Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:53 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times

Advertisements

Like most people every day I come home, I empty my pockets and I throw my loose change into a container and when that container fills up I take it in to my local Chase to deposit. It usually comes out to $150 or so. This last time that I went they told me that they do not have the coin counting machines anymore and I would have to roll all the coins to be able to deposit them. Now, I've done this many times before and there was never any issue about it. So this policy change smacks me as a bit narrow minded on their part. I even asked the teller don't you have to still verify that the rolled coins are actually money and he admitted that they have some sort of machine that verifies the coins.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...stomer-service

Since change/coins are legal US currency aren't they obligated to take it, even if I bring a whole bucket full? I realize this is a bit of a minor issue but it just seems that banks handle money and yet they're telling me they can't handle it unless they get it a certain way. Maybe I'll put a little bow on each roll to make them happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 04:01 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
I've never had a problem with chase accepting my change but I do roll it myself. It doesn't take hardly any time at all

Old 03-20-2017, 04:05 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post

Since change/coins are legal US currency aren't they obligated to take it, even if I bring a whole bucket full?
My bank does not take change, nor rolled coins. I take them to my local CoinStar.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:23 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
My bank does not take change, nor rolled coins. I take them to my local CoinStar.
....and they take a percentage, right?

Old 03-20-2017, 04:28 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I've never had a problem with chase accepting my change but I do roll it myself. It doesn't take hardly any time at all
Well it takes time when you go to the bank to find out they won't take it, pick up the rolls, take them home, roll them up and go back to deposit them.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:43 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
usually. Though you can get around this.

The default is 10.9%.. that is pretty hefty.. You take in $100 in coins, you 'lose' $11 to them and get $89. It's not horrible, but it's not good, either.

You can find them in some places that have a lower percentage, because the store subsidizes it a bit. I think Walmart and some others are less than the 10.9%

But.. If you elect to have the money placed onto a gift card.. You keep 100%

So.. Take your $200 in change, dump it in the machine, and elect for an Amazon gift card.. that's not bad at all. Especially if you're already a Prime member and get free shipping.

Yes, you have the whole "Then I have to spend the money with Amazon".. Yeah.. But what can't you get, normally cheaper, from Amazon anyway? So, to me at least, not that big a deal.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
They charge 9.9% unless you get gift cards instead of cash

Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
usually. Though you can get around this.

The default is 10.9%.. that is pretty hefty.. You take in $100 in coins, you 'lose' $11 to them and get $89. It's not horrible, but it's not good, either.

You can find them in some places that have a lower percentage, because the store subsidizes it a bit. I think Walmart and some others are less than the 10.9%

But.. If you elect to have the money placed onto a gift card.. You keep 100%

So.. Take your $200 in change, dump it in the machine, and elect for an Amazon gift card.. that's not bad at all. Especially if you're already a Prime member and get free shipping.

Yes, you have the whole "Then I have to spend the money with Amazon".. Yeah.. But what can't you get, normally cheaper, from Amazon anyway? So, to me at least, not that big a deal.

Losing 9-10% is horrible no matter how you slice it

Old 03-20-2017, 04:46 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
They charge 9.9% unless you get gift cards instead of cash
It's 10.9% now. Looks like it went up in October.. though, again, yes.. You can find some locations that have a lower percentage. I imagine some that might charge a higher one..

Quote:
If you decide to turn your coins in for cash, there is a 10.9% coin processing fee. Fees may vary by location.
That's right from the Coinstar site.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:19 PM

732 posts, read 1,046,218 times
I just went to my local credit union the other day where I bank. They have a coin machine in the lobby. I dumped my coins in, it counted them, popped out a receipt, then I took the receipt to the window and got nearly 25 bucks cash back with no fee. I don't think you have to be a member to use it. They didn't ask me if I was a member or anything at all for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance