Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 08:23 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Those pension checks will leave a paper trail, like most any financial transaction. Refer him back to his lawyer, and let the lawyer recommend something.
If there's an actual judgment against him and an order to garnish his pension, that will go straight to the company paying the pension and he'll get a check with the garnishments already deducted. No choice.

I'm not even sure if other creditors (those without a judgment and garnishment order) can just access your checking account and raid it. Does anyone else know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 09:05 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,599 times
Better close your accounts ASAP just to be safe

Old 04-23-2019, 09:11 AM

54 posts, read 44,179 times
If you are successful in cashing the check for him, then obviously, cashing the check is not illegal

Banks have laws they abide by and will not break the law for you.

That is your answer

Now the reason he wants to cash it, those are his reasons so will not address that.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:17 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
If there's an actual judgment against him and an order to garnish his pension, that will go straight to the company paying the pension and he'll get a check with the garnishments already deducted. No choice.
There might be some special rules regarding garnishment of pensions (specifically pensions). I recall after OJ Simpson won the criminal case against him for murder, the family of Ronald Goldman sued for wrongful death and won. They were able to go after OJ Simpson's assets, but specifically could not collect against his NFL pension. My recollection was pension payments were specifically exempt by law from being garnished for civil judgments (an IRS judgment would be very different, of course).

I don't recall any of the particulars, and of course that was a long time ago so my recollection of the reasons might be flawed, but I'm pretty certain OJ's NFL pension was exempt.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:04 AM

6,760 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I'm not comfortable with doing it, but also do not know if there are legal ramifications, or will the Creditors follow the money and start hounding me ?

Without knowing any detail it's impossible to say. I'd doubt creditors could come to you for money, but you may be committing a crime... even a felony.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:04 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceTheHousekeeper View Post
If you are successful in cashing the check for him, then obviously, cashing the check is not illegal

But how would the bank know? Maybe if you walked up to a teller and said, "My friend has endorsed this over to me so I can cash it and he can avoid creditors attaching his bank account", they wouldn't cash it. I doubt they do much verification, though, other than to make sure you have enough funds in your account to cover it in case the check bounces or the endorsement is a forgery, and that you supply proper ID.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:08 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Sounds like a bad idea. Friends and finance should be kept separate unless there is a lot of trust and properly prepared legal documents involved.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:14 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceTheHousekeeper View Post

That is your answer

Now the reason he wants to cash it, those are his reasons so will not address that.
The bank may cash the check but the OP could be opening himself up to liability for aiding and abetting fraud by helping the friend hide money from creditors. There will be a record of where the check gets cashed if the authorities go poking around.

As a general matter, there are plenty of fraudulent checks that get past the banks' screening processes and are cashed so that fact that a check is cashed is no assurance that the transaction is legal.

Don't do it OP.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:24 PM

784 posts, read 729,897 times
As long as you get a 10% cut, I see not reason why not to do it. There is nothing illegal about it. He is claiming the money for taxes, he has to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Without knowing any detail it's impossible to say. I'd doubt creditors could come to you for money, but you may be committing a crime... even a felony.
How is cashing a legitimate check for someone a crime?

Old 04-23-2019, 10:35 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
> Sounds shady

Only because it is.

Umm, you need to get new friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance