Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 04:33 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,599,114 times

Advertisements

How much emergency fund do you keep on hand? Is there any situation that I'd need a large amount (>$100,000) cash within the day?

I have most of my money in CD accounts. Theoretically, they are available within 5 business day in cash format, if I take an early withdrawal. If I only need a cashier's check, it would be available within the day - any branch can issue a cashier's check for an early CD withdrawal.

I just don't see any reason to keep more than $10,000 cash in a checking/saving account. I do have a few thousand at home just in case.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 06:09 PM

34,131 posts, read 83,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How much emergency fund do you keep on hand?
Enough to cover your core commitments until you can earn enough again.

Quote:
Is there any situation that I'd need a large amount (>$100,000) cash within the day?
Dunno. You brought it up.
What commitments do you have that might require it?

Quote:
I have most of my money in CD accounts.
Most? What about 401K at work? IRA on your own?
Plain vanilla savings account? Shoe box full of Benjamins?

Quote:
I just don't see any reason to keep more than $10,000 cash in a checking/saving account.
Few do.

Quote:
What do you guys think?
I think you need to make some basic decisions and then make some changes.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:16 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,327,628 times
I'll make the assumption the OP means how much cash to keep at home. Any money in a bank is subject to federally imposed "bank holidays" and will not be available in a social (SHTF) emergency.

I would keep enough cash for 3 months of normal expenses plus food and gas. If it goes any longer the 3 months cash wont be worth much.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:30 PM

61,914 posts, read 87,450,383 times
Only you can calculate your emergency fund, OP. For how long your emergency fund should cover your expenses?
It should precedence over any other savings, including retirement, college, or money earmarked for a down payment on a home.

So, depending on the demand of your profession, and how easy would be for you to find another job in case you lost yours, most people settle for comfortable 12 months, others think that 6-8 months should be sufficient.

Now you need to add all your monthly expenses:
housing payment (rent or mortgage, HOA), car payment, insurances ( house, car, health, life ), transportation cost (gas, bus, passes), average utility payments, phone, cable, Internet, medical costs ( co-payments ), child care ( if any), student loans ( if any), other loans, credit card payments, shopping (groceries, clothing, toiletry, etc.), car/house maintenance, other expenses - gifts, association/club fees, memberships, regular donations etc.

All that x 6, 8 or 12 (number of months) = that's your emergency fund.

Also see this:
If you were fired tomorrow, how long could you pay your fixed bills?

If OP means just cash kept at home, then we already discussed it here:
Cash

Old 05-03-2017, 06:34 PM

26,196 posts, read 21,648,735 times
I have 50k in a savings account, not because I want to but because my wife finds comfort in having this cushion and despite my repeated conversations about how to better utilize the funds I found much better return in quality of life by letting it go

Old 05-03-2017, 08:25 PM

2,622 posts, read 2,347,335 times
You would never need money on an exact day....for anything that I can think of in today's world. 3-5 day transfers of money are more than enough time.

For the most part you could use a credit card to charge something. Take weeks to transfer some money over and pay off the card in full. Any other "expense" that I can think of would be planned or be given time to be paid off.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Enough to cover your core commitments until you can earn enough again.

Dunno. You brought it up.
What commitments do you have that might require it?

Most? What about 401K at work? IRA on your own?
Plain vanilla savings account? Shoe box full of Benjamins?

Few do.

I think you need to make some basic decisions and then make some changes.
I am a big saver. Everything is maxed out and I have zero debt for many many years.

I wonder if anything in life would require over $100,000 cash today.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
You would never need money on an exact day....for anything that I can think of in today's world. 3-5 day transfers of money are more than enough time.

For the most part you could use a credit card to charge something. Take weeks to transfer some money over and pay off the card in full. Any other "expense" that I can think of would be planned or be given time to be paid off.
I think so too. I have two cars. Even one is dead, I can make do for years without having to buy another.

I can't think any scenario short of SHTF we would need over $10,000 TODAY. Maybe to bail someone out of prison?

Old 05-03-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I'll make the assumption the OP means how much cash to keep at home. Any money in a bank is subject to federally imposed "bank holidays" and will not be available in a social (SHTF) emergency.

I would keep enough cash for 3 months of normal expenses plus food and gas. If it goes any longer the 3 months cash wont be worth much.
Very good point. Maybe I should keep $10k at home just in case.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:58 PM

2,622 posts, read 2,347,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Very good point. Maybe I should keep $10k at home just in case.
A time where you would need $10k cash on hand to pay for something that day?

I'll wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance