Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:54 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,383 times

Advertisements

In the good old days, when I had NO money EXCEPT change, I saved change. I would roll it and take it to my bank and after a bunch of years I had a few hundred in a savings account. I remember we had to write our names and phone numbers on the rolls...maybe some people would load them with blanks?

Now I try not to let change accumulate. If I'm using cash, I give the bill and the odd change. But it's so annoying these days, cashiers mostly have no idea how to figure change. They don't know if the charge is $3.77 and I give them a 5 and 2 cents they should give me $1.25 back. I've learned not to hand the bills before I have the change out. They punch the bill number in their register and count out what it says, they have no idea how to figure it out themselves. Whatever are they learning in schools these days?

I had quite a stash of cents around here recently so I gathered them all up and made an effort to give them out whenever I could. If the bill came to an odd 8 cents on the end I counted 8 cents (pennies) and I've made a huge dent in our stash of coppers. It takes a bit of determination to get rid of coins. We don't use cash for most things these days.

I do hoard quarters, which we use in the parking meter at the beach. And I use them in toll booths when we go to visit family. Most people use their passes but since we don't live in that area we throw quarters in the counter. I've learned not to use nickels in those, they don't always count correctly. And the beach ones run out of change and won't take dollar bills most of the time so the quarters come in handy there.

I've not seen any coin counters in the 2 banks I go into. I won't use the big banks so maybe they're there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 10:29 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
...cashiers mostly have no idea how to figure change. They don't know if the charge is $3.77 and I give them a 5 and 2 cents they should give me $1.25 back.
Another reason I quit using it. It confuses them and makes it a hassle.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
When OP says "most people.... empty pockets of change", clearly today it refers to certain small demographic, one that is shrinking every year.

Yes, my father, and grandfather had "change jars" on their dressers, and or left loose change on top, but that is going by the wayside. Young people today don't even know how to make change much less what to do with coins. *LOL*

You want to see dirty looks? Scan down a cash register line as someone (usually an older person) reaches for their change purse or whatever to count out (down to the penny, nickel or dime) an exact amount or near to change for a purchase. This after reaching for their wallet/bill fold and peeling off the exact number of bills (or close to it).

Cashiers today don't like change/coins either. They are the ones (along with their managers who must check the work) that have to count out every single coin at start and close of their shifts to reconcile their drawers.

Of course for those without bank accounts and or credit/charge accounts who thus still live in a cash society, change is still a major part of their lives. For the rest of us as stated previously cannot think of a single thing one needs or would want to pay via cash much less coins.
Gee thanks for making me feel old . No worries. I realize cash is going by the wayside, even for myself. The container I use to fill up the coins with(an old Laphroaig 10 scotch tin) use to take me a year or so. Now it's closer to a year and a half, maybe more. It's usually around $150 in change. So, really I'm only saving about a quarter a day. It's not much but it adds up over the months and years.

I still use cash for small purchases, say under 10 bucks, so I still get change. I don't like charging small amounts. Actually, Chicago still has a fair number of cash only businesses or maybe a minimum credit card purchase amount. I guess coinage is going the way of the dinosaurs though. Who knows how long cash will be king.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 03-22-2017 at 12:07 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 10:59 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Wait, what have I missed? CoinStar has Amazon gift cards? This changes everything. I've been a Prime member for years.
Yeah gift cards I normally hate but I will always use every penny of an Amazon one......

Old 03-22-2017, 09:44 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
My local Chase told me about 5 years ago that they only accept rolled coins.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:54 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
My bank does not take change, nor rolled coins. I take them to my local CoinStar.
Interesting. What bank?? So they would not take a business like a vending company or arcade as a depositor??

Old 03-22-2017, 10:18 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Another reason I quit using it. It confuses them and makes it a hassle.

nearly every place today they just enter the amount you gave them and it tells them the change to give back. It can't get any simpler !

Old 03-22-2017, 10:53 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Since change/coins are legal US currency aren't they obligated to take it, even if I bring a whole bucket full? I realize this is a bit of a minor issue but it just seems that banks handle money and yet they're telling me they can't handle it unless they get it a certain way. Maybe I'll put a little bow on each roll to make them happy.
That's exactly right. Read some of the responses that portray Chase into the hero and you, as the problem. See, it's not Chase's fault that you want to use legal tender. It's YOUR fault.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:45 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
nearly every place today they just enter the amount you gave them and it tells them the change to give back. It can't get any simpler !
Which is why it's so much fun to wait until they hit the button that tells them how much to give you back.. Then hand them a quarter.

You get to watch someone's head pop clean off their shoulders.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:53 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I'm happy with the Amazon giftcards from Coinstar but you do need to double check which giftcards each machine has, they don't all offer the same ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance