Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 09:44 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

So this is fun...

In late 2015 through our financial advisor (when we had one) I asked to stop contributing to our kids' 529 plans in anticipation of paying off our mortgage and switching over to prepaid tuition plan through our state. Right afterwards we quit using the financial advisor and managing the 529s came under my husband as he is the legal owner of the accounts.

In the years since we've not done anything with the accounts. Nothing. About every 6 months or so we've talked about what to with the 529s and how to fund our kids' college educations. Husband says he'd like to buy into the prepaid college tuition, I said "fine, but they're in your name and I can't touch them". He says okay, but then when he looks into buying into the plan he learns it's closed until late summer/early fall (2017). Fine, he'll try again later.. and then forgets about it..

Until tonight.

The conversation started with me talking about rebalancing our portfolio. We talk for a long time about that, but eventually the conversation eventually comes around to the kids college educations and again, I state my position that he's absolutely free to do something different with the 529s, but I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed with being responsible for our retirement, and again, pragmatically speaking: those accounts are in his name. He understands and starts to immediately look into it. He sees that the state plan is open again and (finally) begins to look at moving those funds over...

But when he logs into the 529 accounts this evening he discovers that the funds in the accounts were distributed and the accounts were closed last July.

W... T... F...

He can't tell me anything beyond that. I see for myself that statements are showing a ZERO balance.

He got an angry look on his face and started mumbling about identity theft before disappearing and getting lost in a video game (typical).

Offices are closed until Monday, which seems like an awful long time from now.

Any ideas where our money could have gone that doesn't involve unlawful, criminal behavior?

Or did this identity theft crap finally happen to us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 09:48 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
If the accounts were completely inactive, the State may have taken them as abandoned property.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Serious question what in the world do you hope to learn by posting on this internet board? For the love of Pete no one on here will have the remotest idea how to answer your question.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
If the accounts were completely inactive, the State may have taken them as abandoned property.
I wouldn't think they'd classify as abandoned in less than three years of inactivity.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Serious question what in the world do you hope to learn by posting on this internet board? For the love of Pete no one on here will have the remotest idea how to answer your question.
Why wouldn't they? Are you saying that most people who post in these forums, especially a finance forum, don't have online accounts of any sort? That nobody here has ever experienced something unusual or incomprehensible with their online accounts?

What I do know is that you and a few others would never help me, but there are others that do.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Why wouldn't they? Are you saying that most people who post in these forums, especially a finance forum, don't have online accounts of any sort? That nobody here has ever experienced something unusual or incomprehensible with their online accounts?

What I do know is that you and a few others would never help me, but there are others that do.
We can't help you. You have to help yourself. The only person with the answer to this seemingly incomprehensible question is an account rep for the company who holds your accounts. That is it.

You can spend the next twelve hours conjuring up possibilities in your head or just wait and hear it from the horses mouth.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
We can't help you. You have to help yourself. The only person with the answer to this seemingly incomprehensible question is an account rep for the company who holds your accounts. That is it.

You can spend the next twelve hours conjuring up possibilities in your head or just wait and hear it from the horses mouth.
*ignore*

Old 01-06-2018, 10:02 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Frankly, I think your husband knows exactly what happened to that money, but I'll be interested in learning what you find out on Monday.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Frankly, I think your husband knows exactly what happened to that money, but I'll be interested in learning what you find out on Monday.
That perhaps he did something with the money and didn't tell me?

Old 01-06-2018, 10:17 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance