Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 11:49 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
...............What I learned from the book was that I could earn $50k/year and accumulate over a Million before I retired, if I controlled my spending.
If you learned that and were able to apply it, then the book was worth its weight in gold.

We earned really good money for only a few years and then went back to Mr/Mrs America type earnings. Nonetheless, we were able to retire comfortably and on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 01:42 PM

143 posts, read 296,221 times
I think you can live a balanced life. I've been able to max out my TSP and Roth accounts while saving, and living a very active life. I get about 4 weeks vacation, and I use that time to travel and pursue my hobbies. I'm headed to the Caribbean next week for vacation. Got a great flight and Airbnb deal.

I have a 7 years old car with no intentions on replacing it. I shop for work clothing at Lands end and social clothing at Nordstrom rack. I don't have cable, and I read a lot.

I think the key is to make $100k but live like you make $70k.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:49 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I am INTJ and female as well, and I agree, it's a rarity. I would bet most MND types are INTJ males.
I'm delighted and surprised by the number of responders here that are INTJ or even -NTJ. Definitely leads me to believe there is something to it...

Maybe I should make my prospective daughter-in-laws take the Briggs Meyers before things get too serious.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:28 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hahah....yes, I was reading the Encyclopedia Britannica in grade school...I don't even think I'm an INTJ!
I used to read encyclopedias, too. I'm betting you're an introvert, if not an INTJ.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I thought I would be an INTJ person, woman in engineering(when engineering wasn't even cool), but to my surprised I have an E, might be ENTJ, very close or borderline to INTJ. Go figure.
ENTJs and INTJs both tend to earn a lot of money. INTJs tend to be good savers. ENTJs, not so much. Being on the border of those two is a good combination!

Old 08-13-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I am INTJ and female as well, and I agree, it's a rarity. I would bet most MND types are INTJ males.
Not necessarily. ENTJs tend to earn the most and tend to have better social skills than INTJs. If they can control their spending, they can do quite well.

I would be interested in knowing, though.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If you learned that and were able to apply it, then the book was worth its weight in gold.

We earned really good money for only a few years and then went back to Mr/Mrs America type earnings. Nonetheless, we were able to retire comfortably and on time.
Yeah, I agree. I don't earn a lot but the portfolio is on track for retirement before 65. I could semi-retire now if I moved somewhere cheaper.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexthedestroyer View Post
I think the key is to make $100k but live like you make $70k.
You're getting warm. The key is savings rate as a % of after tax income. If you save 30% of your income, you're on track for an early retirement, but not a super early one.

Step that savings rate up to 50% (after tax), and, if you're staring from 0, you can retire in 15-20 years, depending on investment returns.

The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement

If you're starting from 0, a 30% savings rate gets you financially independent in 28 years.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:38 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Sure wish I had MMM available when I was just starting out. I was a good saver but never thought much about retirement beyond doing auto contributions to 401Ks and IRA accounts. I saved in addition to those, but didn't realize I needed to also invest my savings and not just keep them in savings accounts and CDs, until about 5 years ago. Since then I've really ramped things up, but I would have been able to retire years before if only I knew then what I know now and how vital it is to have all one's money working, not just retirement monies.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Sure wish I had MMM available when I was just starting out. I was a good saver but never thought much about retirement beyond doing auto contributions to 401Ks and IRA accounts. I saved in addition to those, but didn't realize I needed to also invest my savings and not just keep them in savings accounts and CDs, until about 5 years ago. Since then I've really ramped things up, but I would have been able to retire years before if only I knew then what I know now and how vital it is to have all one's money working, not just retirement monies.
I wish the same. For me, I think I would have been more focused on frugality when I was young. I would have been less obsessed with finding the absolute best mutual fund and just focused on earning and saving/investing.

I am sure I could have cut 2-7 years off my financial independence date if I'd been more focused and invested better (i.e. not switched around from fund to fund).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance