Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:07 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,795 times

Advertisements

I have a Roth IRA and my wife has a Traditional IRA. We are both covered by retirement plans by our employers. 2018 was the second consecutive year we could not deduct any portion of the Traditional IRA contributions due to being over the income limit. So the last two years our tax return has been tracking our IRA Basis, the total amount we have contributed to our Traditional IRA that is not deductible.

My questions is should we stop contributing to this Traditional IRA account and open a new Roth account? Or just continue to contribute to this account and track the Basis every year? We have no reason to believe we will ever be able to deduct any Traditional IRA contributions in the future. Essentially this Traditional IRA account will just become a Roth IRA account over the next 30 years correct? It will continue to grow with non-deductible contributions and the Basis portion of contributions that can be withdrawn tax free will grow to 95% or more of the total contributions.

Best I can tell, there is not really any harm in continuing to contribute to this account as the money can still be withdrawn tax free just like a Roth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 02:47 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,811,151 times
If you are within the income limits for a Roth, then that would likely be better. When you have an IRA with combined pre and post tax dollars the withdrawal and reporting process is more complicated. The growth of your after tax dollars will be only tax deferred, compared to a Roth where the growth of your contributions will not be taxed. Withdrawal of your contributions from a combined IRA will require you to calculate the amount that is to be taxed based on pre and post tax contributions and growth. The IRS has rules and forms for doing so that, so I suggest that you read them to make sure you want to go that route.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:47 PM

357 posts, read 225,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I have a Roth IRA and my wife has a Traditional IRA. We are both covered by retirement plans by our employers. 2018 was the second consecutive year we could not deduct any portion of the Traditional IRA contributions due to being over the income limit. So the last two years our tax return has been tracking our IRA Basis, the total amount we have contributed to our Traditional IRA that is not deductible.

My questions is should we stop contributing to this Traditional IRA account and open a new Roth account? Or just continue to contribute to this account and track the Basis every year? We have no reason to believe we will ever be able to deduct any Traditional IRA contributions in the future. Essentially this Traditional IRA account will just become a Roth IRA account over the next 30 years correct? It will continue to grow with non-deductible contributions and the Basis portion of contributions that can be withdrawn tax free will grow to 95% or more of the total contributions.

Best I can tell, there is not really any harm in continuing to contribute to this account as the money can still be withdrawn tax free just like a Roth.

Well, one difference that jumps out at me is that if you put money into a Roth, none of your later earnings/ distributions from that Roth will be taxed. If you put those funds into a traditional IRA instead, the earnings from your traditional IRA will be taxed upon withdrawal.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
Well, one difference that jumps out at me is that if you put money into a Roth, none of your later earnings/ distributions from that Roth will be taxed. If you put those funds into a traditional IRA instead, the earnings from your traditional IRA will be taxed upon withdrawal.
If that is the case we should definitely switch. So the Basis makes the contributions tax free in the traditional IRA but the earnings are still taxed even if they are from the Basis? I'm not 100% sure that is accurate.

From this website: https://finance.zacks.com/ira-basis-...tion-4078.html
Quote:
When you withdraw money from your traditional IRA as a distribution or by rolling it over into a Roth IRA, you can’t take out only your IRA basis. Instead, the percentage of your IRA balance that is your basis determines the percentage of the withdrawal that counts as basis dollars. For example, if 20 percent of the money in your IRA is considered IRA basis dollars, 20 percent of any withdrawal counts as basis money. This part of the withdrawal is not taxable. You only have to pay income taxes on the part that does not count as IRA basis.
So if after 30 years 95% of the money in the IRA is considered basis dollars than 95% of any withdrawal would be tax free. Wouldn't the withdrawal include both contributions and earnings?

What is our best option? Just roll it all over now into a Roth? We don't really want to keep two separate accounts.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:22 PM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
you are confused ... a traditional ira typically has you deducting the contribution up front and paying no taxes yet unless for some reason you are making non deductible contributions , which i doubt . all money is taxed instead when you draw it out .... every penny is taxed .,

the roth has you paying the taxes up front and nothing gets taxed later

Old 03-19-2019, 03:35 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,351,846 times
Do a back door ROTH for the IRA and contribute to the ROTH. You will probably have to do backdoor ROTH's when you income gets too high

Old 03-19-2019, 04:01 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
If that is the case we should definitely switch. So the Basis makes the contributions tax free in the traditional IRA but the earnings are still taxed even if they are from the Basis? I'm not 100% sure that is accurate.

So if after 30 years 95% of the money in the IRA is considered basis dollars than 95% of any withdrawal would be tax free. Wouldn't the withdrawal include both contributions and earnings?

What is our best option? Just roll it all over now into a Roth? We don't really want to keep two separate accounts.

Are you anticipating your ira to be made up 95% non deductible contributions? What about growth?

Old 03-19-2019, 05:10 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,811,151 times
Quote:

The earnings are taxed when you make withdrawals. You will calculate a ratio based on pre-tax and post-tax contributions (and change your basis of each). I used to do the paperwork for my dad, who had an IRA consisting of both pre and post tax contributions. I think it was form 8606. I think you can withdraw your post-tax contributions any time with no tax consequences. If you do, all future withdrawals of the earnings will be taxable.

That's why a Roth is better for someone in your situation, any earnings are not taxed.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Are you anticipating your ira to be made up 95% non deductible contributions? What about growth?
I see what you are you are saying. My 95% figure was with regards to just contributions and not the total balance of the account. But just going off of that website I quoted I would think the growth from the nondeductable IRA basis would be tax free.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:40 PM

Thanks in advance for everyone’s help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you are confused ... a traditional ira typically has you deducting the contribution up front and paying no taxes yet unless for some reason you are making non deductible contributions , which i doubt . all money is taxed instead when you draw it out .... every penny is taxed .,

the roth has you paying the taxes up front and nothing gets taxed later
I am confused indeed that’s why I am seeking the information and help.

I know the difference between a roth and traditional IRA as you broke it down. That was never my issue. My issue is this word “basis” and what exactly it means when we withdrawal the funds in retirement from this account that now has basis contributions.

And yes, we did indeed make non deductible contributions to our traditional IRA.

See the rules here from the IRS website for contributing to traditional IRA’s when covered by a retirement plan at work:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...t-plan-at-work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance