Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:27 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times

Advertisements

Women marry for security and mothering instinct.
Men marry for sex and companionship.

Money is just a proxy for security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 10:40 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'd marry for money, in the sense that I would only marry someone who actually has some. In other words, those up to their eyeballs in consumer debt, those who spend every cent as fast as they earn it, or those with truly horrendous credit scores need not apply. But that's not the usual use of the term "marrying for money," admittedly.
I call this this Marilyn Monroe (Lorel)) worldview (from 1953 Gentleman Prefer Blondes). She is being confronted by the suspicious father of Lorelei's fiancé, who thinks she is a gold digger.

Her comeback is very sensible, but in the screwball comedy genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Prefer Blondes: Marilyn Monroe talking to wealthy father of fiancé
(Lorelei)-That's too bad. l do love him.
(father of fiancé)-Certainly. For his money.
(Lorelei)No! Honestly.
(father of fiancé)You expect me to believe that you aren't marrying him for his money?
(Lorelei)-lt's true.
(father of fiancé)-Then why do you want to marry him?
(Lorelei)-l want to marry him for your money.
(iancé)-There!
(Lorelei)That's why we need his consent, silly.
(father of fiancé) We're getting down to brass tacks. You admit you're after money.

(Lorelei)No, l don't. Aren't you funny? Don't you know that a rich man is like a pretty girl? You don't marry her just because she's pretty. But, my goodness, doesn't it help? Would you want your daughter to marry a poor man? You'd want her to have the most wonderful things in the world.Why is it wrong for me to want those things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHp3OO0DalE

Last edited by PacoMartin; 07-18-2017 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Maybe depends on how much and whom I'm marrying.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 PM

493 posts, read 442,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Maybe depends on how much and whom I'm marrying.
This is the answer. It all depends.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:55 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times
I wouldn't want my daughter to marry only for money, but definitely wouldn't want her to married a poor guy who has no drive to ever want to succeed, because i would hate to see my daughter suffers financially.

Best happy ending story would be, they love each other, he isn't well off, but have big drive and ambitious, they get married and both works hard to achieve great success financially.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:10 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
The flip side of this question is:

Would you marry someone who couldn't manage money? They're underwater on a mortgage on a condo they can't afford. They have a new luxury car on a 7 year loan where they're underwater. Every credit card is maxed. They have $100K in school loans and a degree in something that doesn't help employment. Art History. Women's Studies.

For me, that's a big "nope". I have no interest in being a white knight trying to bail out someone who is pretty likely to drown me during the rescue.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:45 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
......Would you marry someone who couldn't manage money? ..........
Marry? No way. I am not going to sign up to be responsible for their debts. Casual dating, maybe, if they were exceptionally good company. If we don't have a serious relationship, I don't care about their money management.

But no way for any sort of relationship that might get serious.

One of the surest relationship killers is to have one partner a saver and the other an out of control spender. His irresponsible money management would irritate me after awhile, so I can't see the relationship lasting long.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:37 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
-- One spouse can get Soc. Sec. based on the other.
Not really an advantage unless you're talking about people with different earning capacities. Eg, if your "spouse" doesn't work and you make $100k/yr you can get married and then divorce at retirement age and the non-working "spouse" can collect on your earnings. Two people with roughly the same earning capacity it's not any advantage. If you're marrying for money, there's not really any advantage.

Quote:
-- There was the marriage penalty filing taxed separately versus joint issue.
(Has that been TOTALLY eliminated? I didn't think so. I think they tweaked it so the difference is so much now but I didn't think it had been totally eliminated. Maybe it has been. I'm not married so I don't follow news about that.)
Again, totally depends on earning capacity of both people. Picking up a spouse with similar earning capacity wouldn't really benefit me any. Filing separately is somewhat fixed. You can take half the standard deduction if you file separately which is the same standard deduction for a single person. The tax brackets, however, are half of what they are for a married person which means they are smaller than for a single taxpayer for the 25% and above brackets. That may or not matter. If you have a taxable income of $90,000 it would. The 25% bracket for married filing separately is smaller so you'll pay about $15,000 at 28%.
Quote:
-- Any two for one deal
What does that have to do with being married?
Quote:
-- Travel discounts (I'd pay a single supplement if I took a cruise.)
There was a discussion one time about why hotel rooms on LAND are priced by the room. IE. the ROOM is 150.00 a night whether there's one person in it or two the ROOM is 150. But one a cruise it's they don't sell it that way. It's 3,000.00 each for two people. But travel alone (or stay in the room alone, and YOU pay xx.xx amount in a single supplement, say an extra 1,000. Well if they want 4000 for the room. Then offer the room at 4,000. And stop the single supplement crap in the pricing.
I've read there are cruises that offer single rooms, and some cruise line have changed that single supplement policy. But still, I've always felt it was unfair to charge singles more. But that's just my option. Because of course, I'm single.)
What does that have to do with being married? I've only gone on one cruise and shared a room with another guy. Single supplement is because lots of stuff is inclusive in cruises. It's $3,000 per person for the room and all the other included stuff based on double occupancy. If you're not doing double occupancy they charge you an extra $1,000 for the room but don't charge you the other $2,000 for all the other stuff.

Really the only thing I'd marry for for financial reasons is health insurance since I'm self-employed.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:46 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Oh, I don't know about that......

Again, NOT just marriage. Why couldn't two platonic friends, get together and say to themselves. "Listen, if we pool our financial resources we both come out ahead. Set up a contract. We live of one of our salaries and bank the other. We could BOTH retire early, and perhaps have a better lifestyle in the mean time."

Shared housing, shared food, shared gain. Live off one salary and bank the other.
I'd have to look at that deal.

People do a whole lot of other things for money. Why not make this into a financial deal as well.

If you want to marry you could....it would save on health insurance also. Or stay single and each be on your own employers health insurance.

Personally I think I'd rather stay single and pool the resources, share expenses -- with no legal marriage ties. Just a financial contract.
why not find a man if its just about money

Old 07-20-2017, 04:11 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
depends on what my situation is and how much money and the personality/situation of the other party is. The question is not clearly defined, and there are too many assumptions to be made.

if I'm dirt poor or in prison, why not? Even if the other person is a total pain to be around, still better than what I got.

If I live a comfortable lifestyle, make good money, generally happy, and the other person compliments, then I might go for it. But if the other party is a total *****, has 10 kids that I'm expected to baby sit, etc etc, I won't go for it, no matter how much more money I'd have access to. I personally can be comfortable and happy with modest material possessions, even if I make or have access to enough money to increase my lifestyle.
----------------

generally speaking, men want someone who is a good companion, hell she could work at starbucks, as long as she's a good companion and faithful, a man can be happy.

a woman wants security, and in this day and age security means money and positions of power. So generally women want to marry up in social/economic class because they want access to more money and power than they currently have access to. So no matter how much of "a good guy" the guy is, if he doesn't have those qualities, the good guy will "finish last" if the woman has a choice between two.

again, these are generalizations.

Last edited by rya96797; 07-20-2017 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance