Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 05:07 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,078,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Nobody openly displays their paid off mortgage for the world to see. Isn't broadcasting it to the world the point of a status symbol?

Aren't there better status symbols than that?
I think Ramsey just wanted to get under your skin. Ignore him! You to will have a mortgage one day and can brag about that. I am being serious, that is a goal of yours that tiny home so buying that will be a Bada Bing for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 05:47 PM

654 posts, read 425,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I wonder with the new tax code and deduction changes if that impacts anyone's view on paying off ones mortgage faster vs. outside investments.

This always goes through cycles anyway.

If you want to treat your home as a leveraged investment then do so.

Certainly in the past year, you'd look really smart making a 30% stock market return instead of a 4% mortgage interest pay-down. Other times.....not so smart.

It's also a HUGELY different discussion when you go from areas where houses can easily get up towards 1mil and areas where houses are more like 250k.
The only change is you can only deduct up to $750k instead of $1M. With mortgage rates as low as they are, you don't need to be 100% in stocks to make it worth it. Year to year no one knows, but over the long run the market has easily returned more than 4%.

Just look at Daves recommended mutual funds, they will return 12% over the long run

Old 02-22-2018, 10:23 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,374,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
We busted our tails paying our house off early. Took us 11 years, but got it done. The last two years before that, my loving bride was extremely burned out on her 29 year teaching career, so I told her to take retirement - we'd make do. 3 years ago, I was in a corporate sales meeting, listening to a egotistical CEO berating us - and she made the mistake of saying "Anybody that doesn't like it can leave". I got up and walked out - with no regrets. If we hadn't had the mortgage paid off, I'd have had to sit in the meeting and continue to listen to her... Two years later, I went on to SS, and frankly, we're having a ball.

That's the message Dave has that gets lost so often by those trying to show they're "smarter" than he is - it's a philosophy more than anything else. The man IS right - and for the vast majority of folks who simply lack the willpower to do it for themselves, his program can be a Godsend. My oldest son and his wife are on track to have their home paid off in two more years - he'll be 43. They're a single-earner household, and he and his wife have often foregone things for that lifestyle, but it's fun to watch them as they see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Nice. Paying off the mortgage gave you FU money - and you were able to do that. Congratulations!

Old 02-22-2018, 11:55 PM

30,904 posts, read 37,005,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm talking about F U Money in the context of a 1981 James Clavell book called Noble House. The #2 chica working for the corporate raider guy had amassed her F U money. A huge pile that would let her walk away from the game wealthy. I'm not talking about the metrics us "little people" use. Wall Street FU money is enough wealth to live in luxury the rest of your life. Bomb-proof wealth. Not the magical 4% rule to eke out a bourgeois existence on $100K/year of cash flow people talk about here.
Oh, the pursuit of more never stops, does it?

Old 02-23-2018, 01:02 AM

10,356 posts, read 8,590,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm talking about F U Money in the context of a 1981 James Clavell book called Noble House. The #2 chica working for the corporate raider guy had amassed her F U money. A huge pile that would let her walk away from the game wealthy. I'm not talking about the metrics us "little people" use. Wall Street FU money is enough wealth to live in luxury the rest of your life. Bomb-proof wealth. Not the magical 4% rule to eek out a bourgeois existence on $100K/year of cash flow people talk about here.
But that $100k is all relative to ones personal expenses. Some might find it comfortable and others living quite well.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:50 AM

736 posts, read 457,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Oh, the pursuit of more never stops, does it?
is the pursuit of less money better somehow? When was the last time you turned down a raise?

Old 02-23-2018, 04:01 PM

30,904 posts, read 37,005,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
is the pursuit of less money better somehow? When was the last time you turned down a raise?
I think you understood my point, so no need for hyperbole. But in case you didn't, sometimes enough really is enough.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:12 PM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
except the age old question of how much is enough is like asking how long is a rope .

Old 02-23-2018, 06:21 PM

6,634 posts, read 4,324,285 times
There's nothing that beats the feeling of being debt-free.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:41 AM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
debt free is fine for some . others much prefer the feeling of having money being grown on other peoples money .there is good debt and there is bad debt . i have had no problem with good debt .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance