Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 06:24 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times

Advertisements

This remind me of a story. Once a upon a time, a farmer was on the way to corn field, and a rabbit kill itself by running into a tree. The farmer thought about this, if he can just come here everyday and wait for a rabbit to kill itself everyday, he would be set for life without ever having to farm again. He waited days after days, and no more rabbit ever run into that tree again.

Don't be that farmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 09:16 PM

270 posts, read 203,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I actually fear for that young lottery winner's life. They printed his full name, and Port Richey is not that small of a town........the Rip-Off Artists are going to descend on him like the Plagues. There's already an internet hoax about him paying people $5000 if they follow him on Twitter.

He should call a Lawyer to change is name, call the Phone Company to change his number, and call a Realtor and get the heck out of town. There are people in Florida that will kill you for a lot less than $450 Mill.
I agree. In my state if you win the lottery your name is posted. A simply search will give people all of your information. Once you win the lottery you need to move at the very least to another city, or you become a target. Plenty of people who win the lottery have their life ruined or end up dead....but for most people it's just a waste of money because they don't win. Lottery money comes with it's cons. save and invest.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:20 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlong2315 View Post
I agree. In my state if you win the lottery your name is posted. A simply search will give people all of your information. Once you win the lottery you need to move at the very least to another city, or you become a target. Plenty of people who win the lottery have their life ruined or end up dead....but for most people it's just a waste of money because they don't win. Lottery money comes with it's cons. save and invest.
How often do lottery winners end up dead by the way of someone killing them? You are aware there are plenty of very wealthy people who are in the public eye a lot and they aren’t killed in any large numbers right?

Old 01-23-2018, 09:23 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Megamillions and PowerBall are the two that had huge jackpots recently. That 20 year old won the mega-millions jackpot.

These things hit the news when the jackpot gets above a certain point. Which it does if the jackpot continues to grow when a winning number isn't matched.

I think everyone will like to win money. That said - you also can't rely on that given the extreme odds of winning. Power odds are 1:~300 million and mega-millions is 1:~260 million. They always compare that to being struck by lightening over the next year - 1:700,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I actually fear for that young lottery winner's life. They printed his full name, and Port Richey is not that small of a town........the Rip-Off Artists are going to descend on him like the Plagues. There's already an internet hoax about him paying people $5000 if they follow him on Twitter.

He should call a Lawyer to change is name, call the Phone Company to change his number, and call a Realtor and get the heck out of town. There are people in Florida that will kill you for a lot less than $450 Mill.
And with all that.. Someone always does win, eventually. And the people who win have one thing in common.. They bought a ticket.

I don't really play, either. Once in a while I'll plop out $20 or something just for the hell of it. Realistically, I know I won't win, but those few days of there being a chance are fun to dream.

Here in SC, you can remain anonymous.. And you can bet your ass I would.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And with all that.. Someone always does win, eventually. And the people who win have one thing in common.. They bought a ticket.

I don't really play, either. Once in a while I'll plop out $20 or something just for the hell of it. Realistically, I know I won't win, but those few days of there being a chance are fun to dream.

Here in SC, you can remain anonymous.. And you can bet your ass I would.

Just because someone eventually wins doesn’t mean your odds change. The jackpots are getting higher for a reason, they’ve made the game increasingly harder over the years. Your odds are the odds

Old 01-23-2018, 10:16 PM

270 posts, read 203,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How often do lottery winners end up dead by the way of someone killing them? You are aware there are plenty of very wealthy people who are in the public eye a lot and they aren’t killed in any large numbers right?
I'm not saying a lot of people are being killed. Youre only focused on one part of what I said. I also said have their life ruined. i'm just saying it's not always as good of a thing as people think. There are plenty of situations where a lottery winner is worse off after winning the lottery years later. There are times when a lottery winner has turned up dead for whatever reason. There are tons of documentaries about lottery winners and how they are doing after the lottery. A simple youtube search will provide you with tons of documentaries about lottery winners. Those public wealthy people are celebrities. Which is very different than regular joe who got lucky, but even still some celebrities have issues because people are after their money.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:42 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Just because someone eventually wins doesn’t mean your odds change. The jackpots are getting higher for a reason, they’ve made the game increasingly harder over the years. Your odds are the odds
Your odds change when you have a ticket vs not having a ticket. Yeah.. They go from 0 to 0.00000001 ish, but..

Look, I don't recommend playing the lottery as a means of financial planning. And I certainly don't recommend it to people who don't have the money to spend. But I see no problem if someone wants to buy a ticket. Yeah, the odds are astronomical, but, someone does win.. it's not a scam or anything.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying a lot of people are being killed. Youre only focused on one part of what I said. I also said have their life ruined. i'm just saying it's not always as good of a thing as people think. There are plenty of situations where a lottery winner is worse off after winning the lottery years later. There are times when a lottery winner has turned up dead for whatever reason. There are tons of documentaries about lottery winners and how they are doing after the lottery. A simple youtube search will provide you with tons of documentaries about lottery winners. Those public wealthy people are celebrities. Which is very different than regular joe who got lucky, but even still some celebrities have issues because people are after their money.
I focused on what I saw as outlandish

Old 01-24-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Your odds change when you have a ticket vs not having a ticket. Yeah.. They go from 0 to 0.00000001 ish, but..

Look, I don't recommend playing the lottery as a means of financial planning. And I certainly don't recommend it to people who don't have the money to spend. But I see no problem if someone wants to buy a ticket. Yeah, the odds are astronomical, but, someone does win.. it's not a scam or anything.

I didn’t say your odds didn’t change based on buying a ticket vs not but rather the idea you stated that someone eventually wins. That part is irrelevant to the overall odds

Old 01-27-2018, 04:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
In my state (Kansas), lottery winners can remain anonymous. I don't see why it's not that way in every state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance