Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 02:37 AM

106,814 posts, read 109,039,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
With that attitude, you nor anyone else who thinks like you, will get anyplace.

I was hired at three jobs since 2008... fairly good jobs (and grew my business during this time). Did I sit back and complain that I could not since "their policies" or "this recession" is holding me back? No, I put my nose to grind and figured out a way to work "the system".

Then again, I can do what I do because so many people sit back and complain, taking no action or responsibility for themselves or whatever group they belong. We need people like that in this society so people like me can DO.

Where you (and people like you) see adversity others (people like me) see/find opportunity.
folks who really want to succed will always find a way . as you see the rest just find an excuse .

they don't make things happen , they wait for things to happen and when they do not happen it is everyone else's fault .

you know the deal .

if you think jot is complaining now can you imagine how he would have been getting dumped in to the 1970's like we did ? if he thinks these are tough times he would have killed himself going through what we did .

i got dumped out in to vietnam , civil unrest all over the country . gas lines all over , soaring inflation and unemployment that makes today look like the best of times as well as high taxes with no end in sight on any of the above .. we had no internet to network on either . to many kids today the fact that wifi doesn't reach the upper floors in their house is a major life issue .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-12-2016 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 02:52 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Not having an attachment to stuff doesn't mean we aren't spending money like rabbits. I know very few people that bring their food to work.
Agreed. I have a friend around age 60 who never had the big house, expensive cars, etc. But he frittered away plenty on eating out and drinking at bars. At one point 9 years ago he was unemployed and still spending over $700 a month on groceries & eating out, which was almost what I was paying in rent for a small apartment at the time.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 06-12-2016 at 03:38 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I think you need to study means, medians, and modes. Then you could argue figures a little more cogently.

1970 had single earner households. Pretty rare now. That is one problem with your statement. There are so many other problems that I couldn't be bothered right now.
1970 also had more people per household.

Today we have more single parent households than in 1970, which drags down median income. The middle class would be significantly larger if we had 1970's much lower divorce and out of wedlock birth rates.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:25 AM

106,814 posts, read 109,039,935 times
more people per household can be more expenses without much more income as well . . when most of us started off in the 1970's it was just us same as today . .

Old 06-12-2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
more people per household can be more expenses without much more income as well . . 1 . .
Yep, that was my point.

I definitely do think there are a lot of forces working against people today. But the defeatist mindset actually plays right into the hands of the elite that rules over us.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:51 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,592,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
I don't see myself as a victim
Quote:
I see my GENERATION as a whole being dealt a very bad hand
Like I said, King Victim.

I've seen you actually complain that in YOUR GENERATION the hiring manager not liking you means you don't get hired, and that in YOUR GENERATION you sometimes have to move to get the job you want. That is ridiculous since those are issues faced by every generation, so you spinning it as a challenge unique to you is exactly that, playing victim.

Quote:
my Generation was dealt a very bad hand and are SCREWED.
You continue to prove my point.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:59 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
folks who really want to succed will always find a way . as you see the rest just find an excuse .

they don't make things happen , they wait for things to happen and when they do not happen it is everyone else's fault .

you know the deal .

if you think jot is complaining now can you imagine how he would have been getting dumped in to the 1970's like we did ? if he thinks these are tough times he would have killed himself going through what we did .

i got dumped out in to vietnam , civil unrest all over the country . gas lines all over , soaring inflation and unemployment that makes today look like the best of times as well as high taxes with no end in sight on any of the above .. we had no internet to network on either . to many kids today the fact that wifi doesn't reach the upper floors in their house is a major life issue .
What I bolded nails it and I think is the most important thing facing the 30-somethings.

My son is very successful in the business world. Early 30's and making $300,000. When I read the comments from the 30-somethings here I try to think how he would react to the same situations. There are, at times, some stark differences. He, quite naturally, associates with a lot of other successful 30-somethings but he also has friends that are at the other side of the scale. Friends that grew up with all the same resources available to him. I have asked him, why did they not succeed. His answer has always been along the lines of what Jak said above: some people find the path to not succeed easier than the ones to success. And jotucker with his mammoth list of excuses on why he feels today's youth has it tougher is that path to not succeed. Pick an excuse, there ya go, sleep well. And jotucker is not alone. Ask anyone why they are not successful and they never seem to blame themselves, they always have an excuse or two.

I started in the working world around Jak's time frame and I just don't remember having the excuse list available. Either you were going to get off your ass and be successful, maybe it took a few tries (as it did for me), but it was all up to you. Or you were going to be a bum. There was no one else to blame but yourself. And, I am VERY thankful for that because, who knows, maybe I would have taken that easier path then.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:31 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,661,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed. I have a friend around age 60 who never had the big house, expensive cars, etc. But he frittered away plenty on eating out and drinking at bars. At one point 9 years ago he was unemployed and still spending over $700 a month on groceries & eating out, which was almost what I was paying in rent for a small apartment at the time.
Exactly, many people could find ways to cut but choose not to.

[quote=mysticaltyger;44383606]1970 also had more people per household.

Today we have more single parent households than in 1970, which drags down median income. The middle class would be significantly larger if we had 1970's much lower divorce and out of wedlock birth rates.[/QUOTE]

Well we weren't overwhelmed with "single moms", that has become a badge of honor.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:00 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,256,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

I've seen you actually complain that in YOUR GENERATION the hiring manager not liking you means you don't get hired, and that in YOUR GENERATION you sometimes have to move to get the job you want. That is ridiculous since those are issues faced by every generation, so you spinning it as a challenge unique to you is exactly that, playing victim.

I wouldn't say screwed, but the system is stacked against us somewhat. It's like a football game where the refs are calling holding against the away team but not the home team.

Can that be overcome? Yes, but it's harder to get the same score the other team can make without referee interference.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:04 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,256,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

I wouldn't say screwed, but the system is stacked against us somewhat. Iit's like a football game where the refs are calling holding against the away team but not the home team.

Can that be overcome? Yes, but it's harder to get the same score the other team can make without referee interference.

I say this as an older millennial who is better off than most of them. I see the stacked deck all the time being on the hiring side. It's a vicious cycle of needing experience but having to compete with already VERY experienced people. Then you lose the job and don't gain the experience. I always try to advocate giving the young person with potential a shot over someone who's parachuting in with 20 years experience. Someone took a chance on me and it was the break I needed. I don't always win that argument.

There is a problem with the economy that we STILL get apps for entry level positions from people with 10, 15, or even 25 years of experience. If the economy was good we'd only be seeing graduates and young professionals apply for those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance