Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:15 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,666,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
That is why I asked if he needed the full amount and the suggestion to park the excess in mutual funds would allow him to have access to the funds if needed down the road . But keep in mind, you take out a mortgage at 3%, it stays at 3% (assuming you don't get an adjustable rate which would be stupid right now). The mutual fund money is going to make way more than 3% in the foreseeable future, but even parking it in a good muni fund would get him more than 3% and certainly more than 1%.

Also keep in mind, buying in a HOT, HOT, HOT sellers market is a bad idea.....
I know, which is why I'm glad we're still many years from buying, but I don't know the OP's situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 11:09 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Currently paying 4%

Can sell at anytime via an online account

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/o?ltr=1
OP wants to protect his principal, that investment can (and quite simply has) lost value. Those who bought in Jul 2016 @ $70 are now sitting 14% drop in value. That would have been a loss of $60K. There are other, more stable, dividend stocks to invest in if that's the route OP should choose to go (perhaps T). There is still risk.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:15 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,296,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Currently paying 4%

Can sell at anytime via an online account

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/o?ltr=1
What's paying 4%?
that link takes you to the quote for Realty Income Corporation (O)

Old 01-10-2017, 12:28 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
What's paying 4%?
that link takes you to the quote for Realty Income Corporation (O)
The current yield for O is over 4%

Old 05-16-2017, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
Hello,

For a variety of personal reasons, I will probably delay buying a home for the time being. I would like to keep $50,000 set aside as an emergency fund, and then park the remainder of my money somewhere where its interest will help pay off rent. Basically, I am looking for a place to invest $410,000 where it will be safe and remain accessible.

I currently live in an area where housing inventory is basically nonexistent. If a miracle were to happen and something came on the market that I'd like to buy, I would still consider that. For this reason alone, I would prefer to have my money reasonably accessible.

It's a shame the housing market is what it is. But, in the meantime, I'd sure like to put my money somewhere where it would help offset my rent.

Thanks for any suggestions..
I hope you found a solution for your money to help offset your rent. I noticed you posted this at the beginning of the year and the market is still a Sellers and low inventory. Hopefully once school lets out in the next month or so the home inventory starts flowing. An you find the house to make your home. If you ever have any real estate questions don't hesitate to message me.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:28 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
That's a difficult question to answer because it's dependent on the local housing inventory. A house could come on the market tomorrow I'd like to buy, or I could be waiting all year. I'm not exaggerating, it's that bad!

I just know it's a shame to have that kind of money in savings accounts which aren't helping me at all...
I was in this boat for several years. I left the money in savings accounts because I wanted it to be available if I needed to jump on a house. I eventually did find one.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:39 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
The solution is what others have already stated: put the money into 2 or 3 FDIC-insured savings accounts. Any other move either involves too much risk to the principal, or reduces liquidity too much.

Last edited by Aredhel; 05-16-2017 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
If you put the funds into a savings account such as Ally Bank currently paying 1%, make sure you put a max of $250K in each account which is the FDIC insurance limit. If you want to be liquid and safe that is the only way to go.
You can't just open multiple accounts of the same type to create more fdic coverage. Account types are consolidated by institution for aggregate fdic coverage. You can increase coverage by having multiple account types single, joint, Ira etc

Old 05-16-2017, 10:43 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You can't just open multiple accounts of the same type to create more fdic coverage. Account types are consolidated by institution for aggregate fdic coverage.
The OP could open savings accounts at several different banks to get the needed coverage.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The OP could open savings accounts at several different banks to get the needed coverage.
That is correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance