Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:06 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times

Advertisements

Still not sure when we're going to Europe, but thinking about it I realized I might have an issue with buying the tickets with a credit card. In fact, I might have an issue funding the whole damn trip...

I have a CC in my name with $10k limit.

My husband has a CC in his name for $7k.

I guess I could use a debit card, but I really want the miles/points.

Should we try to bump up our credit limits? Open new cards? When you are buying tickets is it possible to "split the check" so to speak between a couple of cards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 07:12 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Should we try to bump up our credit limits? Open new cards? When you are buying tickets is it possible to "split the check" so to speak between a couple of cards?
I'd look at either bumping up your card limits, or buying the tickets in sets of 2 (using a different card for each set).

(If you want miles/points, you might also consider applying for a new miles/points card timed so that you can use these ticket purchases to meet the minimum spend needed to get the signup bonus. But be aware before you start collecting miles/points in a major way that the frequent flyer game is getting much harder to play!)

Old 04-25-2017, 07:17 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
If you are buying business or first class which I think was the case you should get an Amex plat and call their travel service. If they are able to book your flight, full fare first or business you get the second free bit have to pay the taxes on it

Bumping limits would also do it

Old 04-25-2017, 07:18 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
You can open up additional CC's, or ask for increase in your credit limit (Some will do Temporary ones for things like this, other will permanent raise it) . If your credit allow for it.

I don't know of any Airline Booking site that allow for "Split" the check, Each Credit Card would be a separate Transaction / Booking.

After the booking, Contact the airline and have them join/connect both PNR's (Confirmation numbers), So If they have to change one group of "Tickets" the computer will see there are another group that is connected to them, and change them also.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If you are buying business or first class which I think was the case you should get an Amex plat and call their travel service. If they are able to book your flight, full fare first or business you get the second free bit have to pay the taxes on it

Bumping limits would also do it
No longer the case. Man of the house said so.

I will try to bump up our limits. I think we'll still be below, but maybe not...

Old 04-25-2017, 07:29 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
No longer the case. Man of the house said so.

I will try to bump up our limits. I think we'll still be below, but maybe not...
I called them just a few months ago to price flights and they did it then

It's still on their website

http://iap.americanexpress.com

Old 04-25-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I called them just a few months ago to price flights and they did it then

It's still on their website

[url=http://iap.americanexpress.com]American Express International Airline Program[/url]
No, I meant flying business/first class.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:45 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
No, I meant flying business/first class.
Don't fret too much; Economy Class to Europe is bearable - and can be made more so if you add a one-day layover on the East Coast to your itinerary, so you fly 5-6 hours to the East Coast, rest up, then fly the 6 hours or so over to Europe. It's the long-haul 14-16 hour trans-Pacific flights in coach that are the real killers.

Do you know what route and what airline you want to fly yet?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Don't fret too much; Economy Class to Europe is bearable - and can be made more so if you add a one-day layover on the East Coast to your itinerary, so you fly 5-6 hours to the East Coast, rest up, then fly the 6 hours or so over to Europe. It's the long-haul 14-16 hour trans-Pacific flights in coach that are the real killers.

Do you know what route and what airline you want to fly yet?
A client of mine sang the praises for Icelandair. Definitely presents an intriguing layover. It's about 7.25-7.75 hr to Iceland and 2.75-3hr to London.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:28 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
A client of mine sang the praises for Icelandair. Definitely presents an intriguing layover. It's about 7.25-7.75 hr to Iceland and 2.75-3hr to London.
I second that, although it was my first and only transatlantic flight, so I have nothing to compare to.

I was comfortable, and I am 6'1". Actual flying time from EWR to Iceland was 4 hours 40 minutes. You get cool simulated northern lights on the ceiling during the flight.

Unfortunately, I landed at 7 a.m. in November, when sunrise is around 10, and I only had an hour before my flight to Amsterdam. It was dark and raining so I saw nothing outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance