Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 08:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It was in Beach haven? I remember that your mom was upset about Sandy.

Do you drink beer? My son brought a 4 pack of LBIPA to my house this weekend. Not bad. It's brewed in Bergen County.
it was in holgate. we are doing a week rental each summer now to compensate for the loss of the house.

is that weird that LBIPA is brewed in bergen county and not on LBI? i drink beer but not IPA. i just found the company's web site "New Jersey Beer Company" and i guess they make beers and name them after various NJ locations. craft beer is pretty popular these days so i have to try a lot and pretend that they are good. IPA is just so nasty that i generally refuse to drink any of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 11:35 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, i guess you take what you can get depending on whats available where you live. by me, i have the atlantic oean or maybe naveskink river as options.

for a while, we had a house on long beach island that was on a marina. i would like to experience the life of breakfast on my deck while looking out at the water again. now its only on vacations.

I can do that sitting at the mooring in the harbor. No FEMA flood insurance or giant property taxes.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I can do that sitting at the mooring in the harbor. No FEMA flood insurance or giant property taxes.
im willing to pay for the insurance and property taxes to enjoy a better experience.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:47 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im willing to pay for the insurance and property taxes to enjoy a better experience.

Yep. And that's kind of the point of this thread. If you're trying to optimize for wealth creation, you rent a small hovel, live the life of a miser, and invest the difference. Most people opt to do discretionary spending to improve their quality of life. Part of that is the housing you live in. Personally, I don't need to live in an oceanfront mansion to feel good about myself when I walk in the door but I couldn't live in that tiny rental hovel, either. I'd be miserable. I could certainly sell my house and rent but I wouldn't be able to rent the housing quality I'm used to in coastal suburbia. It's different in affluent urban places where there is high end rental stock but I'm in a place where people own what they live in and rentals tend to be neglected properties.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Yersonally, I don't need to live in an oceanfront mansion to feel good about myself when I walk in the door
well, i need an oceanfront mansion to feel good about myself. so hopefully the day will come when i own one.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:32 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times
Quote:
Yep. And that's kind of the point of this thread. If you're trying to optimize for wealth creation, you rent a small hovel, live the life of a miser, and invest the difference. Most people opt to do discretionary spending to improve their quality of life. Part of that is the housing you live in. Personally, I don't need to live in an oceanfront mansion to feel good about myself when I walk in the door but I couldn't live in that tiny rental hovel, either. I'd be miserable. I could certainly sell my house and rent but I wouldn't be able to rent the housing quality I'm used to in coastal suburbia. It's different in affluent urban places where there is high end rental stock but I'm in a place where people own what they live in and rentals tend to be neglected properties.
That’s a good point about neglected properties.

A few years back, I was under the illusion I’d be able to find a decent rental in rural New England. Wasn’t going to happen. When the dogs are gone and I can go yardless, I’ll have a lot more rental options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance