Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 05:48 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I'm delighted and surprised by the number of responders here that are INTJ or even -NTJ. Definitely leads me to believe there is something to it...

Maybe I should make my prospective daughter-in-laws take the Briggs Meyers before things get too serious.
Yes, there is definitely a personality aspect to this. I don't believe other people can't learn, but if it's inborn, then it's an advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 06:13 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
I never really thought much about it, but I am an INTJ also. Not extreme on the "I", though.

We're kinda rare, with our perspective on reality and all. I was the only one in our sales group. I was also top salesman.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:09 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
ENTJs and INTJs both tend to earn a lot of money. INTJs tend to be good savers. ENTJs, not so much. Being on the border of those two is a good combination!
You are right about not being a good savers, well early on in my career at least. I've since reformed. Lol

Old 08-13-2017, 07:13 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Sure wish I had MMM available when I was just starting out. I was a good saver but never thought much about retirement beyond doing auto contributions to 401Ks and IRA accounts. I saved in addition to those, but didn't realize I needed to also invest my savings and not just keep them in savings accounts and CDs, until about 5 years ago. Since then I've really ramped things up, but I would have been able to retire years before if only I knew then what I know now and how vital it is to have all one's money working, not just retirement monies.
I was never a CD person and always maxed out on 401k and such. But years ago I had spreadsheet and remember distinctly I should have a lot more than I have now, perhaps 10-20 times more. Maybe I never used 7-8% compounding. I remember in the 90s, it was considered a pittance to earn 15%. Them good old days.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You are right about not being a good savers, well early on in my career at least. I've since reformed. Lol
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. ENTJs tend to be good earners, so if they can reform themselves, as you did, then that can make up for their spending weakness.

Hopefully, blogs like MMM can get to this type of person younger and reform them sooner. Even if they never fully embrace the MMM lifestyle, they can still put themselves on a much better trajectory.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:55 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I think the issue with the "E" is that being social often means spending more on being social.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:58 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. ENTJs tend to be good earners, so if they can reform themselves, as you did, then that can make up for their spending weakness.

Hopefully, blogs like MMM can get to this type of person younger and reform them sooner. Even if they never fully embrace the MMM lifestyle, they can still put themselves on a much better trajectory.
there are many on MMM who intend to milk the system too to meet their goals like utilizing medicaid for health insurance so they can retire or hefty aca subsidies . .

Old 08-14-2017, 08:11 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. ENTJs tend to earn the most and tend to have better social skills than INTJs. If they can control their spending, they can do quite well.

I would be interested in knowing, though.
I'm an ENTJ and have always been a big saver. We're on pace to hit our FI goal by the time I am in my early 40s and our FIRE by the time I am 45-46 (assuming 5% real CAGR in my estimates).

Old 08-14-2017, 01:10 PM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I'm definitely an -NTJ, but I'm somewhere between the I&E.

I was raised to be a good saver by my father, an accountant. Had my first savings account when I was 7. Couldn't even see up to the counter. I remember my first deposit was $2 and then I'd add $1 or $2 each time. And you got the little passbook and they stamped it for you.

However, I'm not into looking at columns of numbers and detailed analysis. My eyes swim with that level of detail. I want the bigger picture. I'll learn about some of the details to understand, but I have no desire to be doing serious number crunching.

If only my father had been a savvy investor and taught me that from a young age.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:15 PM

455 posts, read 578,681 times
ENTP here so they just throw money at us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance