Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
FFS, no one has suggested anything of the kind. Just a few posts ago you agreed that it makes sense provided you were going to spend the money anyway, now suddenly you are railing against phantom claims. Let me guess, a DR devotee.
It's tough to reason with the financially illiterate. They refuse to see the other side where people are making thousands for hardly doing any work at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 07:39 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The only caution I'd have on it.. At times, having so many cards can be overwhelming and the confusion about which card you've put things on or which one you should use can be too much.

You'd hate to have a situation where you put a small charge on a seldom used card, slips your mind, and then you get hit with a late fee or something like that.

If you feel you have the ability to keep track of everything without driving yourself batty.. You seem to be responsible with your spending, so.. I don't see an issue from that side of things.
I did have that happen once. I opened a Kohl's card (against my better judgement) to get the extra 15% off. They also send you lots of coupons and discount offers. Well, I made a purchase, forgot and got hit with a $25 late fee plus 24.99% interest on my $84 purchase.

I pretty much avoid all store cards now but if I do open a new line of credit, the first thing I do is go in and set up automatic payments so that never happens again. Given that I am usually responsible about things like that I kicked myself for quite awhile over that one!

Old 01-03-2019, 08:25 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The only caution I'd have on it.. At times, having so many cards can be overwhelming and the confusion about which card you've put things on or which one you should use can be too much.

You'd hate to have a situation where you put a small charge on a seldom used card, slips your mind, and then you get hit with a late fee or something like that.

If you feel you have the ability to keep track of everything without driving yourself batty.. You seem to be responsible with your spending, so.. I don't see an issue from that side of things.

I think the hardest part is getting my wife to stay on board and use the correct card

Sapphire reserved for food and travel

Citi Costco for gas

Freedom unlimited for everything else

That’s the basic plan but she says it’s too confusing. I also have the Amex plat, southwest premier and southwest premier business but they really aren’t for daily use

Old 01-03-2019, 11:58 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
FFS, no one has suggested anything of the kind. Just a few posts ago you agreed that it makes sense provided you were going to spend the money anyway, now suddenly you are railing against phantom claims. Let me guess, a DR devotee.

No I'm not a DR devotee. I am an advocate of responsible individuals having credit cards for the right reasons.

The original poster asked why they should not take advantage of these offers (0% financing and cash back). I pointed out the reasons why. Nothing more, nothing less. I never said the original poster should avoid getting a credit card period. I was simply pointing out the downsides of 0% financing and cash back rewards. It is not a free ride. That's all.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:14 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's tough to reason with the financially illiterate. They refuse to see the other side where people are making thousands for hardly doing any work at all.

What is your credit score after doing this?

Old 01-03-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
What is your credit score after doing this?
It more than qualifies for top tier rates. Forget whatever you've read when it comes to those things when it comes to opening and closing accounts. I've found it simply untrue. And who cares if it was, a small 10 or 20 point drop temporarily isn't going to impact me in any way.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I did have that happen once. I opened a Kohl's card (against my better judgement) to get the extra 15% off. They also send you lots of coupons and discount offers. Well, I made a purchase, forgot and got hit with a $25 late fee plus 24.99% interest on my $84 purchase.

I pretty much avoid all store cards now but if I do open a new line of credit, the first thing I do is go in and set up automatic payments so that never happens again. Given that I am usually responsible about things like that I kicked myself for quite awhile over that one!
You opened a new credit card to save $12? Seriously?

Old 01-03-2019, 01:27 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I think the hardest part is getting my wife to stay on board and use the correct card

Sapphire reserved for food and travel

Citi Costco for gas

Freedom unlimited for everything else

That’s the basic plan but she says it’s too confusing. I also have the Amex plat, southwest premier and southwest premier business but they really aren’t for daily use

Freedom for gas next 3 months.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:43 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
No I'm not a DR devotee. I am an advocate of responsible individuals having credit cards for the right reasons.

The original poster asked why they should not take advantage of these offers (0% financing and cash back). I pointed out the reasons why. Nothing more, nothing less. I never said the original poster should avoid getting a credit card period. I was simply pointing out the downsides of 0% financing and cash back rewards. It is not a free ride. That's all.
Then why all the hyperbola? Can you point out where anyone said "spend all you possibly can and never pay your statement balance in full!", because I sure don't see that anywhere in this thread.

And you're wrong, cash back rewards on things you were going to buy anyway is tax-free money for nothing. I raked in over $500 in 2018, and I don't spend much. No one time bonuses in 2018 either. Mainly car insurance, utility bills, medical co-pays. Oh, and the cruise we are taking in a few days.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:48 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You opened a new credit card to save $12? Seriously?
LOL, no - it was on a different purchase but it wasn’t much more than that - maybe $150. I don’t know why it sounded like a good idea at the time, but I certainly learned a lesson. That and I won’t shop at Kohl’s anymore because they are so relentless about hounding you to open an account. One cashier mumbled to me that I should just say I already have one because they were required to push the card. At 24.99% interest, I can see why!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance