Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 05:58 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm tired of your baseless claims that these people are frauds.
I've noticed some of your responses to some of my comments seem to contain some hostility, and not just in this thread. If you disagree with me that's fine.

I honesty do not want young couples who are making a great living to pack up their bags and head off to retirement too soon because others have done it. It seems to me such a waste of career and money to leave in your peak earning years. I rather see people work till 40 and then bugger off if they wish to. More money to put in their investment fund is worth the sacrifice to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 07:12 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You’re right I do have what’s important to me, but it’s always interesting to see the answers to what I’m missing out on.
we're not saying you are "missing" out. you have the stuff "you" need. so it works for you. again I've visited Gastonia (never lived) it was dull as dishwater but again I'm a NYC girl.

It reminded me of a suburbs with highways and small houses. again I was only visiting which is much different than living some where and I was actually visiting Bowling Green.

You are missing the point. living off of 30K a year works well for you. I'd have to give up way too much in quality of life issues.

lol, my youngest college tuition at temple university was 22K a year alone. and yes he could have gone to community college and worked 2 jobs to pay for it. the point being IMO that is not something I wanted so my choice was to work and I don't encourage my sons to live like that either.

I for one am not saying you are missing anything, I've said before from the video of Mr moustache and a few of his blog entries, I'd rather work.

I have absolutely no desire to live in a "low cost of living area" although I love Charleston SC and the other small city I would consider is San Diego which is probably as expensive as Philly.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:58 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
If you search the house he posted 1815 Garland ave, you can look at the crime report/map. Crime all around over 700 thefts, over 300 assaults including forcible rape, and close to 400 arrests. This is all within a mile or two of said home. Come on, the HS has a rating of 2..
So yea, you can live on the cheap out there, but you really have to know what you are getting into. Dont get me wrong, I am all into frugal living, no mortgage, etc, so I can enjoy other activities besides taking care of a "large" nice home. I al so do not want to live in a questionable area.
Thats one house out of thousands. If you’re afraid of the city - why not move to a little city outside of Gastonia? There are plenty. Mt Holly, Lowell, Dallas, Bessemer City, Kings Mtn, Dallas, etc. Just like any suburb of a large city like Charlotte, you can have a good street and you can have a bad street a few miles away. Those living in a large metro probably already know this. But to throw an entire city out? LOL.

Does this person feel scared of Gastonia:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../5872354_zpid/

Or

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../5878204_zpid/

Or

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...66884734_zpid/

Or

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...70494417_zpid/

Or

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9.../5874477_zpid/

Plenty of homes like this...do you think those people feel unsafe in the city their $500k+ home is located?

I bet I could find something for $100k within a mile or two of those homes.

How about a little $85k home in Cramerton: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...70501197_zpid/

Is that little town a few miles from Gastonia unsafe too?

Last edited by Yac; 11-24-2020 at 01:48 AM..

Old 10-29-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
we're not saying you are "missing" out. you have the stuff "you" need. so it works for you. again I've visited Gastonia (never lived) it was dull as dishwater but again I'm a NYC girl.

It reminded me of a suburbs with highways and small houses. again I was only visiting which is much different than living some where and I was actually visiting Bowling Green.

You are missing the point. living off of 30K a year works well for you. I'd have to give up way too much in quality of life issues.

lol, my youngest college tuition at temple university was 22K a year alone. and yes he could have gone to community college and worked 2 jobs to pay for it. the point being IMO that is not something I wanted so my choice was to work and I don't encourage my sons to live like that either.

I for one am not saying you are missing anything, I've said before from the video of Mr moustache and a few of his blog entries, I'd rather work.

I have absolutely no desire to live in a "low cost of living area" although I love Charleston SC and the other small city I would consider is San Diego which is probably as expensive as Philly.
Gastonia is simply a suburb of Charlotte. It’s not really meant to wow anyone. If a city like Charlotte doesn’t have what you need...well, I’d say you’re a needy person and this whole retiring early thing might not work even if you wanted it to.

How much do you spend per year on stuff you can’t give up? My income is around $20k and I spend $10k. I could do a lot of entertainment stuff with the $10k I have left over.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I've noticed some of your responses to some of my comments seem to contain some hostility, and not just in this thread. If you disagree with me that's fine.

I honesty do not want young couples who are making a great living to pack up their bags and head off to retirement too soon because others have done it. It seems to me such a waste of career and money to leave in your peak earning years. I rather see people work till 40 and then bugger off if they wish to. More money to put in their investment fund is worth the sacrifice to me.
It all comes down to what you want. Living on $30k is a lot better than dreading work everyday while missing out on tons of time with family.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:58 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Well, um, yeah. I don't like it when people just say stuff without backing it up. Many of these folks you call frauds post their finances right on their blogs. I think making such accusations is hostile. You shouldn't expect such accusations to go unchallenged.

Quote:
Ok, well those are your personal opinions. In any given situation, I might agree or disagree with you. But I think it's a bit too difficult to make such a broad statement without knowing specific details.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Now this is funny. "Retiring" in your 30's because you have become proficient at living like a miserly scrooge, and denying yourself a good life with some comforts does not sound like retiring at all; more like being content with a meager existence.

No thanks.
Statements like this are usually loaded with inaccurate, skewed, or false assumptions. The parts that may be true are a question of values. Not everyone values the things that have become "standard" in modern society. The things you see as amenities, others see as detracting from quality of life. Or, at the very least, they see the time/energy they have to spend to get those amenities as not worth the effort (basically what JonathanLB said upthread).

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-29-2018 at 09:19 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Me too. I live in Denver, and haven't had to commute for at least the last four years. A recent trip to Seattle reaffirmed for myself what you just said. It took 90 minutes for me to drive ~ 9 miles up there the other day.

There is NO scenario where I would put myself through that daily for any amount of money.
Yeah, it's been 10 years since I've had to commute and I just never, ever, want to do it again.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I would consider is San Diego which is probably as expensive as Philly.
Oh trust me, San Diego is MUCH more expensive than Philly, especially the housing.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:24 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Statements like this are usually loaded with inaccurate, skewed, or false assumptions. The parts that may be true are a question of values. Not everyone values the things that have become "standard" in modern society. The things you see as amenities, others see as detracting from quality of life. Or, at the very least, they see the time/energy they have to spend to get those amenities as not worth the effort (basically what JonathanLB said upthread).
Exactly. It’s all a question of what you value the most. I’m a bit boring myself - my GF is not like this - and I defy the younger stereotype. I just don’t enjoy traveling if I’m honest. I know that makes me a monster but there’s really not much I care less about than traveling. I like my own bed, my own home, my comforts and my diet and exercise routine, and in general when I travel whatever I may “see” is not that great. It’s overrated to me. I learned more about Rome watching documentaries and reading Wikipedia than when I visited there myself. *shrug* Just not a big priority to me. In other areas my tastes are expensive. I like watching every new blockbuster only in IMAX and won’t bother going at all unless I’m getting that sound and picture quality. It’s not a big deal to me to spend $40/month on 2 IMAX movies though really. Sure doesn’t compare to, say, buying new luxury cars or trips or whatever.

I have other “amenities” I consider 100% essential to living any quality of life, and they relate to sleep and personal comfort. That’s a perfectly temperature controlled home and a quiet, dark room to sleep. That’s a health thing honestly, not a luxury to me. Other people seem to be able to pass out in a hot light noisy room, good for them I say, they’re lucky. For me, doesn’t cut it.

So we all have our standards and there are certain things that to me constitute the good life and I wouldn’t give up no matter what even if I had to work harder to make them happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance