Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 03:49 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times

Advertisements

In looking at retirement planning, I've become ever more convinced that consumption is the key component that needs to be looked at.

Total Dollars Spent - Savings - Debt Payment Extinguished By Retirement
Take Home Pay

This becomes the basis of what you'll need in retirement and can be multiplied by an inflation rate to arrive at your costs. It can then be compared to your estimated invested savings/growth rate at the time of retirement to see what amount you'll need to retire at a given date.

I'll pick on a hapless relative of mine who saves nothing, but does have a contribution made each year of a very nice 10% of pay. When I look closer at their expenditures, I see nearly 50% of their pay is going towards a mortgage, student loans and an auto loan. Assuming these are gone when she retires as expected, her consumption that will keep going up each year is quite low, and she'll likely be able to retire on time.

Does anyone else look at retirement in this manner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 04:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
dollars spent is NOT the same as consumption

Old 07-08-2017, 05:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I look at cash flow. I know what it costs to run the house, the ski condo, the boat, car, health care, and the spending I push through my credit card in a year. That's what my retirement income is going to have to be or I'll need to start unloading luxuries like the ski condo and the boat and dial back general spending.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:13 AM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
as i always say it is going to be pretty much all about the ratio of discretionary vs non discretionary spending

Old 07-08-2017, 08:15 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
homeowners get to consume without spending

Old 07-08-2017, 10:23 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Consumption/spending is the key but for a lot of people it's pretty much the same or more than income

Old 07-08-2017, 03:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Cash flow is a more sustainable way to plan / survive retirement (same with a business).

You can do that numerous ways..
1) reduce spending
2) have a bundle of cash / interest bearing assets
3) have optimized investment income
4) Have 'other means' of contributing to income
5) Have assets that you periodically plan to sell over time... (proceeds contributing to your cash flows / investments)

---> Consider your spending / life habits

What will it take to support that?
What may change? (health / travel / activities)

One thing is for sure... you have LOTS of free time and opportunities to spend dough when retired - be prepared for that (discipline or BIG bucks).

Old 07-09-2017, 12:14 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
In looking at retirement planning, I've become ever more convinced that consumption is the key component that needs to be looked at.
I agree

Quote:
Total Dollars Spent - Savings - Debt Payment Extinguished By Retirement
Take Home Pay

This becomes the basis of what you'll need in retirement and can be multiplied by an inflation rate to arrive at your costs. It can then be compared to your estimated invested savings/growth rate at the time of retirement to see what amount you'll need to retire at a given date.

I'll pick on a hapless relative of mine who saves nothing, but does have a contribution made each year of a very nice 10% of pay. When I look closer at their expenditures, I see nearly 50% of their pay is going towards a mortgage, student loans and an auto loan. Assuming these are gone when she retires as expected, her consumption that will keep going up each year is quite low, and she'll likely be able to retire on time.

Does anyone else look at retirement in this manner?
Why would you go into retirement while not fully owning your home?

It seems to be contradictory to retire while still making payments [from your income] on your home.

I retired with a mortgage, yet I had rental income that exceeded my mortgage. My salary income was never required for any of the mortgages I have had.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:27 PM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
cash flow is king , not whether you paid off your house .

if you are generating more than the payments there is no reason not to leave the mortgage alone and leave the cash invested ..

if we buy next year we will take a mortgage in retirement . we are generating more on our own money leaving it where it is .

Old 07-10-2017, 06:20 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if we buy next year we will take a mortgage in retirement . we are generating more on our own money leaving it where it is .
I prefer to take the more conservative approach. My worst case is that my Social Security check will cover all my living expenses in my paid-for house. The rest can vaporize and I'll still have a roof over my head and food on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance