Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:31 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with this?

We retired and moved overseas to travel and see the world, but will probably be moving back to USA in 2-3 years and I'm curious how retired folks without a work paycheck pass the prequal if no pension social security. We could easily prove adequate investments to generate income to expenses, have excellent credit, no history of anything that would come up negative criminal/bankruptcy/eviction/etc. no dogs.

Can you just show them bank/investment account statements? We currently have an automatic dump into a checking account every month for spending money, would that suffice? If needed I could increase it during the last year abroad to make sure it easily covers the higher cost of living in USA.

I suspect the answer will be "depends on the landlord" but would be interested if anyone on here has first-hand accounts of what does or doesn't work. We're hoping to look at renting apartments at first since we don't own a lot of stuff and would be better for easing into things.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 02:12 AM

106,706 posts, read 108,880,922 times
it is up to the landlord .

we are having the same issue potentially getting a mortgage . banks want to see income outside your control like social security ,pension ,annuity ,etc .

most of the buyer's of bank mortgages have strict income requirements on the mortgages they buy .so even though we have a multi 7 figure portfolio the 3 banks we asked said it is a toss up as to whether we will qualify with me delaying social security .

Old 05-13-2017, 05:40 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We could easily prove adequate investments to generate income to expenses, have excellent credit,
no history of anything that would come up negative criminal/bankruptcy/eviction/etc. no dogs.

Can you just show them bank/investment account statements?
Statements alone? Not likely. They're too easy to gin up.

They'll want to see 1040's (and 1099's) and TRW reports which confirm the legend.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:34 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
They will want to see proof of income for the past several years.
When you find an apartment you like I would tell the person taking the application that you have no current employer as you have been traveling overseas for the past few years (hoping they assume this cost more than the rent) and you would be glade to show then the first two pages of your 1040 for the past year or two. The point is to get this up front .
They may ask for someone to guarantee the rent.
As you said, it will depend on the landlord.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:07 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Here's the rental forum - do a search as I believe this has been addressed: http://www.city-data.com/forum/renting/

Old 05-13-2017, 12:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Anyone have experience with this?

We retired and moved overseas to travel and see the world, but will probably be moving back to USA in 2-3 years and I'm curious how retired folks without a work paycheck pass the prequal if no pension social security. We could easily prove adequate investments to generate income to expenses, have excellent credit, no history of anything that would come up negative criminal/bankruptcy/eviction/etc. no dogs.

Can you just show them bank/investment account statements? We currently have an automatic dump into a checking account every month for spending money, would that suffice? If needed I could increase it during the last year abroad to make sure it easily covers the higher cost of living in USA.

I suspect the answer will be "depends on the landlord" but would be interested if anyone on here has first-hand accounts of what does or doesn't work. We're hoping to look at renting apartments at first since we don't own a lot of stuff and would be better for easing into things.

Cheers.
I would look at original tax returns followed by bank statements and credit check. I have rented to self employed but it's just a bit more research than a employed by someone type

Old 05-13-2017, 02:01 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
My sister did rent to one guy who just lost his job at the time, but he opened up cash for the whole year.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:05 PM

524 posts, read 574,968 times
We rented an apartment and all we needed was proof we had the equivalent of 2 years rent in the bank, plus good credit.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:33 PM

106,706 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My sister did rent to one guy who just lost his job at the time, but he opened up cash for the whole year.
many states have restrictions on how many months of rent can be prepaid .

to be honest i would never take anyone who offered a years prepayment .

what if when the year is up he has no money and you have to evict them to get them out.

i want to see both a willingness to pay via history and an ability to pay and continue paying .

Old 05-13-2017, 03:24 PM

550 posts, read 1,488,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
We rented an apartment and all we needed was proof we had the equivalent of 2 years rent in the bank, plus good credit.
This is often acceptable at large corporate managed apartment complexes. They may want to call for confirmation, but chances are if your credit is in the 800s, you're golden.

Small time landlords may have a problem with it, though if it were my property, clean credit would be better than any amount of income.

The one time my spouse and I went apartment shopping with no income, every place was willing to rent to us once we showed our financial statements, so long as our credit checked out, but they were all corporate owned apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance