Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 12:04 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times

Advertisements

Some nice advantages to being able to transfer from savings to checking instantly, the rest is a financial discipline issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 12:08 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,752,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Some nice advantages to being able to transfer from savings to checking instantly, the rest is a financial discipline issue.

I realized I do need a savings and checking account with the same bank for emergencies while I let the primary savings account grow.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarite View Post
Since education is a primary function of the zoo, they have special deals for schools. https://bronxzoo.com/field-trips

Guess that would explain why every grade school in the NYC metro has been taking kids to the Bronx Zoo on field trips forever!

Old 06-11-2017, 12:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
can i answer for him ?

1: i have no car and no public transportation

2: i have no big box stores

3: my credit and background report are not good , they won't hire me .

4:they would give me crappy hours which cut in to my posting time .

5: the dog ate my homework

Silly wabbit. There is public transportation here but the hours are limited; buses get sparse after 6-7 pm and if you don't get out of work by 10-11 pm you might not get home that evening.

You are correct that my credit report is an insuperable obstacle; I don't have any criminal record or other background issues to my knowledge.

Again, my weekday daytime availability is an issue, since I'm not available for many of the prime business hours.

MY dog doesn't eat homework.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:14 PM

9,869 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Silly wabbit. There is public transportation here but the hours are limited; buses get sparse after 6-7 pm and if you don't get out of work by 10-11 pm you might not get home that evening.

You are correct that my credit report is an insuperable obstacle; I don't have any criminal record or other background issues to my knowledge.

Again, my weekday daytime availability is an issue, since I'm not available for many of the prime business hours.
I think you could explain your credit report to a hiring manager.

In a typical month, how many appointments would you have - days/times?

Are you on disability and have a limit on the amount of money you can earn?

Old 06-11-2017, 04:22 PM

344 posts, read 245,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I was running some reports, I am a numbers guy and have every single expense dating back to 2006 recorded in Quicken But it's astonishing how much I have spent... here are some gems:

Average monthly over the last 65 months:

Eating out - $602
Groceries - $156
Vacations - $658
Rent - $1176
Motorcycles - $354
Fuel - $130
Entertainment - $56
Autos (including fuel, service etc.) - $347

Total average monthly expenditure - $3,918
Total average monthly net income - $6,672
Average savings rate: 41%

I still managed to save 41% of my income monthly which I think is OK, but could've done better. I think my expenditures are crazy, $750/mo. on Food? WTF? That is insane. I just eat out too much and spend a lot on alcohol (2-3 beers/day add up)

So, my case in point - I think I spend quite a bit but I still have a good buffer and no debt... I know people don't spend as much eating out, never take any vacations and have no hobbies, are DUAL income and yet are living paycheck to paycheck. What are they doing with their money?
Your numbers would look a lot different if you had a family/kids or if you lived in a more expensive area. You should count your blessings that you make as much as you do. More than half the country doesn't make near that.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:56 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,612 times
Quote:
Who knew one could make 7 figures doing it?
You don't seriously believe he makes anything close to 7 figures do you?

Old 06-12-2017, 06:36 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:

"The Rent Is Too High" gets in the way of (5), (6), and (7).

11 million renters pay at least half their income for shelter.
5, 6 and 7 is an income problem. Period.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
??? ??? ??? ??? Unskilled workers can spend all the time in the world looking for better jobs with zero positive results. Going back to school is financially not an option.
Not one single person is born with a skill. So every person that is utilizing their skill learned it somewhere. A good many of them learned it themselves, not through formal schooling.

You've already been to school and squandered the skills it gained you. Why would you think that repeating the same thing would result in a different outcome? You still refuse to work 40 hours a week. You still refuse to commute to a job.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:

MY dog doesn't eat homework.
I love the freemkt drinking game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance