Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2018, 03:23 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,767 times

Advertisements

Long story short, my GF filed chapter 7 prior to our relationship. After some time had passed I convinced her to open a secured credit card and take out a secured loan from her credit union to rebuild her credit. I thought this would be a long battle back to having a decent credit score since I've always heard how BK ruins your credit. 3 months after opening the accounts her credit score shot up 100 points to the 670's.

My question is , and this is hypothetical: if two equal people with a 670 score applied for say a car loan; one with a BK and one without, does the dealership care? Or do they just look at the score. It sort of amazes me that you can recover so fast to a very reasonable score. I know certain CC companies flat out reject people with BK's so that's another thing.

After seeing this I found a thread about how most people can get to a 700+ score within 12-24 months of filing.

Almost makes me want to take out 100,000 in unsecured debt and be right back where I am a year later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 03:28 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
it is likely going to be score based but it depends what fico score is used . there are 55 of them and all are weighted differently . different lenders use different weighted scores. your consumer score is not the same most lenders see .

Old 08-25-2018, 10:25 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,576,900 times
I had to,file a bk and my credit score did not come back that quickly. It didn't reach the high 600s until 6 years after I filed. For home loans the bk was pretty much a non starter.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:11 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
Long story short, my GF filed chapter 7 prior to our relationship. After some time had passed I convinced her to open a secured credit card and take out a secured loan from her credit union to rebuild her credit. I thought this would be a long battle back to having a decent credit score since I've always heard how BK ruins your credit. 3 months after opening the accounts her credit score shot up 100 points to the 670's.
Its not unusual for it to rise after the BK...after all the debt-to-income ratio radically changes...Of course, some of it depends on how hard you work to raise the score post-bk.

Quote:
My question is , and this is hypothetical: if two equal people with a 670 score applied for say a car loan; one with a BK and one without, does the dealership care? Or do they just look at the score.
They don't just look at the score, but the BK in and of itself may or may not be the only factor. Remember, the car itself, loan to value ratio (amount of trade or cash equity), etc, is a big factor as well.

I think that if a 23 year old with one credit card and a short history came in and applied with a 670, she might have an easier time or be granted more generous terms than someone with a recent BK.

I've seen people with 780 scores denied because the bank thought they had too much CC debt, even though they were immaculate paying for it.

Quote:
It sort of amazes me that you can recover so fast to a very reasonable score. I know certain CC companies flat out reject people with BK's so that's another thing.

After seeing this I found a thread about how most people can get to a 700+ score within 12-24 months of filing.

Almost makes me want to take out 100,000 in unsecured debt and be right back where I am a year later
They can, but its a hassle, the equivalent of working a lot of cash jobs to avoid paying taxes and child support...

And anyway, while you can eat out and travel a lot, most things you buy you'll have to sell.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:59 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
It might be that you can not go bankrupt again for a number of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance