Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:00 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach1947 View Post
Funny, scary all at the same time! Hope this has all been sorted out soon! (Just curious - what was the actual value of the bag?)

This also provides a valuable lesson for all of us in general - to not be too generous and nice to others - with money. Unfortunately, many times, the 'others' list includes family :-)
It was an oversight. She could afford the gift, just not from that account on that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 05:17 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach1947 View Post
Funny, scary all at the same time! Hope this has all been sorted out soon! (Just curious - what was the actual value of the bag?)

This also provides a valuable lesson for all of us in general - to not be too generous and nice to others - with money. Unfortunately, many times, the 'others' list includes family :-)
thanks, Actually this was all on me.
I was pretty proud of my niece. She worked p/t, was on the field hockey team, got a few scholarships. She set a goal for this bag ($500 coach back pack), saved for it while also saving for her upcoming college expenses.
She is definitely not outrageous. I just really like that she set a goal for some thing she wanted as a treat.
She definitely does not have a closet full of designer bags. I would have spentr a couple of hundred bucks on graduation and college trunk gifts anyhoo

Old 07-31-2018, 05:19 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It was an oversight. She could afford the gift, just not from that account on that day.

Exactly, this is an account that I have from a local bank. I just keep a few hundred bucks in it because my credit union from my job is not near my house and I hate paying fees for using atm. lol ironic ain't it

Thanks Gerania

Old 07-31-2018, 04:14 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,937 times
Sounds kinky...

Old 08-01-2018, 08:43 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
So the question again is why? It really makes no sense. I don’t use my debit card for anything other than atm withdraws so chances of compromise are limited and the situation you had in the op wouldn’t have happened
The odd grocery store or gas station in my area will sometimes have issues with machines not working. I use cash, credit, and debit to pay for things as needed. I am surprised you never have this issue.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The odd grocery store or gas station in my area will sometimes have issues with machines not working. I use cash, credit, and debit to pay for things as needed. I am surprised you never have this issue.
Similarly, I was just in Germany a couple days ago and I needed to buy S-bahn tickets. I tried using my CC, but it wanted a pin number.. the only card with me that I knew the pin was to my debit. Saved me the hassle of going to get extra cash out.

I rarely ever use my debit card, but I'm glad to have it with me.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:53 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,131,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
To my knowledge I've never had "insufficient" funds alert and certainly nothing like 1/2 the expense of a handbag has given me one...
I have, I zero it out every month.

But when it happens (when I'm running around and loose track) I pay with cash and pull out my phone and transfer money in from my savings account.

No biggie.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Of course this is true. But most of the ways involve buying things, or paying rent or mortgage. The fastest way to a credit score is your credit card.
Don't need a credit score. Have this thing called "money".

...perhaps you've heard of it?

Old 08-02-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Today it's less about credit history and more about fraud prevention that I would recommend using your debit card as little as possible.

As the C-D resident bank industry veteran (from what I've gathered in this forum), I know that tons of people use their debit card on a daily basis for many reasons - but the primary one is because they don't trust themselves.

That's all well and good, but the risk you take when you pay with your actual money in your checking account (which is what a debit card accesses) is if any of these stores have a data breach and your card number is sold to someone who plans to use it and you don't diligently check your balance all the time - then you could be out a LOT of money for a long period of time.

Fraud on a credit card is as simple as the company sending you a new card and the fraud claim gets reviewed while you go on about your business. The claim comes back as fraud and the bank takes care of it and that's it.

Fraud on a debit card when there's a claim attached can freeze your checking account for WEEKS or longer. So, the money you need to pay bills and your rent/mortgage can be withheld while the claim process is happening.

So, forget the building credit option and get a credit card to keep your actual checking account from being frozen due to something you didn't do.

Of course, all banks have their own policies on debit fraud claims and it's important that you review your bank's policy with a banker at some point, but this is the general consensus.
For the 10,000th time:
Visa and MC debut cards offer the EXACT SAME protections as Debit cards. (Check their websites)

There has been ONE TIME it took longer than 24 hours to refund me. ...
Just use a different card like you would with your CC.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:42 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
For the 10,000th time:
Visa and MC debut cards offer the EXACT SAME protections as Debit cards. (Check their websites)

There has been ONE TIME it took longer than 24 hours to refund me. ...
Just use a different card like you would with your CC.
Yes that's true.

Unfortunately your other bills like your mortgage holder or landlord don't care if you will get refunded. They want their money now. Same goes for your water bill, car payment, insurance, etc. Plus all the fees for NSF aren't refunded by the individual companies.

It's a huge cluster to undo a bunch of bounced transactions. Why even worry about the headache? I mean really? I don't understand why people like making their lives harder than needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance