Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 01:17 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it just seems really strange to me to make additional payments on the card like that. what are you accomplishing by doing it that way?
It could help the (User) with cash flow, if they tend to send it as they get it, paying twice a month get it paid where one a month they did not save the cash to pay it then.

Also it help with the available credit line, If you pay off some of it your available credit goes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 03:23 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
And yet people say you need to pay the balance when u get the statement, not before..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Why would anyone say that?
The balance on the day the statement closes is generally the number that the card company reports to the credit bureaus. If it's always zero, it looks to the credit agencies as if you're not using the card. So the ideal is to pay the card after the monthly statement closes, but early enough before the due date that you're not risking a late fee. If you've run up more than 20% of the available credit on the card, then it's best to pay enough of that off before the statement closes to get the figure down below 20%, but leave the rest to be reported when that statement closes (again, paying it off after the statement closes but before the due date).

There's often an interval of three weeks or so between when the monthly statement closes and the statement due date, so getting the payment in on time isn't tough (especially if you use electronic bill pay). You can either set up autopay to do it, or just get into the habit of paying the card off at the same time every month (which is what I do).

Old 05-15-2018, 06:08 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,839,150 times
I find it easiest to just pay if off after each paycheck. I pay them off in full and forget about it until the next paycheck.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it just seems really strange to me to make additional payments on the card like that. what are you accomplishing by doing it that way?
I use it for EVERYTHING including bills like electricity. Anything that doesn't charge a fee, like my mortgage and HOA dues. I don't want the balance to be high all the time, so paying twice a month ensures that.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The balance on the day the statement closes is generally the number that the card company reports to the credit bureaus. If it's always zero, it looks to the credit agencies as if you're not using the card. So the ideal is to pay the card after the monthly statement closes, but early enough before the due date that you're not risking a late fee. If you've run up more than 20% of the available credit on the card, then it's best to pay enough of that off before the statement closes to get the figure down below 20%, but leave the rest to be reported when that statement closes (again, paying it off after the statement closes but before the due date).

There's often an interval of three weeks or so between when the monthly statement closes and the statement due date, so getting the payment in on time isn't tough (especially if you use electronic bill pay). You can either set up autopay to do it, or just get into the habit of paying the card off at the same time every month (which is what I do).
It doesn't matter. It doesn't help your score to have a balance. I do pay attention to what day it reports, and make sure that it will be 0-10% on that day.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:42 PM

I just looked at one of my cards. The statement date is the 15th. They report on the 16th. Payment due date is the 12th. In that case, electronically paying on or a couple days before the due date will work out the way I want: showing a 0 balance or one well below 10%. I'm glad the convo led here so that now I know that one is easy.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I used mobile banking and as soon as I make a charge I can almost immediately pay it off my transferring the funds over from my checking account. But is this the best approach to take? Does it effect your credit/rewards when way or another to not do this and instead wait until whenever the bill is due?

I think I know the answer, but would rather be safe
I just pay it when the bill is due. In full

Old 05-15-2018, 09:13 PM

268 posts, read 216,436 times
Depends on the utilization ratio if its a big purchase for me. If its over 10% I pay down immediately. Smaller purchases I pay right after my statement date of the multiple CC I have.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I use it for EVERYTHING including bills like electricity. Anything that doesn't charge a fee, like my mortgage and HOA dues. I don't want the balance to be high all the time, so paying twice a month ensures that.
why dont you want the balance to be "high"? if you are just using it for monthly spend and then paying off the full balance; how is the full monthly balance going to hurt you?

if you want to keep your utilization % down, it may be easier to request in increase in credit line. i have done that to help maintain a low utilization. i also put every expense i possibly can on my credit card (without incurring a fee).

i was never a fan of putting things on automatic payment but i have decided to do that now to keep things easy for me. so the full payment gets paid each month on its own. easy peasy.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:38 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

This!

The bank kept telling me to wait, but i didnt listen and for 2 years it never helped or hurt, till i close the account. So thats 2 years of my credit that i lost and hurt. Its stupid that they do that, but like always, its a game for them. Card always showed zero balance..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance