Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 04:16 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Are you married? Have children? Or Grandkids? Do you have any causes you love to give too. Now imagine having $100,000,000. One could set up trusts for loved ones. One could set up trusts to a favorite cause.
At $10 million, if one uses the 4% rule, I could live at $400,000 per year for a budget and likely never run out of money. In fact, there is a substantial chance that I'd die with more than $10 million in that case. (yes, we can argue around the details of the 4% rule, but it's close enough for this discussion).

I do have a kid, but suffice to say that "several million" would be PLENTY of money to inherit and/or receive during lifetime. As for philanthropy - sure, more money would be nice for that, but that's icing on the cake, as it were. Again, at $10 million lump sum, I could likely have plenty left over for charity (or I could do a Charitable Lead Annuity Trust to kill two birds with one stone re: philanthropy AND assets to descendants, but that's getting technical).

In simple terms - I'd rather have a 1 in 10 million (assuming $1/ticket) chance of winning $5 million, say, than a one in 200 million chance of winning $100 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 04:17 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Well, they always say the lottery is a tax on people who can't do math.
I'm thinking the lady that won is thinking "people who don't buy 3 tickets are idiots"

$6 into 480 million is a pretty good deal!

Old 08-26-2017, 10:04 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
<>
But I also think she'd have been able to do that IF they'd all three said the same thing, at new news conference.
-- "This pot was so big we went in on it together."
-- "Yeah we always pool our money for big pots."
And besides THEY shouldn't be doing ANY talking. They're lawyer should be. But whatever.....
<>
It doesn't matter what you say to the press, so much as what you say to the IRS agents. Ask Martha Stewart what happens if you lie to Federal agents?

Old 08-26-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
At this level, the "highest tax consequences" are virtually non existent from an income tax perspective. Everything over about 500K is taxed at the top marginal level of 39.6%. <>
Regarding "how will she manage for a month or two" - as another poster noted, is there any indication she's in dire financial straits?
No, and I'm sure her bank would be happy to bring out their best song and dance man to arrange a loan of a million or so to get her by. ;-)
Doesn't she also get hit up for the 3.8% ACA tax? Is there an upper limit on that one?
"It's complicated"

Old 08-26-2017, 11:16 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter what you say to the press, so much as what you say to the IRS agents. Ask Martha Stewart what happens if you lie to Federal agents?
My point was she's precluded herself from certain options. That's all.

(I also just realized I spelled 'they're' incorrectly.'
Or to be more precise used the wrong "they're"....it should have been "their lawyer." UGH.)

Old 08-26-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
<>(I also just realized I spelled 'they're' incorrectly.'
Or to be more precise used the wrong "they're"....it should have been "their lawyer." UGH.)
"thier's" a thread for people like that:
I can't take it anymore. Part 2

Old 08-26-2017, 11:44 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,362 times
Quote:
At $10 million, if one uses the 4% rule, I could live at $400,000 per year for a budget and likely never run out of money. In fact, there is a substantial chance that I'd die with more than $10 million in that case. (yes, we can argue around the details of the 4% rule, but it's close enough for this discussion).

I do have a kid, but suffice to say that "several million" would be PLENTY of money to inherit and/or receive during lifetime. As for philanthropy - sure, more money would be nice for that, but that's icing on the cake, as it were. Again, at $10 million lump sum, I could likely have plenty left over for charity (or I could do a Charitable Lead Annuity Trust to kill two birds with one stone re: philanthropy AND assets to descendants, but that's getting technical).

In simple terms - I'd rather have a 1 in 10 million (assuming $1/ticket) chance of winning $5 million, say, than a one in 200 million chance of winning $100 million.
I'd be ok with 100,000,000 as much as 10,000,000. No I would not pack my garage full of Lamborghini's either if I won $100 million.

Of course i would take my chances to win 5 million when the odds are at 1 in 10 million, compared to 1 in 300 million for both the powerball and mega millions. I don't play the lottery all that much, so where is this chance to win 5 million dollars with those odds?

Old 08-26-2017, 03:31 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
No, and I'm sure her bank would be happy to bring out their best song and dance man to arrange a loan of a million or so to get her by. ;-)
Doesn't she also get hit up for the 3.8% ACA tax? Is there an upper limit on that one?
"It's complicated"
IIRC, the 3.8% investment income surtax doesn't apply to lottery winnings (but don't quote me on that as it's been awhile since I looked it up).

And yeah, I'm sure she can get a loan or something. :-) The big finance firms that are trying to get assets under management (AUM) also tout the fact that people who give them a lot of cash to manage get really good loan rates/terms and superquick approvals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I'd be ok with 100,000,000 as much as 10,000,000. No I would not pack my garage full of Lamborghini's either if I won $100 million.

Of course i would take my chances to win 5 million when the odds are at 1 in 10 million, compared to 1 in 300 million for both the powerball and mega millions. I don't play the lottery all that much, so where is this chance to win 5 million dollars with those odds?
Some of the state lottos (or even smaller state lottos) can get very good odds at times. Illinois had (maybe they still have) a "little lotto" - odds to win were about 575,000-1, and occasionally the prizes climbed well above that (I think one time it got over a million). I played the TX state lotto a few years ago when the jackpot was around $20 million and the odds of winning that were about 25 million to one. Of course there's a still a chance of multiple winners to divide up the prize, etc. Back when I was in charge of our office lottery pool I'd use the BINOMDIST function in Excel to guesstimate the chances of 1 or 2 or 3 or however many winners (or no winner at all). It's pretty simple math once you think about it.

My point is even given the same "expected value per ticket" (in this case, 50 cents on the dollar, which probably isn't far off with many of these lotteries once the jackpot builds up), I'd go with the "better" odds of winning a "generally smaller" jackpot because the first 3 or 5 or 10 million is worth far far more to me than the next 90+ million. Again, it's all about diminishing marginal utility. Sure, a gazillion dollars is great and all and I'd find various good works to put it towards, but in practical terms, most of us hit most of our "financial life goal" markers long before that. So I'd rather play a lottery with really really really low odds of winning, but still get almost all the practical benefit, than one with really really really REALLY REALLY low odds of winning.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:37 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
<<SNIP>>

My point is even given the same "expected value per ticket" (in this case, 50 cents on the dollar, which probably isn't far off with many of these lotteries once the jackpot builds up), I'd go with the "better" odds of winning a "generally smaller" jackpot because the first 3 or 5 or 10 million is worth far far more to me than the next 90+ million. Again, it's all about diminishing marginal utility. Sure, a gazillion dollars is great and all and I'd find various good works to put it towards, but in practical terms, most of us hit most of our "financial life goal" markers long before that. So I'd rather play a lottery with really really really low odds of winning, but still get almost all the practical benefit, than one with really really really REALLY REALLY low odds of winning.
How did you come up with an EV of $.50/dollar?

Old 08-26-2017, 04:07 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Quote:
It's also $2 per ticket, so the hypothetical "what if you could buy every number combination" thing means you'd have to spend about $584 million (of after-tax dollars) to win a pre-tax lump sum that, in this case, was about $480 million.

I'm not a fan of the multi-state lotteries because of the extremely long odds and "diminishing marginal utility" - in other words, my quality of life at about a $10 million lump sum jackpot will be awfully good, and will not be appreciably better with a $100 million (or whatever) jackpot. In simple terms, how many Lambos does one really need in their garage?
$10 million vs. $100 million or even $300 million can definitely make a difference. At $10 million, I'd live the same life I'm living now but with more financial security. A $300 million lump-sum after taxes is the difference between paying for your kids/grand-kids college education and having scholarships and college libraries named after you. In theory a person could keep their life exactly the same, but even if you don't spend everything on material goods, you may be inclined to help people/organizations etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance