Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 12:55 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
Yes its Bank of America, I've had this account since 2004, when I was a freshman in college. I do not believe I've ever deposited anything over 10K, maybe 15K but I'd have to look at my records.

I have a time sensitive investment I want to make. How long of a hold?
Holds are almost always 7-10 days. I would specifically seek out the manager of the BoA branch and inform them of your intentions and why you need the hold lifted. They should be able to confirm the check is valid by contacting the institution where the check was written and decide how much that they can offer you immediately (if not the full amt). The real big question they'll want to know is where the proceeds came from. If you have proof of that as well, you bolster your case.

Without that stuff, you're probably subject to a 10 day hold at a minimum due to the size and that I presume it's not a business account. There's a reason those holds exist, and it's to protect themselves and their customers from fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 12:58 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
I have a time sensitive investment I want to make. How long of a hold?
Likely 7 business days, maybe 5.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:01 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Hi, lets say I was to be imbursed, a $60K check and I wanted to deposit it into my bank account. Whats the best route to approach this with my bank so that my account isn't flagged for suspicious activity, and so that the deposit clears as quickly as possible?
It's not cash you are depositing, so your account shouldn't get flagged.

A check that size, at my bank anyway, depending on where the bank is located where the funds are being drawn on, should take at least 10 days to completely clear.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:16 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
I think it depends on the bank.

I have two banks that I use for personal checking. One (a credit union) puts a hold on all 'out of state' checks. Since the bank is located physically in my previous state, and I do the majority of my banking online, with only occasional physical deposits (thru a local credit union shared banking policy) - they are always held. Even if they're for a trivial amount.

The other bank is a local bank, so far no amount deposited in that account has been held (largest amount deposited so far has been about 10K. This is in an account with a relatively low continual balance. They simply don't put hold on check deposits.

So, I would check with the bank you use and simply ask them. "I have an important to make that will be needed nearly immediately for a time-sensitive investment, could you please tell me when I can expect funds to be available for use?". They should be able to answer that question for you.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
If you have matching funds already on deposit, or a history of such large deposits from a reputable source, you may be able to get the hold lifted quickly (immediately or within a day or two). Otherwise there's going to be a hold till the check is cashed and funds transferred from the issuing bank to your bank. This is usually 7-10 days at most banks.

You realize why, right? I mean, a check is nothing but a piece of paper and can often be fraudulent. Funds have to be verified and sometimes transferred before that money is available.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:17 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
How time sensitive is this investment that it can't wait a week? And you don't have 60k on hand already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance