Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 12:54 PM

940 posts, read 969,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I was actually planning on buying a home with cash 100% down. I should have 200k by next year and that buys a good home in Indianapolis, IN. Then my only expenses will be utilities, property taxes, food, entertainment, and home repairs. Work pays for most of my gas and phone.
With low mortgage rates and small mortgages why not just put 20% down, get a 10 or 15 year mortgage, and invest the rest? You will come out ahead.

Take your yearly expenses and multiply by 25. That is how much you need to save to become financially independent.

However, here's the rub. Healthcare is amazingly expensive, and only going to go up. It's quite possible you will need to continue working just for the healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 12:57 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
It doesn't seem like you're actually here to get financial advice, but if you were, most would tell you that's a poor use of your money.
i can't figure out why he even posted . he knows more than anyone here and has an answer for everything .

Old 08-10-2018, 01:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
It doesn't seem like you're actually here to get financial advice, but if you were, most would tell you that's a poor use of your money.
it sounds to me like he wants to be a dave ramsey style person with no debt and lots of cash and keep things simple. he wont be maximizing net worth but as long as he continues to do what he has been doing, he should be fine.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:09 PM

654 posts, read 424,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
With low mortgage rates and small mortgages why not just put 20% down, get a 10 or 15 year mortgage, and invest the rest? You will come out ahead.

The OP doesn't strike me as the investor type, he refereed to the market as a ponzi scheme so I doubt he want's to go that route. Most people like that (Ramsey Crowd) assume debt is evil so he probably wouldn't understand the lost opportunity cost.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:16 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Oh...and you're THAT hot:
https://dqydj.com/net-worth-by-age-c...united-states/
A household led by a 35-39 year old with a net worth of $150,000.00 was in net worth centile 74% in 2016. This centile ranged from $149,538.40 to $156,759.18. Around 2,645,110 of the 10,173,501 households in this age range had $149,538.40 or more in net worth.

Who knows what your actual net worth is but since you say you have no debt and no house either, sounds like the $150k is all your assets...otherwise you'd have told us, right? So we're talking 74th percentile not 99th but who's counting (except for you, of course).
That was per household. AKA more than one person. Go to different sites and get different results for single males. My NET WORTH is closer to 200k. My percentile isn't as high as I assumed, but I'm sure the top 1% skewed it quite a bit.

https://wallethacks.com/average-net-...age-americans/

What is the average net worth of a 35 year-old?
The average 35 year-old has a net worth of $6,900. This includes home equity. The average net worth of the average 35 year-old without home equity is $4,138.

What is the average net worth of 35-44 year-olds?
The average person aged 35-44 years old has a net worth of $45,740, including their home equity. Without home equity, the average net worth for this age range is $18,197.

https://www.creditdonkey.com/average...th-by-age.html

Old 08-10-2018, 01:48 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
That was per household. AKA more than one person. Go to different sites and get different results for single males. My NET WORTH is closer to 200k. My percentile isn't as high as I assumed, but I'm sure the top 1% skewed it quite a bit.

https://wallethacks.com/average-net-...age-americans/

What is the average net worth of a 35 year-old?
The average 35 year-old has a net worth of $6,900. This includes home equity. The average net worth of the average 35 year-old without home equity is $4,138.

What is the average net worth of 35-44 year-olds?
The average person aged 35-44 years old has a net worth of $45,740, including their home equity. Without home equity, the average net worth for this age range is $18,197.

https://www.creditdonkey.com/average...th-by-age.html
Ohhhhhh but your question wasn't about what was average! And now the big reveal - glad I could get your net worth out of you - what assets are you claiming? ...usually depreciating assets like cars and such aren't included.

And it is your choice not to own a home - can't figure out if you think it's for suckers or not...guess we're all learning as we go.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:52 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
OP, congratulations for saving that amount. Good for you in a spend-happy society.

However it's super easy to save when living a Spartan life. Not saying that's you but when I read posts by people who lack lives and the majority of time is spent staying home it's not that hard to accumulate money. Depriving oneself of food, clothes, travel, relationships, hobbies, social contact is not worth it IMO.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Ohhhhhh but your question wasn't about what was average! And now the big reveal - glad I could get your net worth out of you - what assets are you claiming? ...usually depreciating assets like cars and such aren't included.

And it is your choice not to own a home - can't figure out if you think it's for suckers or not...guess we're all learning as we go.
why not? honestly, if i was just coming up with a ball park number i may leave that out but if i wanted to be really accurate i would leave the value of my cars in. my net worth fluctuates, the fact that some assets are reducing in value over time doesnt change the fact that they are worth something today.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:04 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
net worth is looked at various ways depending why we are taking the snap shot . here we usually talk in terms of liquid INVESTED assets and home .

if it is to feel good , then what the heck count everything with a number on it . but realize you won't be comparing apples to apples in that discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 02:11 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
net worth is looked at various ways depending why we are taking the snap shot . here we usually talk in terms of liquid INVESTED assets and home .

if it is to feel good , then what the heck count everything with a number on it . but realize you won't be comparing apples to apples in that discussion
Would you count company pension in your net worth if you are still working? Still got 20 years of work to go and if my current value is XXXXXX should I include it in my net worth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance