Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 10:27 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times

Advertisements

Yeah real estate is fantastic overall but absolutely can be loooong term. I have a substantial stake in a high rise apartment downtown but it hasn’t netted me a dime in 7 years, actually coming up on 8, and that will continue for the next 2-3 years making for almost a decade. It’s rather ridiculous but since the building is older, it needed elevators replaced, lobby redone, fire suppression systems added, rooftop patio / hangout area created, windows redone for energy efficiency, siding redone for looks, and now each individual unit as they become available are being remodeled with granite countertops and nice cabinets and flooring, etc. They have to keep up with the market downtown but it greatly increases the value of the building. Despite no cash flow for this time to me (the building makes money, which pays for the remodels), the building has at least doubled in value and outpaced the larger market substantially because of the rising rents, prime location, and renovation work.

Then finally at the end of this 10 year journey, it’ll start actually paying me again, something that last happened so long ago it’s hard to remember haha. Many real estate investments I’ve had are 3-7 year waits for profits or cash flow but they end up being great deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 12:16 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Assuming one is working for their living and the term "millionaire" is a code word for someone that works and saves and invests to grow their net worth:

My .02? The guy in a high COL area is less likely to feel "wealthy" than a guy in a low COL area. The reason isn't greed, or envy, but rather that he has less disposable income at the end of the day. I can say this as someone that grew up in a nice area with a lot of people that earned good money and would qualify as the 2% in terms of income, if not always net worth (though most of them were getting there with net worth.)

They spend money investing in their kids; they buy a house that often is rather modest, but in a good school district in a neighborhood that has a history of appreciation; that isn't cheap, and it often comes with high taxes. They save for their kid's college, hoping that they have the luxury of paying for an education at a private or out of state college if that's the best choice for their kid. They invest for retirement. When its all said and done, that family is unlikely to "feel like" they are inherently better off than 98% of the country.

Whereas the guy that owns four Car dealerships in Greenville, North Carolina has a different reality. He can buy one heck of a nice house at $100/sf. His property taxes are 1%. The boat and vacation property are much more achievable.

What everyone seems to miss is that its a lot harder to get have that kind of income in Greenville, NC. And, if you've spent your life in a higher COL area, you most often like the things that come in a higher COL area. There's usually a lot more things that make it desirable.

Some areas are expensive with comparatively little value returned. But most aren't.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:06 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
It really depends on the ratio of income vs cost of living . I live in queens and we had a house in the poconos .. we could save about a third of our costs living in pa . But salary’s for what I do we’re half..

High cost of living areas are usually high cost because they have an abundance of high paying jobs ... if you have a good job you may very well be in better shape.

You really have to look at individual situations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance