than LifeLock) and it's not really a useful service anymore because:

- You can get activity in relation to your credit report for free using Credit Karma (TU and EquiFax coverage), Credit Sesame (TU coverage) and Credit.com (Experian coverage). Credit Karma gives you a fully updated/new TU and EquiFax credit report every week.

- Credit Sesame gives you $50,000 of free coverage for identity theft when you sign up for the free membership.

- You can use car insurers such as AAA's Protect My ID which includes $10,000 of free coverage for identity theft.

So basically the services of Identity Guard and LifeLock are being provided for free at places like Credit Karma, Credit.com and Credit Sesame.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:40 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,369 times
Good feedback from all thus far. Thanks.

Looks like I'll pass on this.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
I have it. I like it. Anytime there is any activity I get a notice on my phone and email. For me it's worth it. Usually free anything I found to be lacking in some way as far as service or quality.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:41 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Ripoff.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:33 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I have it. I like it. Anytime there is any activity I get a notice on my phone and email. For me it's worth it. Usually free anything I found to be lacking in some way as far as service or quality.
I noticed that they have "Data Breach Notification". I assume that refers to incidents like the Target breach or that gmail password hack where lists of credit card numbers and online account credentials were being circulated. Does Lifelock just give you a generic news alert when these incidents happen, or do they specifically warn you when your information turns up on one of those lists?

Old 05-24-2016, 09:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I noticed that they have "Data Breach Notification". I assume that refers to incidents like the Target breach or that gmail password hack where lists of credit card numbers and online account credentials were being circulated. Does Lifelock just give you a generic news alert when these incidents happen, or do they specifically warn you when your information turns up on one of those lists?
I haven't had a data breach. Basically they sent notices anytime someone tries to run my credit, opens a account with any of my info even if it's not all or react. I opened a new account for a new rental and a few hours later I got a alert and email. I had a guy try to open a Sprint phone account and I got a notice. Called ne they went through and I was on the phone with Sprint a hour later killing the account. When the lender I was using for the home loan ran my credit I got alerts every time.

Unless I go and check my credit constantly and screen it weekly I'll be doing all the fighting with any business who opens a account to someone claiming they are me.

Some see it as a ripoff some don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance