Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:18 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times

Advertisements

For the most part, I spend money only on things that are important to me. Therefore not a waste. I did once pay $30k to divorce my ex husband because my bf at the time couldn't stand that I was legally married to another man. He left me less than two years later. I could have stayed married for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 09:23 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemytoe View Post
What has been your Biggest Waste of Money?
I bought an RV.

Used it hard the first year and let that pattern justify doing work it really didn't need
which only added to the total that I could never justify "investing" in it.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:45 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Cars. But I enjoy them and they make my life fun, plus it got me started in my career which gives me my income, so I guess it's worth it.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:55 AM

813 posts, read 601,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
For the most part, I spend money only on things that are important to me. Therefore not a waste. I did once pay $30k to divorce my ex husband because my bf at the time couldn't stand that I was legally married to another man. He left me less than two years later. I could have stayed married for free.
The money I spent to get divorced was the BEST money I ever spent!

Rg

Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
People are describing their hobbies as a waste of money....ski trips, 2nd homes----do you really consider these a "waste"? And we don't have much choice re taxes.

I would say restaurants because for the past few years, the food is just no good no matter where I go. I only go for social reasons and wish we could socialize elsewhere.

One thing I will never know for sure is all the supplements I used to buy. Did they ever really do anything, or just a marketing gimmick? I'm not buying them here due to questionable quality, and lower income level so wonder if anything will be different. So that was probably a monumental waste of money over the years...and I'm embarrassed to say I fell for some new-agey stuff over the years....total waste.

Oh, few years ago I paid $6,000 to remove the "frowning muscle" as I looked so mad in "resting face". Didn't work at all. That makes me mad (frown!)

The biggest thing I bemoan is my knee replacements....but that was mostly insurance $$.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:15 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
My ex

Old 01-04-2017, 11:49 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times
buying stuff that you enjoyed it's not completely waste of money. Of course after you enjoyed it, you would think otherwise.

We spent $10k on a trip to Paris, now that I've seen Paris, it's waste of money, because we have nothing to show for it.

I did get scammed in China due to my own greed, so that's really waste of money because i never go the valued I paid for.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:52 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
buying stuff that you enjoyed it's not completely waste of money. Of course after you enjoyed it, you would think otherwise.

We spent $10k on a trip to Paris, now that I've seen Paris, it's waste of money, because we have nothing to show for it.

I did get scammed in China due to my own greed, so that's really waste of money because i never go the valued I paid for.
Do you really have nothing to show for it? My wife and I travel a fair amount instead of giving each other gifts and we have plenty of memories, shared experiences and pictures of our travels that are far more valuable than anything that sits under a Christmas tree

Old 01-04-2017, 02:57 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Souvenirs from our travels are a waste of money. We finally got rid of things we bought from Mexico, never once did we use it.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Sailboat was not the biggest waste of money, but was impossible to re-sell! Finally donated it to charity.

It was good for a few years of fun, learning to sail, and enjoying living on an island in BC and sailing everyday. but... It was NOT cheap / a wash... basically, I got WASHED in more ways than one.

Recreation Boats are not usually a good investment., thus 'Recreation' Pay-to-play
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance