Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 08:55 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Your story on cars just doesn’t add up. A 13 miles commute one way 365 days a year is under 10k miles add in 40 miles a week for the grocery run and you are 11.5k

Also if I remember correctly you are extremely hard on vehicles with an absurd amount of major service issues at an abnormal rate
Work and the store is not our only driving. We are a one car household. I feel like I live in the car between taking son to meet father out of state, running the kids to activities like sports and camp. This week I am running every evening to see one dog currently being held out of state. My daughter treats an hour away so that also adds to my yearly driving.

We don’t spend much time at home. Does anyone really only go to the work daily and the grocery store weekly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 10:09 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Work and the store is not our only driving. We are a one car household. I feel like I live in the car between taking son to meet father out of state, running the kids to activities like sports and camp. This week I am running every evening to see one dog currently being held out of state. My daughter treats an hour away so that also adds to my yearly driving.

We don’t spend much time at home. Does anyone really only go to the work daily and the grocery store weekly?
No most people don’t only do that alone but most people don’t drive enough outside of work and groceries to more than double their annual mileage either

Old 08-18-2018, 12:37 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:

My wife and I combined don't even put 6000 miles a year on our cars.

Cars and their associated costs are huge, for those 20,000 miles you spent around $800/month on running your car on direct and indirect operating costs. They are nothing but a money suck yet so few change their lifestyles to reduce car need/use significantly.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:20 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
If you need to drive though, you need to drive. There’s not much altering that. At least your per-mile cost goes down the more you use the car.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:35 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
You're either going to pay the tows, repairs, and maintenance it takes to drive a used cash car until the wheels fall off or you're going to pay the car note and depreciation of a new car.

You're going to pay big bucks either way.

The key is to get a lightly used car that already has a warranty (perhaps certified pre-owned), one that you can pay off within 3-4 years. Now it's not too old to break down every 3 months, the depreciation is largely ate by the previous owner, and you don't have some long term loan to worry about.

The solution is not always black or white, sometimes it's gray.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:18 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
That's me JJOnes,
I am more interested in growing my net worth. I am in no big hurry to pay off my mortgage and plan on happily retiring with a mortgage.
Right now my investments are yielding around the 10-11% return. my mortgage is 3.75%.

Now generally I put about 35k miles on my car, courtesy of working 50 miles each way and driving on most of the family vacations. I've brought new cars usually because I wait and get 0% interest deal. My current car I brought new, a 2012 infiniti g37. I put down 50% got 0% financing from the dealer for 24 months. I'll keep it for maybe 4 more years, turn it in and decide if I get new again. I currently have about 160K miles on it.

needless to say I am not a Dave fan or follower. I have a hard time understanding how people will let a perfect stranger dictate their financial life but that's just me.
As someone once said to me, it’s easy for me to think I scored a run after having hit a single when in reality, I was born on third base. Not every millionaire pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps.

When I do catch him on the air, I enjoy Dave’s advice knowing it’s not aimed at me but rather, those not as financially literate. Sometimes, everyone needs a little push in the right direction.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:46 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
As someone once said to me, it’s easy for me to think I scored a run after having hit a single when in reality, I was born on third base. Not every millionaire pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps.

When I do catch him on the air, I enjoy Dave’s advice knowing it’s not aimed at me but rather, those not as financially literate. Sometimes, everyone needs a little push in the right direction.
Absolutely!! I just prefer to actually get my pushes from people that actually KNOW me and my situation instead of from someone off of tv that gives out these ridiculous (to me) statements like don't buy a new car without 1 million dollars.

Again just me.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:01 PM

1,067 posts, read 624,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Absolutely!! I just prefer to actually get my pushes from people that actually KNOW me and my situation instead of from someone off of tv that gives out these ridiculous (to me) statements like don't buy a new car without 1 million dollars.

Again just me.
Depending on how you prioritize things as well as how you look at risk, it isn’t that ridiculous to many. Most people no longer have pensions to help fund retirements and social security is unlikely to cover all the needs we will have. As such, retirement savings is important for a large percentage of people. The traditional SWR (safe withdrawal rate) has been 4%. That percentage can be debated one way or the other, but if we apply that percentage to $1 million, that comes to $40k a year, which is a modest amount of many for many.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:14 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Quote:
. This week I am running every evening to see one dog currently being held out of state. kly?
Wut?

Old 08-23-2018, 04:18 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You're either going to pay the tows, repairs, and maintenance it takes to drive a used cash car until the wheels fall off or you're going to pay the car note and depreciation of a new car.

You're going to pay big bucks either way.

The key is to get a lightly used car that already has a warranty (perhaps certified pre-owned), one that you can pay off within 3-4 years. Now it's not too old to break down every 3 months, the depreciation is largely ate by the previous owner, and you don't have some long term loan to worry about.

The solution is not always black or white, sometimes it's gray.
All these people making up BS about used cars....

In the last year I put 20,000+ miles on my 2006 Ford Ranger.
Other than oil, filter etc.

I spent <$100 on replacing the thermostat that I didn't feel like doing myself!

That's it and FAR more the norm that the fiction I quoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance