Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You don’t understand cross collateralization if you think it’s anything like two accounts being linked
I understand what it means but conceptually, in the real world, is it that different than a set-off? IE, I have money in the bank to pay my mortgage and they zero it out for a boat loan that's in default.

What I'm getting at is that in the grand scheme of the slings and arrows one suffers when in a really tight financial spot, this one is simply an also-ran, and I don't see it as any more insidious than a lot of things that catch people by surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 03:13 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I understand what it means but conceptually, in the real world, is it that different than a set-off? IE, I have money in the bank to pay my mortgage and they zero it out for a boat loan that's in default.

What I'm getting at is that in the grand scheme of the slings and arrows one suffers when in a really tight financial spot, this one is simply an also-ran, and I don't see it as any more insidious than a lot of things that catch people by surprise.
What bank zeros out your checking account for a boat default?

Old 01-15-2019, 04:54 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
I'm not talking about "linked accounts." The bank I worked for would take money from other cash accounts to pay overdue mortgages and credit cards, on a generalized, fine-print, cross-asset basis. Not because the customer had set it up that way, or allowed it to be set up.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:00 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What bank zeros out your checking account for a boat default?
Most of them will/can. It’s called a set-off. https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...k-setoffs.html
I know a guy that \almost got evicted for it. He went into default on a loan for a snowmobile, the bank took it out of his account and consequently he bounced the rent check.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:28 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
I actually attempt to understand what I am agreeing to when I open an account or take out a loan but it seems most places are not exactly transparent in disclosing the real practices.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Most of them will/can. It’s called a set-off. https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...k-setoffs.html
I know a guy that \almost got evicted for it. He went into default on a loan for a snowmobile, the bank took it out of his account and consequently he bounced the rent check.
So having an account with assets at the same firm carrying your loan, ie offset could occur at a bank or Cu. What wouldn’t occur at a bank is repo’ing your car if you defaulted on a credit card, personal loan. So it’s not the same or similar

Old 01-15-2019, 11:35 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
So my credit union pops me with a little $6 charge...

...for NOT using the Bill-Pay feature.

I shudder to think of the avalanche of fees for all the dozens of other services I'm not using.
Find a better credit union. There's plenty out there that are highly rated.

I'm with Alliant. They do not charge fees for literally anything.... No monthly requirements/minimums you must do.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:35 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Find a better credit union. There's plenty out there that are highly rated.
Mine is the most highly rated in the area, and this is the first fee I've paid on anything in almost two years. I don't mind the occasional fee that actually represents some service value. It's this one - being charged because I did not use the adjunct service - that boggles me. I opted out of the service; all done.

I had two successive overdrafts on my business account from a bizarre chain of old online subscriptions hitting PayPal, which had been switched to this account, and failing to charge the credit card (which would have been easier to straighten out)... but when all was said and done they reversed the bounce charges with a smile.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlong2315 View Post
At wells fargo you can't remove more than 300 a day at a ATM.
Not so; you can request a higher daily limit. Mine is $400.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
mine is 800 at chase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance