Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:59 PM

356 posts, read 281,797 times

Advertisements

I had this happen to me once with my ex husband. It was a credit union and one day I went online and could see all of his account information and I'm sure he could see mine. I probably could have cleaned him out if I were a vengeful person. I called the credit union and explained that while he transferred child support directly into my account, we were not connected. They said we could no longer transfer the money that way if we didn't want our accounts joined, but they separated our accounts that day and we never had another issue.

I would think this would be a quick, easy fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 06:17 PM

38 posts, read 40,966 times
Sorry, I've been really busy the past few weeks. Currently, my attorney is recommending to take the bank's offer and settle out of court. I will probably be able to win more in court, but the settlement will almost pay off all of my house mortgage and it is much quicker. I'm not at liberty to say more at this time.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:18 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Precisely. There's no lawsuit here and if he does sue the bank, the bank has lawyers on staff that will just keep running up the legal bills and keep the clock running until the OP cries "Uncle".
Apparently that's not so. Did you see the OP's latest post?

My questions are:
-- Did the OP's brother intentionally co-opt the brother's identity? If so, is the OP going to make sure the brother is charged? He's so intent on the bank being at fault. If the brother is a criminal, he should get his comeuppance also.
-- How exactly did the accounts get "merged?"

Old 12-31-2018, 04:42 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
personally without really knowing this settlement is true i am skeptical and don't believe it .

Old 12-31-2018, 06:57 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
personally without really knowing this settlement is true i am skeptical and don't believe it .
Yes, there is obviously a lot about this situation that hasn't been revealed. There is no legal case to be made unless the plaintiff has been damaged. Merely merging the accounts hasn't harmed him. I can't imagine a lawyer taking this case, or BofA offering a settlement, given what's been presented.

That said, I wouldn't give BofA any of my money to manage anyway. Not surprised they screwed up.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:11 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

I'm not buying it. Can't see the bank offering anything more than a $50 credit or a free book of checks. OP never mentioned any actual harm done or money lost.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:15 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
yep , that is my opinion .... i don't believe this to be true .

Old 12-31-2018, 09:44 AM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm not buying it. Can't see the bank offering anything more than a $50 credit or a free book of checks. OP never mentioned any actual harm done or money lost.
Yeah. Somehow not realistic.
First of all, banks usually take longer time to investigate problems. Since this is not a local bank, it probably would be few months to reach a settlement.
Second - to offer such settlement there probably needed to be a bigger breach, more accounts merged, some serious money mishandling.
Merging his account with his brother could be just a simple human error or even a computer glitch - same name, perhaps other similarities.
There is also possibility that maybe at some point those two had banking together - co-signed for a loan, transferred money from one account to another etc.
Surely, this bank mistake shouldn't ever happen, but it looks like there is more to it, or OP just felt like writing some fun story...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance