Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 08:42 AM

782 posts, read 1,356,600 times

Advertisements

Been thinking about letting my life insurance policy lapse/ not renewing it.
I'm 62, look and feel 20 yrs younger and have no unhealthy habits.
I'm divorced, have 2 grown sons on their own and they have no dependents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 09:42 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
It doesn't sound like you do. But it's your decision of course.

Personally I think insurance is -- when a person doesn't need it -- as profiting from someone's death.
But then again plenty of people use insurance as a way to give/leave money to their kids, spouse, loved ones, etc.

If you want to set them up with money that IS one way to do it.

I would say -- after a person dies it IS nice to be able to get money RIGHT AWAY, with no delay. A friend was on a joint account with her mom so she had access to paying last bills, a funeral home, their attorney with no delay, and that was good. Without that sometimes the executor is putting out the money up front, and is paid back from the estate...but then again you have to HAVE an estate for that to work out well.

NONE OF THIS POST IS ADVICE.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:42 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Been thinking about letting my life insurance policy lapse/ not renewing it.
I'm 62, look and feel 20 yrs younger and have no unhealthy habits.
I'm divorced, have 2 grown sons on their own and they have no dependents.
Technically no, you probably don't need it.

But ( there's always a but!): if you decide later you want to get it, it'll be astronomical compared to renewal.

Second, as noted above if you want to leave something to the kids, it goes directly to them as beneficiaries.

Third, you may "feel 20 years younger", and have no unhealthy habits, but you still don't know you won't say, have a heart attack, a stroke, or be in a bad fatal car accident, through no fault of your own.

Insurance and the future are risks we take. I'd weigh VERY CAREFULLY before doing totally without. As I said new policies in older age cost a fortune. I'd rather have than not, but that is me. I was older when I considered LI, and the cost is great compared to when I was 20 something. I have a spouse, but no children, my spouse will fend ok, but I'm thinking of burial costs covered if nothing else.

It's ultimately up to you.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:53 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I'm 79 and had some life insurance by employers over the 40 yrs of working, but do not buy any on my own. I agree with the posters above. Insurance can be very beneficial but it's also a lot of fear induced thinking and that's why insurance companies are so rich. And their execs drawing mega salaries and bonuses and pensions...grrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 11-26-2017, 01:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm 79 and had some life insurance by employers over the 40 yrs of working, but do not buy any on my own. I agree with the posters above. Insurance can be very beneficial but it's also a lot of fear induced thinking and that's why insurance companies are so rich. And their execs drawing mega salaries and bonuses and pensions...grrrrrrrrrrrr
What? Fear induced thinking? Umm...the OP, like everyone else, will die one day. That's not inducing fear. That's accepting reality. The big consideration is does the OP care to leave the insurance proceeds to family, charity, endow a scholarship, etc. If not, then the coverage isn't needed.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:14 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,600 times
In 3 yrs, when I turn 65, the term life policy becomes so costly I planned to drop it then but now I'm thinking thats about $750/yr I'll continue to spend. I'm working and I do have enough to pay for any 'final expenses'.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:50 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
If someone wants money when you die let THEM pay for the insurance.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:43 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
As a child of someone who is getting older... don't worry about life insurance. We can manage the one time costs when you die(harsh, but fact), but please, unless you can retire today, have disability insurance. We can't take care of you until 65 on our own without a lot of sacrifice.

Personally, who cares about life insurance, if you care about your kids, get disability. Life insurance is just a gamble...

Last edited by Jeo123; 11-26-2017 at 10:22 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 10:12 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
In 3 yrs, when I turn 65, the term life policy becomes so costly I planned to drop it then but now I'm thinking thats about $750/yr I'll continue to spend. I'm working and I do have enough to pay for any 'final expenses'.
Hmmm, mine costs about 10 times that and I'm 63. You must not have much life insurance. Yes, I do plan to drop it.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:46 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
If you have enough money set aside so that your family can cover your final expenses, then it's probably not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance