Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 05:52 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,182 times

Advertisements

LOL some times I think I come off sounding very "sanctimonious" when giving my opinion. I know just a few weeks ago I think I said something to the fact of how I can't understand how someone overdraws their accounts in today's electronic world..... cue the "karma" music. lol

So my youngest niece is heading off to college this fall, of course she's my favorite because she's going to my alma mater. She works part time and when I asked her what she wanted for a graduation gift she said she was saving up to purchase a particular bag she's been eyeing for a few months.

I told her if she saved half the price, I would kick in the rest. Well Tuesday she called and said she and her BFF's were going to the mall and she had her half of the cost. I told her to stop by the house and I gave her my debit card.

She's a great kid, did exactly like she said, unfortunately she returned my card on Wednesday as I was rushing out the house. stuck the card in my back pocket, forgot to make note of what she spent and went on my merry way, used the card for a few other things.......

LOL got a nice little email this morning saying my old friend "insufficient" funds came to visit.

I called the bank and they gave me a freebie, the moral of the story. I guess even us "old dogs" need to watch what we say and do.

Congratulations Jazzy, You're going to soar!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 09:19 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
To my knowledge I've never had "insufficient" funds alert and certainly nothing like 1/2 the expense of a handbag has given me one...

Old 07-28-2018, 09:49 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Why are you using a debit card?

Old 07-28-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
To my knowledge I've never had "insufficient" funds alert and certainly nothing like 1/2 the expense of a handbag has given me one...
lol, wow so that's what I sounded like.

Than I'm doubly glad this snafu happened, now I know.

I was simply laughing at myself for a stupid mistake. Relax I won't taint your perfection

I was simply laughing at myself for being absentminded.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 07-28-2018 at 10:17 AM..

Old 07-28-2018, 09:52 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,641,186 times
Yikes I get nervous whenever the personal checking I use for purchases / credit cards is below $10K. Then transfer in from the main holding account. I don’t pay enough attention to it to want it below that level because credit cards could autopay it too low.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yikes I get nervous whenever the personal checking I use for purchases / credit cards is below $10K. Then transfer in from the main holding account. I don’t pay enough attention to it to want it below that level because credit cards could autopay it too low.
This actually isn't my main checking account. It's a smaller account at a local bank because my credit union doesn't have a Branch near me. I throw a couple hundred every pay to run around town.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Why are you using a debit card?
I don't use credit cards. I only have one I use for travelling expenses.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:22 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
Quote:
I called the bank and they gave me a freebie, the moral of the story. I guess even us "old dogs" need to watch what we say and do.
Or keep enough in the account that no matter what, you won't come close to over-drawing on it.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:47 PM

363 posts, read 350,420 times
my bank offered me overdraft protection, but I told them to just deny any debit card transactions if there is not enough money in the account.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:15 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I don't use credit cards. I only have one I use for travelling expenses.
So the question again is why? It really makes no sense. I don’t use my debit card for anything other than atm withdraws so chances of compromise are limited and the situation you had in the op wouldn’t have happened
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance