Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 04:07 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,558,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
short answer -- yes I would.
Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 04:31 PM

10,620 posts, read 12,152,727 times
[quote][?? We are crazy for spending a few hours online to save money?/QUOTE]

1) I'm a research junkie anyway. About almost everything, even when it's not about saving money. Could be just choosing which appliance to buy.

a) I'm naturally curious about so many things.....b) the info is right at your fingertips online......so what's not to look it up

2) Now....when it comes to how much TIME that takes. Well, each person values his or her time differently. Some people spend an hour looking up ways to save $5.00. Others won't spend five minutes looking up how to save $1,000.

Just like the frugality posts about making your own laundry detergent or baking your own bread, or doing your own home improvement, or your own car maintenance -- or ANY actions that could save a person money.....some people are willing to do that...others aren't. For years I paid someone to cut my lawn.....others would never dream of doing that.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:12 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,593,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Investor View Post
I don't think so but they would view the time spent as painful and taking away from the idea of a vacation is suppose to be joyful and stress-free. They think as long as you are worrying about money, the joy of the vacation is gone.
But you're not 'worrying' ON your vacation, right? The bargain hunting is over, and you are relaxing with more money in the bank?

I don't want to be uber-frugal the whole time I'm ON the vacation. I spend more freely for what I want after getting there. I do think it's weird when people have the same frugal rules on vacation. If I want to eat AT the hotel and it's more expensive that driving somewhere, so be it. Things like that being frugal would take the fun out for me.

Where I live if the soda machines at the pool were $4 I would never buy one, but I have paid that in a hotel. I also like room service and will get that at LEAST once on a trip if offered. I wanted beer once and God knows what I paid for two to come via room service in a beautiful thing of ice with pretty glasses. I could have left the hotel and gotten 18 for that price, but, not as fun.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:29 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,938,203 times
I think it's all a personal decision. I don't have to worry about what I spend on things, so I don't. Especially when on vacation, I want a nice experience. That usually means a limo to/from the airport, limo to/from the hotel and always a suite if it's available. I like room service for breakfast too.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:22 PM

68 posts, read 62,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Investor View Post
When most of my friends travel, they simply go online and book a hotel at the going rate. Most of them insist on staying at traditional hotels like Marriott, Hilton or Sheraton. These types of places usually cost them about $250 a night. When they eat out when traveling they spend about $30 a meal on average and get an appetizer, main course and desert and a few beers. They rent the car at the airport and just pay the going rate.

My wife and I, on the other hand, use every available technique we can utilize to stay at the same quality hotels but save money. We use Priceline, or Hotwire, Groupon or coupons for meals out, and rent the car at an in-town location so we don't have to pay airport taxes. We spend lots of time online investigating bargains so we can save money.

My friends think we are crazy. They say: "When I am on vacation we want to have a good time so we don't worry about money."

Do you agree?
No because it doesn't take that long to save alot on travel. Maybe 10 minutes tops. Your friends have the right to do what they want but imho, they aren't being savvy. Which is fine. Leave it to the rest of us to save a buck or two

Old 06-01-2017, 07:41 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,086,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
. I still mow my own lawn, I guess I'm 'losing' money because it would only cost $30 for the 1.5 hrs I 'save'. Lol
$30 sounds unusually cheap, for 1.5 hours. My lawn requires 50 minutes using a gasoline push mower, and a lawn service here would charge at least $40.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:48 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,477,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
$30 sounds unusually cheap, for 1.5 hours. My lawn requires 50 minutes using a gasoline push mower, and a lawn service here would charge at least $40.
Jesus dude it was hypothetical

Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,169,634 times
I typically stay in higher end hotels but I also get rewards points from my work travel.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,846,249 times
I save when I can on the big things like flights, hotels, etc. But I do splurge on eating and stuff.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:36 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,387,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't think so.

I have a self imposed limit as to what I want to spend on a hotel, rental car or flight. So, I'll look until I find those possibilities. If it's a hotel, I'll spend more time because I'll read reviews and look at maps to make sure it's where I want to be.
Agree with bold statement above. I spend more time researching hotels for good reviews and a central location than cost but I try to book early before rates go up and use a company discount. My research on restaurants is geared towards good reviews although I avoid the $$$$ restaurants as these are generally too formal for my tastes. For rental cars, I just use Costco but compare it to the rental car website cost first.

I am a perfectionist and enjoy researching vacations and large purchases but spend too much time on it and can see why others who have family commitments or more active lives might not do this. Recently I spent hours and hours researching a purchase of a new laptop but my final decision was based on reviews, not price. I wanted to spend less but the results of the reviews finally convinced me to just pay the extra money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance